Sub $400 Vari-X starter scope?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Sub $400 Vari-X starter scope?

Post by LH2 »

I'm looking to try smallbore silo for the first time and I'm learning pretty quickly not to 'cheap out' on equipment if at all possible, especially glass.

What can you guys suggest in a variable scope, with dot, up to $400 or so?

Open to suggestion on magnification as well, maybe 6-18x or 8-24x?

Thanks!
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

I do not have time for more of an answer at this time- but wanted to provide the link below for K.T. Lee Co. They will install dots on a variety of scopes. I have not worked with them- but they have been around for a long time.

http://scopedot.com/id5.html

It will be relativly easy to find a scope which fits your requirements- other than having a dot large enough to be useful. Most of the factory dots are 1/8 min- which is too samll in my opinion.

Seems to me I recently saw an advert for a BSA scope with a 1/2 min dot, but have not looked into it.

My suggestion would be to spend a bit more and get a Bushnell 4200 6x24 or 8x32, then have a dot installed by Bushnell for $55. Cabelas has the 6x24 for $480 and 8x32 for 530. The scopes have the the distances we use marked on the parallax ring- and they are accurate and fast to adjust. Optics are excellet. The only relative disadvantage is the 1/8 min clicks
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Post by LH2 »

Thx for the link.

On the Bushnell 4200, is it possible to order direct and have the dot installed, or do I have to buy from a retailer and mail the scope back to Bushnell?

What's considered a good size dot to install?
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

I ended up buying (2) of these (The 8-32X) last week for $330 each delivered.. Can be bouught new for $425 or so w/o any searching from reputable dealers (straightshooters.com, airguns of AZ, swfa.com, etc.)

Dot size...I would go (and am going with mine) with the 1/4 min dot, the 1/2 MOA dot is going to be TOO big in my opinion...Keep in mind the dot gets bigger as the power goes down...Look below at my chart and someone correct me if I'm wrong, please

6-24X scope

6X ...... ..... 12X............ 18X ...... ..... 24X
2MOA ...... 1.5MOA ...... 1MOA ...... 1/2 MOA This is the 1/2 MOA Dot

1MOA ...... .75MOA....... .5MOA ...... 1/4MOA This is the 1/4 MOA Dot

8-32 Scope

8X ........... 16X ............ 24X ........... 32X
2MOA ...... 1.5MOA ...... 1MOA ...... 1/2 MOA This is the 1/2 MOA Dot

1MOA ...... .75MOA....... .5MOA ...... 1/4MOA This is the 1/4 MOA Dot
Image Chicken George
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Here ya go...

Post by GeoNLR »

You asked for a ~ $400 scope...

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3285

It's the 6-24 4200 bushnell w/ the 1/4 dot installed.... $389
Image Chicken George
rick_687
Unclassified Poster

Good Stuff

Post by rick_687 »

That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for Chicken George. I'm a new shooter and have a 1416D and a 1710D (I didn't need to preface that with Anschutz did I?). Both already have scopes (BSA Platinum 8-32X44 and B&L 6-24X40, respectively) but they're not permanently mounted. The features I value most are: repeatability, ease of adjustment, 1/4" dot and AO. The BSA has an 1/8" dot and it is too small. The B&L has fine crosshairs. Right now I'm shooting at 12-16X since the wobblies are too strong at higher powers, but hope to see the day when I'll actually need the 32X. I'm looking at a Sightron 6-24, Weaver (whatever model) and the Bushnell 3200-4200 series. In the meanwhile, my intention is to practice and shoot the match March 4. Thanks for the information!
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Do you know the Dawg, or do you need an intro? LOL
Image Chicken George
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Rick,

The only thing you mentioned that the 4200's don't have is 1/4 MOA adjustments. They have 1/8 MOA clicks. I handled mine for mere mins before I sent it off to have the dot installed. In this short time peroid I was impressed and I don't see a problem with it. Last 1/8 MOA adjustment scope I tried was a $1,000 Leupold straight 40X competition series... Either mine was broke or they are just junk as I did not care for the method needed to reset the target knobs. Took it off the rifle within 5 mins of installing it... The bushnell could not have made it more easy...

The turret has a "sprocket" type teeth that line up with the knobs.
There is a finger adjustable knob at the top that is used to release the knob.
The knob has to be picked up a distance and then re-set to zero.
Once the knob is set back down on the turret, re-tighten the small thumb screw on top.
If you make it "click" while tighting .. no problem...the "teeth" have already caught and your setting is true.
Also you are EXACTLY on a hash mark..not to the left or right...

I'll make sure and give you a range up-date once my scope is back from getting the dot.
Image Chicken George
rick_687
Unclassified Poster

Dawg

Post by rick_687 »

lives about 2 miles from me and has been kind enough to guide me through the startup process. Despite what others say, he's a good guy. :D Seriously, I've been amazed at the shooters in silhouette and appreciate their (especially his) help. They are eager to help with advice, equipment and tips. We've been practicing in the afternoons but the B&L is still giving me fits. We got it right for the chickens but it was marginal for the pigs. I never touched a turkey (but that's no surprise) and couldn't hit a ram even using a benchrest. Something isn't right with the scope. We'll work on it. First step might be moving the BSA to the 1710 since I'll probably not shoot the 1416 having been spoiled with the bigger rifle. Again, I appreciate the advice and information. New glass is definitely on the horizon. :lol: