First hand experience with air rifles as training aides

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

First hand experience with air rifles as training aides

Post by SqHunter »

Does anyone have first hand experience using air rifles as training aides they could share? Specifically, can you attribute your move up in classification to the use of the air rifle? My goal for next year is to come up one rank and I think the air rifle would help me do that, but for the same money I can order two cases of Eley Club. That is a lot of practice!

Also, do you think the air rifle is a better training aide than dry fire or "circle" practice?

Thanks!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: First hand experience with air rifles as training aides

Post by dustinflint »

If having an air rifle makes you shoot more, it will be beneficial to getting better. More shooting = better shooting (all other things being equal like correcting bad habits and practicing the correct things)

Shooting an air rifle is not better than dry-firing if you are dry-firing correctly (all other things being equal like the same amount of air rifle shooting and dry firing). Having an air rifle WILL be better than dry firing IF you are using the air rifle to shoot MATCHES because you will be shooting under match conditions and one of the keys to being good at silhouette is to shoot lots of matches - But if you are comparing shooting one more air rifle match per month to dry-firing a few times a week, dry-firing will be better because you'll be shooting more.

"Circle practice" is ridiculous and does not work.

Dustin
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks Dustin, that makes a lot of sense. I have no intention of competing with an air rifle, the closest match I am aware of is several states away.

Funny you mention that about actual competing vs. practice as I am a good example of your observation. I have only been able to make two matches in the last four years because of work, and I shot a full rank lower at match day than I do in practice each time. Nerves!

Guess I just need to retire and start competing more :)
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I highly suggest retiring and shooting full time to as a means of moving up in class. :-bd

I saw that you are considering starting a club match at your private range. That is a great idea and should help you out. Even if you don't get much participation, you can put your scores in your book and will have a lot more opportunities to move up in class.

Also, heading out to that private range and shooting (or even dry-firing) a few times a week will probably do the trick.

Good scores are about TIMING. Everyone talks about hold, and a good hold is nice, but to hit the target you have to break the trigger at the instant the rifle is aimed at the place you want it to be aimed - that's timing. Good timing is developed and sustained by regular SHOOTING (either live or dry fire.) That's why shooting only at matches, even if you go to a match every weekend, is not going to help much.

Regular shooting (practice) + lots of matches + strong MENTAL game = good silhouette scores

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dustin,
In my 43 years of competing and over 30 years as a certified instructor one thing that I have found is that what works for one person may not work for another. That being said I disagree with you that circle practice is a ridiculous, it may work for some people.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The question asked what I thought. I wrote what I think.

Dustin
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

dustinflint wrote:The question asked what I thought. I wrote what I think.

Dustin
This is kind of funny too, as I try hard not to say or write exactly what I am thinking. It is one way to sustain my marriage and keep my job! I have not always been successful at either one :mrgreen:

Does anyone else have experience with air rifles as training aides? Surely there are some. I believe there are active silhoutte air rifle matches held in St. Louis, Houston, and Baton Rouge. We have heard from those in the South, what about the rest? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The short answer is simple. Of course shooting air rifles will improve your shooting but air rifles are not just for practice. They are a legitimate part of the shooting sports and a real discipline all by themselves. I shoot other disciplines and frankly I shoot lever action, high power, smallbore, light rifle and more simply as practice for shooting air rifle in competition. It's unfortunate that there are no air matches in your area but when that was the case here I started running some. People said there was no interest but if there are no matches of course nobody will come!
Some people look down on airguns because they are low powered and have a short range but they are exactly the advantages of airguns. You need less space to shoot safely and they are accurate within their range and I must admit that they will help you with other disciplines too.
Richard
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

richard wrote:The short answer is simple. Of course shooting air rifles will improve your shooting but air rifles are not just for practice. They are a legitimate part of the shooting sports and a real discipline all by themselves. I shoot other disciplines and frankly I shoot lever action, high power, smallbore, light rifle and more simply as practice for shooting air rifle in competition. It's unfortunate that there are no air matches in your area but when that was the case here I started running some. People said there was no interest but if there are no matches of course nobody will come!
Some people look down on airguns because they are low powered and have a short range but they are exactly the advantages of airguns. You need less space to shoot safely and they are accurate within their range and I must admit that they will help you with other disciplines too.
I am sure i would love air rifles if I ever bought one. Heck, I like any well built rifle! Its just that if you had finite resources and time, which is better, an air rifle or more .22 ammo?

Man I am jealous of your shooting opportunities! Must be real nice to have access to that many matches. We live in a shooting desert, there are no registered silhouette matches at all in KY and the only smallbore match in TN is Chattanooga. I love going down there, but it is still a four hour drive or more. Hard to do more than a couple of times a year!

