Which air rifle?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
geo01
B Poster
B Poster

Which air rifle?

Post by geo01 »

Guys and girls, just after some opinions on which rifle is suitable as a beginners rifle for silhouette. I will only be shooting in local informal club matches so not after a world beater (at this stage). After reading through a lot of the posts here the HW77 and 97 seem to get a lot of love. My local gun shop has a Gamo CFX synthetic underleaver on the shelf right now that comes in at about half the price of the HW's (this is in Australian dollars). So I was wondering if anyone has used or owns a Gamo CFX or even just has a opinion on these rifles? Are they on par with the HW's or should I just spend the extra and buy a 77 / 97? To add another gun to the mix, a local magazine has just run an article on the Walther LGU and it also looks like it might suit the silhouette matches. So any thoughts or opinions on any of these rifles would be greatly appreciated.

Geo
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Which air rifle?

Post by richard »

There is a reason the Gamo is half the price. Buy the best you can afford. 77, 97, TX are good guns as are the Walther LGV and LCU. Also you might want to consider a used ten meter gun if it will take a scope, Wonderful guns to shoot but a little wimpy out on rams.
Richard
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

richard wrote:There is a reason the Gamo is half the price. Buy the best you can afford. 77, 97, TX are good guns as are the Walther LGV and LCU. Also you might want to consider a used ten meter gun if it will take a scope, Wonderful guns to shoot but a little wimpy out on rams.
I agree with Richard. My suggestion to everyone asking about their first silhouette air rifle is to get a target rifle. I think they are more fun to shoot that the springers. If you have or don't mind buying an air tank, I suggest getting a used PCP 10m rifle. If you don't want to bother with a tank, I'd get a SSP. My dad has a used Anschutz 2002 SSP that he bought for around $600 - it's perfect.

Dustin
geo01
B Poster
B Poster

Post by geo01 »

Hey guys, thank you for the replies. I didn't mean to take so long to post a reply but my very old computer finally decided to pack it in. Replies and answers are much appreciated.

Geo