lower price scope??

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

lower price scope??

Post by newpep »

Are there any good silhouette scopes that are in the $300 to $400 range? If so, please tell me which ones, details, name and magnification? I don't like a "1" fixed magnification.
If there are good ones that are used, that will help too.
Thanks so much.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: lower price scope??

Post by Trent »

My vote would go towards a used Leupold vxII 6-18 with target knobs.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

Out of all the other viewers, no one else has any ideas?
Thanks again
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

newpep wrote:Out of all the other viewers, no one else has any ideas?
Problem for me is the price range. Not alot of new choices in that range. I have a vortex crossfire 2 6-18 that has a .4mil dot reticle that would work.

More likely is to keep your eyes open for a quality used scope.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

The Weaver KT16 was a good choice in that range, but Weaver dropped that model. If you find a used one in good shape, get it!

Even a used Leupold VXII/VX2 6-18x40 with target turrets is worth $450, although a non-target model would cost less. The least expensive new scope I can vouch for costs $599, way outside your budget, but if you're going to spend $300-$400 anyway, try to hold out until either you find a bargain used scope or you can afford a good one. Most of us have gone through this and learned the hard way.

Fortunately, good glass holds value really well, and when it's time to trade-up something like the Leupold VX2 6-18x40 would resell easily, although that's a really versatile scope to keep handy. Beware of any deals "too good to be true", because there are counterfeits out there.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I see used Weavers all the time on RFC and other places for around $300-325, Might be the small dot and 1/8th clicks but its a Weaver in his range. Or perhaps he could find a Bushnell 4200 6-24 with the dot closer to $350-400 that would allow him adjust the mag till he got used to it. That would be my suggestions.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

In that price range you can get a weaver V16 or V24. I really like my V16. Good glass. It repeats. I sent it to T K Lee and he put a hefty dot in it. Others have bought V24's. The inky knock in these is the view has low contrast. Kinda washed out as compared to a leupold. Another choice is the sightron S2, but I like the weavers better
- Joe
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

I don't want a fixed scope, I need to be able to adjust as I get better. I am using mine on 9 now, I know that is low, but have to start some where.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

What is the feeling out there about a Nikon Monarch 4-15X50? I don't plan on doing anything more than 100 meters, normal small bore silhouette.
Thanks
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Dee wrote:I see used Weavers all the time on RFC and other places for around $300-325, Might be the small dot and 1/8th clicks but its a Weaver in his range. Or perhaps he could find a Bushnell 4200 6-24 with the dot closer to $350-400 that would allow him adjust the mag till he got used to it. That would be my suggestions.

Dee

Listen to Dee, this is very good advice............
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

newpep, Nikon does not have the tracking reliability that Weaver, Leupold and Sightron have. Great glass but this sport is constantly adjusting elevation at the very least.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

Thanks Mary, I am learning. How about a FS Sightron SII 416x42 ?
Thanks again
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

Price on the Sightron is $280.00.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Trying to research the model you listed and it appears there are a lot of variations. In this game there are advantages to having a reticle you are comfortable with, typically crosshairs or dot, mil dot tends to be too much of a distraction for most shooters. Number of clicks per minute of angle is another thing to watch for, 4 clicks per minute is a lot easier to deal with than 8 when in a match situation where there are plenty of other distractions. The ability to have distinct clicks and finger knobs as opposed to coin adjustments is another plus. Power choice is good, I tend to go a little heavier (18 to 40, or 6 to 24) but that again is a personal choice, and should match your abilities. Bell diameter is good, stick to 42mm or less to avoid mounting issues, 42 and 40 are good choices, 36 tends to loose the available light and in early morning late evening can be a disadvantage, and 50mm gets to a mounting problem and stay within the rules for scope height.
Remember scopes are transferable to other rifles, so investing in good glass is never a loss and in most Weavers, Leupolds and some Sightrons the value of used is still strong.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

newpep wrote:Price on the Sightron is $280.00.
If I didn't have an established frame of reference (or preference), and could buy this scope at that price, that's what I'd do. I did a quick check at opticsplanet.com and the non-Big Sky scope was listed at $365. That would appear to be a great price on a scope that would serve well on a varmint/deer/antelope rifle IF you decide to get a bit more power later.

....just one man's opinion.....