Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 6-18x40 AO for Rimfire Hunter

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Juganort
Unclassified Poster

Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 6-18x40 AO for Rimfire Hunter

Post by Juganort »

G'day all,

Fairly new to the sport of shooting and in particular metallic silhouette, I've been looking at picking up this scope, Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 6-18x40 AO, at first I thought it was mostly used on AR's but seems like it would fit the bill for MS. Thought I'd try and get some feed back from people involved in the sport before I make a purchase. Is anyone here using this scope successfully or have any thoughts on its suitability for MS?

Couple of points about the scope, there's only two scope options, fine duplex and mil dot. Was originally thinking fine duplex but not sure on that now, any thoughts?
The dials are in mils or MRAD not MOA.
I'm in Australia so it'll be AUD$555 on special next week, RRP is US$624 at the Leupold site.

Cheers all

Jug
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 6-18x40 AO for Rimfire Hunter

Post by Innocent »

Jug,
Couple of comments from experience, not with this particular scope but with shooting MS for a few years. Stay away from mil dots, way too much to see and think about while shooting offhand. Simple crosshairs or dot, your personal preference there. This game requires knowing your scope and elevations for each distance, less clicks per minute for adjustment the better. My quick review of this model it appears to be at least eight and maybe ten clicks per minute of adjustment, this will frustrate you in the long run, stick to 4 clicks if you can.
Cheers.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Juganort
Unclassified Poster

Post by Juganort »

Thanks Mary,

From the research I'd done on MRAD scope adjustments I thought 1 click was equal to 0.36 of an inch, effectively making it a 1/3 MOA adjustment which would mean less clicks than a 1/4 MOA adjustment scope? Does that sound right?

Cheers

Jug
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

MOA is actually a bit more precise, but your real issue is that the accumulated experience of other silhouette shooters - your pool of potential spotters and mentors - is with MOA, not Mil. Stay with a VX2 Target model even though the turrets are cumbersome on dual use rifles. In the US, it and the AR 1 are the same price unless you choose the target dot model - that option adds $50US for some elusive reason.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Jug,
After spending sometime chatting with a friend who shoots both silhouette and long distance targets as well his response is the same as mine, do not try the AR for a silhouette scope, it is too complicated for this game.
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Juganort
Unclassified Poster

Post by Juganort »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll check out the VX 2 Models. Just for my info, is it the fact that the AR mod 1 is in mils that makes it more complicated over a VX2 or is there another feature I was overlooking that made it harder to use?

Cheers,

Jug
Juganort
Unclassified Poster

Post by Juganort »

Just some feedback for anyone looking at this scope. Been using it for range shooting and a couple of silhouette shoots, does everything that anyone else's scope on silhouette night does. Zeroed at the chickens, 6 clicks for the pigs, 14 for turkeys and 24 for the rams out of a savage MKII using CCI stds. Very happy with the purchase.