Sightron Sleeper

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Dave W
B Poster
B Poster

Sightron Sleeper

Post by Dave W »

Getting back to smallbore sil after a 10 year layoff. Not as serious as I was, but still want good equipment. I had my early 90's 54:18/Premier Leupold rig stolen a few years ago, tough to replace that:( and money is tighter than it was. The going rate for a Sightron 6-24 SIL is about $650 but their SII 6-24 is $375. I would prefer the 1/2 min dot and the 1/4 clicks of the SIL, but for the $290 difference? What am I missing? Also in places the SIL model appears to be discontinued. Thanks much. Dave
Dave W
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Sightron Sleeper

Post by Dave W »

Follow up:
It would have been good to hear another opinion on the difference between these two scopes, but I played it safe. A used, but "like new" Sil model showed up on eBay and I got it at the asking price of 499. Not cheap, but it was as advertised like new, not a mark on it. After having a Varix III/Premier for all those years I did not want to go the "cheap" route and risk being sorry later. BTW, the glass in the Sightron is very good. Wish I still had my Leupold to compare it side by side. Now to mount it and put it to work. It is still showing up in various places as discontinued, but not on Sightron's web site. I also tried Chicken George at the Yahoo email, but got no response.

Dave
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Several years ago I was able to compare a Sightron Big Sky series scope to a Leupold FX3 25x40, and actually thought the Sightron glass was clearer. Heresy, but just my opinion.

Leupold is more consistent with their model line-up, so you always have a good idea which model is suited for which task, while Sightron regularly discontinues models and can be difficult to follow. Also, Leupold is very helpful with reticle changes, Custom Shop service and builds (at MAP cost), and warranty service, all of which boosts resale price if you ever want to let one go. Long term, Leupold is the better value.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

I, as you, thought hey look here, this one is cheaper. Always a reason why cheaper is cheaper. Good luck finding the dot in the S11. Sent mine back and got the Sil dot. I have three of them on my air rifles. Have had no problems with any of them. According to Sightron they are air rifle rated. I have Leupolds on other guns, and you can't beat them, or there service. I went with the Sightrons because I wanted a little more magnification and the capability to focus at 20 yards. The Leupold 6.5x20's will focus at air rifle distances, but the fixed 25 and 30's won't. Be nice if the Sightron adjustment knobs where a little better. But then I could play president, and golf too. :-?
Stay Safe,
Mark
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have owned and used several Sightron scopes for silhouette. There is a big different in the standard SII model and the SIIB Big Sky models. The glass in the standard model SII scopes was noticeably worse than the typical Leupold FX-3 and VX-3 scopes used in silhouette. The SIIB Big Sky SIL model was at least as good as the Leupolds, and seemed to be a bit better that particular day in those conditions (sunny, late afternoon). I'd actually say the glass in my Weaver T-24 is slightly better than glass in the standard model Sightron SII fixed 24X scope that I had, and the Weaver is good but not great.

I'm actually hoping to pick up a Sightron SIIB 6-24x42 SIL for my highpower silhouette rifle before the matches start back up next year. I do think it's the best scope out there for rifle silhouette currently. The FX-3 can be had in 25X or 30X, but they won't focus as close as I'd like for some practicing. I don't think the 6.5-20X Leupolds give enough growing room as a shooter progresses, as many AAA and master class shooters use 24X or higher magnification to aid with picking a spot on the target. The Sightron SIL model does weigh 3 more ounces than a Leupold FX-3(17.6 vs 14.6) if someone is really close to a weight limit, though.
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

I have the Sightron big sky silhouette scope and I think it is great. The glass is very clear and I like the size of the dot. As many have said, the clicks don't feel very definite but the adjustments work and seem to be repeatable.

I just looked at the equipment survey from Nationals and was surprised to see only one competitor used this scope? Any ideas why?
Dave W
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Dave W »

This was the response when I asked a Sightron rep about the availability of the Silhouette model of this scope. The "for 2015" part may be why it is not listed as discontinued on their website yet. I do not know whether they have any stock or not and if it can be ordered. This is why I paid a fairly steep price for a used scope, though the one I got has not a mark on it. I have been used to a variable power scope for sil shooting for years and did not want to go for a fixed power scope. The Leupold was just a bit out of my price range. I would rather put that extra money into the gun and ammo for practice. If this scope repeats as it has been reported to, I am a happy camper with it. The glass is great. Dave

Dave,

Yes Sir, we are discontinuing the SIIB62442SIL for 2015. This current model has been in production since 2008 and we are discontinuing for new product development.

Best,

Stephen Glenn

Sightron, Inc.
100 Jeffrey Way
Ste. A
Youngsville, NC 27596
Tel: +1-919-562-3000
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Thanks for the update on that. I was torn between buying one now while I still could and waiting for what Sightron might come out with next. I've been bitten by sitting on the fence like that before, though, so I searched around and found one in stock for a pretty decent price. I should have it on my highpower silhouette rifle in a week. :)
Dave W
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Dave W »

Jason wrote:Thanks for the update on that. I was torn between buying one now while I still could and waiting for what Sightron might come out with next. I've been bitten by sitting on the fence like that before, though, so I searched around and found one in stock for a pretty decent price. I should have it on my highpower silhouette rifle in a week. :)
Jason, Glad to hear you found one. I got very close to the auction deadline and could not find one in stock at what I felt was a reputable dealer. Guess it is get em while you can.

Dave
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Jason wrote:Thanks for the update on that. I was torn between buying one now while I still could and waiting for what Sightron might come out with next. I've been bitten by sitting on the fence like that before, though, so I searched around and found one in stock for a pretty decent price. I should have it on my highpower silhouette rifle in a week. :)
It won't be a silhouette model of any kind according to the lady I spoke on the phone with today. She said they were discontinuing the line to "make room for new models in the SIII line", but nothing silhouette related.

I'm quite perturbed about this to be honest.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Ah well - based on this and the information on gear used at the Nationals, an Anschutz 1712 with a Leupold scope is still the preferred combination, followed by a CZ with Weaver. Kitty tried to beat this into my thick head years ago, but I finally, grudgingly, accept it. And nothing has happened to change this for at least the last 10 years.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The one I found that was in stock actually wasn't, but the company was great about letting me know that immediately and giving me a date that it would ship out. It should be here on Wednesday. If it's as good as the ones that I have used that belonged to others, there's a pretty good chance a couple other unused rifles/scopes will go away so I can accumulate more of the Sightron SIL model before they go away.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I really need another, but haven't been able to find one at the prices I did last time I purchased one. sigh
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

quote="BCloninger"]Ah well - based on this and the information on gear used at the Nationals, an Anschutz 1712 with a Leupold scope is still the preferred combination, followed by a CZ with Weaver. Kitty tried to beat this into my thick head years ago, but I finally, grudgingly, accept it. And nothing has happened to change this for at least the last 10 years.[/quote]

Since I am presently un-employed(retired but need another job) I worked with scope, ammo and rifle combinations all day in an attempt to put a better small bore rig together for my wife. She wound up with a older Weaver T24 on a 1712 in a Pharr stock as the best combination for her. The image quality was noticeably better than the newer Leupold 30X it replaced. I would never have imagined that.
Last edited by atomicbrh on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Like in fine wines Great Whiskey, and some Women, Age is not always a bad thing.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!