I have no idea where the nearest large bore silhouette range would be. Maybe in Ft. Smith, AR? Or St. Louis? Either one is out of the question for me.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

richard wrote:The short answer is simple. Of course shooting air rifles will improve your shooting but air rifles are not just for practice. They are a legitimate part of the shooting sports and a real discipline all by themselves. I shoot other disciplines and frankly I shoot lever action, high power, smallbore, light rifle and more simply as practice for shooting air rifle in competition. It's unfortunate that there are no air matches in your area but when that was the case here I started running some. People said there was no interest but if there are no matches of course nobody will come!
This is a great response and I agree 100%. Shooting matches with air rifles is lots of fun and very helpful to the other silhouette disciplines. We are very fortunate to have lots of air rifle silhouette (and all types of silhouette) down here. I believe that the only championship air rifle silhouette matches in the world are in Louisiana and Texas. There are only 3 that I know of (the Nationals in Baton Rouge, the Winnsboro regional championship in Winnsboro, LA and the Texas Championship in Houston (in 2 weeks!!!))
SqHunter wrote:Man I am jealous of your shooting opportunities! Must be real nice to have access to that many matches. We live in a shooting desert, there are no registered silhouette matches at all in KY and the only smallbore match in TN is Chattanooga. I love going down there, but it is still a four hour drive or more. Hard to do more than a couple of times a year!
You may be just the man to make Kentucky and North TN a silhouette hotbed! It sounds like you already have a smallbore range that will easily support a club match and if you have a smallbore range, all you need is a set of targets to have an air rifle range. Talk to Wayne (TexasSilhouette on SteelChickens and this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8954) about a set of resettable targets, start up a match with a little entry fee and over time you'll get back enough money to pay for the targets! If you advertise it a bit you'll end up with a nice little group of local shooters.

Dustin
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Dustin,

You could get a fellow into serious trouble facilitating the way you do. Heck, when I bought this property I was dreaming of a nice little country retirement retreat. Now I have spent all day daydreaming about where to put the high power range, where to put the air rifles, and of course the smallbore silhouette range. It all adds up to more work!

I'll let you know how it goes. Like the old saying, if the Lord is willing it might happen.

-Rex
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

I have a springer air rifle that I use primarily for practice at home because it is difficult to get out to the range on a regular basis. I bought the springer to keep the overall cost down (no tank and accessories required). The double recoil of the springer does force you to follow through to be successful with it.

Just having the opportunity to shoot more has helped me move up in classification.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

jbolt wrote:I have a springer air rifle that I use primarily for practice at home because it is difficult to get out to the range on a regular basis. I bought the springer to keep the overall cost down (no tank and accessories required). The double recoil of the springer does force you to follow through to be successful with it.

Just having the opportunity to shoot more has helped me move up in classification.

Thank you for sharing. This was the thinking behind my original interest in air rifles, but now that we are moving to the farm I am not so sure.

Still would like to try one of those AA 510s though. :D
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

This may not answer your question, as I was training with both to compete with both. I shot smallbore and air rifles in college and it’s my opinion there is not a lot of difference between the two when it comes to training fundamentals. Both require good shot execution, NPA, sight alignment, sight picture and follow through. About the only difference I noted is that it was easier for me to stay on the target and call my shots with an air rifle and it was only a slight difference—but I think that had more to do with the features of the rifles.
If I had an accessible range that didn’t take a long time to get to, I would buy the ammo and use it. I always shot better scores when I was using one rifle. Two rifles, two triggers, two different weights and configurations equal two different learning curves for me. For me it takes less practice time to become proficient with one rifle vs two.
I think air rifles are great for training/competing and the advantage for me is that I don’t have to drive to the range, I can safely shoot in any weather (nice heated garage)---very important here and occasionally I can shoot in a postal, plus the price per shot is nice.
All other things equal and if I wasn’t going to shoot air rifle matches and only smallbore silhouette matches, I would prefer shooting outside with the 22---conditions are big part of the game and it’s easiest for me to learn how to shoot in the wind and varying light conditions by shooting outside in the wind under the sky with the rifle I’m going to shoot in the match---of course, like others have said---practice is key and if an air rifle would get you to practice more, then it might be the deal to help you achieve your goal. Plus a positive, can do it attitude---best of luck with your goal.
Jon Carlisle
Cody, Wy
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

ywltzucanrknrl wrote:This may not answer your question, as I was training with both to compete with both. I shot smallbore and air rifles in college and it’s my opinion there is not a lot of difference between the two when it comes to training fundamentals. Both require good shot execution, NPA, sight alignment, sight picture and follow through. About the only difference I noted is that it was easier for me to stay on the target and call my shots with an air rifle and it was only a slight difference—but I think that had more to do with the features of the rifles.
If I had an accessible range that didn’t take a long time to get to, I would buy the ammo and use it. I always shot better scores when I was using one rifle. Two rifles, two triggers, two different weights and configurations equal two different learning curves for me. For me it takes less practice time to become proficient with one rifle vs two.
I think air rifles are great for training/competing and the advantage for me is that I don’t have to drive to the range, I can safely shoot in any weather (nice heated garage)---very important here and occasionally I can shoot in a postal, plus the price per shot is nice.
All other things equal and if I wasn’t going to shoot air rifle matches and only smallbore silhouette matches, I would prefer shooting outside with the 22---conditions are big part of the game and it’s easiest for me to learn how to shoot in the wind and varying light conditions by shooting outside in the wind under the sky with the rifle I’m going to shoot in the match---of course, like others have said---practice is key and if an air rifle would get you to practice more, then it might be the deal to help you achieve your goal. Plus a positive, can do it attitude---best of luck with your goal.
Jon Carlisle
Cody, Wy
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I believe this answers my question, and has helped me come to a decision. As long as we have the freedom to use the .22LR and ammo is available I think I will stick with it.