Dual Purpose Reticle

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Dual Purpose Reticle

Post by SqHunter »

Hello folks,

I am trying to get a silhouette rig together after some three years absent from competing. Having to buy the whole outfit again, and am looking at scopes. The last time I shot silhouette I had a Leupold EFR with a 1/2 min dot. I loved the scope for silhouettes, but sold it out of frustration because the reticle was unusable in the woods small game hunting. So... my question is, do any of you use or can recommend a reticle that could do both? I am toying with the idea of putting a "Heavy Duplex" in another EFR, with the intention of using it for both squirrel hunting and silhouettes. Do you think it would work? What about one of the smaller dots for hunting, as in a 3/8 dot on the tapered crosshair?

I have tried the regular duplex in several Leupolds, but find that it washes out after a while and causes eye fatigue, and have also tried smaller dots in the woods with the same result. What would work for both? Another idea was to try one of the tactical scopes, such as the new Trijicon 5.5-20 with the Green Triangle reticle. Would anyone have experience with the tracking of this scope? Thanks again!

Edit to add: I should have mentioned my question is regarding scopes for a Hunter class smallbore rifle.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Dual Purpose Reticle

Post by cedestech »

Heavy plex is going to be your best bet I'd think.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Dual Purpose Reticle

Post by SqHunter »

cedestech wrote:Heavy plex is going to be your best bet I'd think.
Thank you, I may just order one. If nothing else a heavy plex in an EFR should make a fine Varmint scope if it fails to work for silhouettes!