Air Pistol Silhouette

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Air Pistol Silhouette

Post by glen ring »

We have a great range North Of Oklahoma City and one of the ranges would be a World class air pistol silhouette range. It's a plinking range with 12 very nice shooting positions with concrete, very nice covering and the shooting positions have very nice stands to shoot off of. The range is 25 yards and is VERY well maintained. Is there enough interest in this area to warrant approaching the board for an Air Pistol Silhouette match day ? I have so much fun shooting air pistol silhouette in the yard but I don't know if there's enough interest to try to start a program. We could accommodate a large group of folks in the range area.
Just Be Nice **==
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Air Pistol Silhouette

Post by atomicbrh »

You never know if an air pistol series will work until you announce the match dates and see who shows up. We are going to try a 6 week Tuesday morning and Tuesday night Air Pistol series in March and April as a test to see if there is enough interest in our area. When we invited people to shoot our monthly Saturday morning Air Rifle series, people always said they were too busy with kids playing sports and previously scheduled family activities.

We already had the targets and the air pistols so it was just a matter of sending in the application to the NRA and sending out updates to our e-mail group to start generating interest. I had a friend turn up yesterday with a brand new in the box Crosman 1701P and fill system. We had a scope mounted and zeroed in just a few minutes. Threw out the Chickens quickly and started having fun. People say the air pistol silhouette is too easy but we are hoping to attract the older retired shooter who no longer feels up to competing with a rifle and the younger shooter who is not ready for rifle silhouette yet. Sometimes you want things to be easy and just have fun hitting a lot of targets.

As a family we have some nice IZH46m pistols that were not being shot enough. Putting on matches forces us to shoot these nice pistols on a routine basis.

We started researching trophies online for awards for this Spring series. Do a little search and you will not believe how cheap trophies with the 3 lines of free engraving are nowadays. Even old people like trophies whether they want to admit it or not.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Air Pistol Silhouette

Post by glen ring »

The upside to Air Pistol Silhouette is it's just plain giggly fun. James Slusher at the Old Fort gun club pulled out his targets and air pistol one day and we all just started giggling every time we hit a target. The walk to set up targets is short, it can be shot on a very small piece of real estate and it's relatively cheap to start. I have a crosman 1701p and I doubt I'll ever be able to shoot up to it's accuracy potential. The sport is VERY quiet ( except for the giggling ) and it teaches very sound shooting fundamentals. I'll give it a whirl next summer and see if we have enough interest. The IHMSA guys shoot it all winter indoors. They may want to give outdoor, standing a try.
Just Be Nice **==