Sightron Sleeper

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Sightron Sleeper

Post by BCloninger »

atomicbrh wrote:Since I am presently un-employed(retired but need another job) I worked with scope, ammo and rifle combinations all day in an attempt to put a better small bore rig together for my wife. She wound up with a older Weaver T24 on a 1712 in a Pharr stock as the best combination for her. The image quality was noticeably better than the newer Leupold 30X it replaced. I would never have imagined that.
I've noticed the same thing between an older Leupold BR 24x40 and a new 25x40. The older BR 24 definitely has better glass, and it was quite a disappointment.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Dave W
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Dave W »

BCloninger wrote:
atomicbrh wrote:Since I am presently un-employed(retired but need another job) I worked with scope, ammo and rifle combinations all day in an attempt to put a better small bore rig together for my wife. She wound up with a older Weaver T24 on a 1712 in a Pharr stock as the best combination for her. The image quality was noticeably better than the newer Leupold 30X it replaced. I would never have imagined that.
I've noticed the same thing between an older Leupold BR 24x40 and a new 25x40. The older BR 24 definitely has better glass, and it was quite a disappointment.
Makes me feel better about going with the Sightron Sil. Too bad it is being discontinued. I would have bought the Leupold if it were not so expensive and would hate to have spent the extra money to find the glass clarity had deteriorated in later production years, mine was a 93'. We should be writing Sightron asking them to keep the scope in production, though when you look at a list of who shot what at the nationals it might be a hard sell. Probably should write Leupold as well telling them we noticed. Dave
Dave W
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Dave W »

There is a nice Sightron Big Sky 6-24x42 Sil scope over on Rimfire Central. Nothing to do with me, if I was not in the middle of building a gun I would grab it. $400 or 450 with rings.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vb ... d&id=72208

Dave

Edit - Gone already. It was a good deal on a scope Sightron is not going to make anymore.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

In February, I bought Bushnell's, 4200, 8-32X40, w Duplex, that also has been discontinued. We just went out doors 2 weeks ago and I'm out for verdict on the Duplex reticle. I bought the Bushnell to replace my Sightron SIL as the Dot was getting harder to see and am experiencing deterioration in my left eye. I am LH and WAS L eye dominate and with the Bushnell Duplex, I am able to bracket the animal.

Late February, my eye doctor was able to sharpen up the left lens for distance. Clarity is much better and am able to see the fine cross hairs in the Duplex. In late August, I plan to remount the SIL Sightron and see if dot is still there without straining the eyes. I see the eye doctor again in August.

In either case, I will be selling one of the scopes, based on doctors consultation in August. I need only one scope as only have the one rifle and is for SB Silhouette. I have the original boxes with accompanying papers that came w the scopes.
The optics in these 2 model scopes, have outstanding quality.

It appears that the scope manufactures are going with side focus with longer parallax, hunting, except L?
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I decided to remount my Sightron SIL last week and the target dot is MOST visible with the tweaking of the left lens for distance.

I plan to have a for sale sign and pictures of the Bushnell 4200 scope with duplex reticle on our club board, sometime next week. I have no use for it as have just the one rifle. I probably at the same time, will sell my granddaughters Savage Youth scoped rifle too, as has no more interest.

I am happy to be able to use the target dot reticle, but was prepared if not.
Jon
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/