Experience w/ Sightron SII scope (SII2444D) ?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
j1132s
B Poster
B Poster

Experience w/ Sightron SII scope (SII2444D) ?

Post by j1132s »

I'm thinking about buying the above Sightron SII 24x target scope for my CZ452 .22LR rifle to be used in smallbore rifle silhouette competitions.

I've never looked thru a Sightron SII scope before (actually so far, all my scopes have been various Burris Fullfield 2s and their handgun scopes).

If you've used SII before, how does it compare regarding the optics to other manufacturers you know (esp. Burris ff2 line).

Here's Sightron's description:
http://sightron.com/index.php?action..._id=1169148282

thanks!

I'm deciding between this and the Weaver T24; Sightron's price is about the same as T24 but has a bigger objective lens, so I thought it may be worthy a consideration. I also wouldn't mind buying another Burris, but I don't see anything in their lineup that's a good match in this price range.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

j1132s,
I hve not shot a Sightron scope in quite a while, because the larger objective can be a nuisance to to get mounts for and my stature is small thus I do not do well with higher mounts. The scope is a good scope and Sightron is a great company to work with if there are any problems. I tend to go along with several others posting in various sections on this forum, 1/8 minute clicks can be a lot to keep up with and usually at some point will cause problems always when it really counts in a big match!!!
I have shot with several Weaver T series from 10 to 36 powers, all are good scopes but as I have grown older and the eyes are starting to fail the brighter scopes have their advantage.

In other words, both scopes are good, look at the mounting configurations that you will need and your own personal needs when it comes to vision. I think Sightron has a better warranty of the two, but both have been dependable good mid-price range scopes.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've actually tried that same scope on a CZ 452 Varmint. The scope has 4.33" of eye relief, which sounds like a good thing on the surface. In actually, it makes it hard to get the scope far enough forward, especially on a rimfire rifle with a short receiver like the CZ. The Sightron had glass about equal to an older Weaver T24 that I had, but neither was as clear or bright as the new T24 (1/4 minute clicks, 1/2 minute dot). If I were you and planned on only using the scope on the CZ for smallbore silhouette, I'd probably go with the Weaver.
j1132s
B Poster
B Poster

Post by j1132s »

Thanks for the quick replies.

I think I'm going to go with the Weaver T24. Now, the next question, how do I know which T24 is the "new" T24?

BTW, I'm planning to buy this one:
https://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?c ... D=SN849989

Firstly, is this the new Weaver T24?

Its adjustment is 1/4MOA, and its dot size is a bit small. What do you think?

One more thing, should I just go to the 36x?
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

For my taste, the 1/8 MOA dot is too small, even though the scope is great.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

That's a great price on the Weaver T24, but the 1/8 minute dot is way too small for silhouette use, in my opinion. You can get it changed out, though. As a matter of fact, I think the 1/2 minute dot in my T24 is a bit too large and I plan on having it changed out for a .4 or 3/8 minute dot when I have time.
orangeblaster
B Poster
B Poster

Sightron

Post by orangeblaster »

Going back to the original post. I recently bought a SII 24x44 Sightron (non big sky) and mounted it to a CZ American. My first impressions are the scope has very long I relief. Seems it would be a nice touch if you shoot something with kick. However that could be a problem for some guns (small actions) and some mounts. On the CZ American 22 with BKL 257 rings the eye relief is not an issue.
EDIT: After a few practice rounds... It is not easy to get a normal head position / eye focus without moving the scope to the very most forward posible mounting due to the very long eye relief.
The glass is good and seems comparable to Weavers made in Japan, but I haven't used the "new" weavers discussed by others. My only complaint is the elevation adjustment is roughly 30 MOA and not 60 MOA as claimed by Sightron. I will need to shim this scope or get new rings because my current set up centers too low for the scope to reach the rams.
Last edited by orangeblaster on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j1132s
B Poster
B Poster

Post by j1132s »

Thanks for your comments. I just received my Weaver T24 last Friday and tested it this weekend. I'm happy with its optical quality; although I think my Burris FF2s are brighter.

One thing that is annoying (perhaps it is due to my inexperience with target knobs; this Weaver is my first scope w/ target knobs) is that the elevation knob clicks to the middle of the hash marks instead of on each mark. Is there an easy way to fix this?
orangeblaster
B Poster
B Poster

Post by orangeblaster »

the elevation knob clicks to the middle of the hash marks instead of on each mark. Is there an easy way to fix this?the elevation knob clicks to the middle of the hash marks instead of on each mark. Is there an easy way to fix this?
Did you remove the turret and reset it yet?
j1132s
B Poster
B Poster

Post by j1132s »

orangeblaster,

Removing the turret and replacing it doesn't help in my situation.

Basically, the line marks on the turret dosn't line up with the line on the base/scope. It is a bit annoying because the line on the base is right between the lines on the turret.

I might look more into what can b done with regards to adjusting the brass-looking thing that the turrets go on.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Those marks are pretty close together. There will always be a tiny bit of "slop." The purpose of the marks is to allow you to return the setting to the same place each time. They will serve that purpose admirably even if the index line stops between marks. Don't get too equipment-anal about this sport. It will distract you from your shooting. FWIW.