Leupold 6.5-20 questions

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

Leupold 6.5-20 questions

Post by Groundpounder17 »

I have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 side turn (30mm tube) with the fine plex that I will be putting on an Anschutz 1712. I'd like to send the scope to have turrets and reticle changed. I do have a few questions and any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'd like a reticle I could use for silhouette, squirrel hunting, bench shooting, and general purpose. I've read that the heavy plex would be a good reticle but I'm wondering if there are better options. I'm considering the following: SPR, pig pled, turkey plex, German #1, German #4 dot, leupold dot, target dot, and TMR.

As far as turrets I'm wondering if I can change from the moa adjustment to a mil adjustment. If so which turrets are these? If I cant change to Mil from moa what is my best option? The M1? Do they have any other with small adjustment like the M1 but a Lower profile?
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Leupold 6.5-20 questions

Post by Boyd L. »

Any reticle can be used for the purposes you described. However some of them won't do all those jobs very well. If you had to have one reticle I think a duplex would probably come as close as possible to filling all four roles.
As far as turrets it doesn't matter. You will be counting clicks and making notations where each set of clicks takes you on the turret regardless of the turret markings. So pick the one you want.

Compromise is wonderful for the good of the many, but completely unnecessary for the good of the one.
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

Thanks. I prefer mils as that is what I've used the past 17 yrs so if the mil adjustment is available for turrets I'd like those. I guess I need to call leupold.

Anyone have experience with the nonilluminated German dot? What size dot?
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Leupold will probably try to talk you out of the Mil conversion, so please post what you find out.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

Why would they try to talk me out of mil adjustments? It doesn't surprise me as most Americans use MOA. I don't know what my options are for turrets as leupolds website is difficult to find the useful info. Anyone have experience with custom turrets and or reticles from someone other than leupold?
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

I ran into this from the other direction when I wanted a particular scope, that was only available with Mils, converted to MOA and found out that would take different internals. Knobs alone are $60 each, so the cost runs up quickly. Alternatively, you have a very desirable scope, so you might consider selling it and buying a new one calibrated in mils.
- C.S. Lewis
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

BCloninger wrote:I ran into this from the other direction when I wanted a particular scope, that was only available with Mils, converted to MOA and found out that would take different internals. Knobs alone are $60 each, so the cost runs up quickly. Alternatively, you have a very desirable scope, so you might consider selling it and buying a new one calibrated in mils.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm fine using moa I just much prefer mils. I'll still get the turrets and reticle changed but I would like something like the m1 turrets but not as tall. Does leupold have anything like this with 1/4 moa adjustment? If not leupold who sells some?

As far as reticle I think I've narrowed it just a bit. I'm now looking at 3/8 leupold dot (is this the large?) and german #1 (I wonder what the size of the lines are?). For now I'll just give the fine duplex a try to see how I like it.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Leupold Custom Shop built me a VX2 6-18x40 with a 3/8's Leupold dot and their CDS style dials.
Leupold VX2 6-18x40

You're probably looking for something like this:
Leupold Mark AR MOD 1
- C.S. Lewis
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

I almost bought that scope but decided to go with the 6.5-20. It was several small differences that swayed my decision. If this was for a long range shooter I would have only bought a scope with mil adjustments but for a rimfire it really doesn't matter.

I'll definitely change to some type of exposed turret but I'll keep the fine duplex reticle for now. I do think I might would like it the 3/8 leupold dot. This is what leupold calls the large leupold dot correct?
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

BCloninger wrote:Leupold Custom Shop built me a VX2 6-18x40 with a 3/8's Leupold dot and their CDS style dials.
Leupold VX2 6-18x40

You're probably looking for something like this:
Leupold Mark AR MOD 1
Was it already cds or is that an option they can add?
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Groundpounder17 wrote:Was it already cds or is that an option they can add?
They used a CDS as the basis for my scope, so I don't know if you can simply buy the dials and put them on. They're about right for range use, but my older son fussed about having exposed dials when he borrowed the rifle for deer hunting this all. My reply was predictable.
- C.S. Lewis
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

I prefer exposed turrets. I've decided to just get leupold to put a set of m1s on it
Groundpounder17
B Poster
B Poster

My Kelbly rings with 25 moa arrived today. They are very nice! I'm going to have leupold add the m1 turrets. I'm have not yet decided on the reticle yet. I hope to look at some this weekend