rws rebuild?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

rws rebuild?

Post by silhouette13 »

hi i am primerily a sb shooter but would like to fill my boo with some air rifle,but for real those NICE guns cost more than my 22.

durant7 has infected me with the air rifle bug, i have in my possession a very old rws 45 that needs some work and a 20 cal beeman that appears the seals are junk.both were given to me and i was hopping one may be suitable (if fixed) to compete with the rws is quite heavy and has ann ajustable trigger

either one be ok, does any one compete on the newbie end with a break action or multi pumper?

i want a tx200 like juds but the moolaw is a factor for now

regards
dave
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

If you decide to have some work done and want it done right, the most highly regarded airgun "smith" is Randy Bimrose. barrelbender@earthlink.net
bkbishop
B Poster
B Poster

passing on some advice that worked for me

Post by bkbishop »

Dave,
I was given this advice when I first "caught the silhouette bug".
I know the initial cost of a good air rifle is high, but you will save money in the long run if you buy the right equipment up front and not spend a lot of time/$/effort trying to make something work.
This is especially true if you plan to compete or use the air rifle as a SB practice tool.
If you have been shooting with Judd, then you already know how addictive and satisfying it is to shoot knowing that if you missed, it was your fault and not the equipment.
This old adage applies here as well - "speed costs money - how fast do you want to go ?"
If Judd cannot help you find something that will fit the bill, let me know and I will try to help.
Brad
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

thanks for the replies,

you are of course right,but to eliminate some wallet bulimia how about the techforce/bam b40

it is clearly a chinise knokoff of the tx200(the centerfold rifle in my sock drawer) but then again the ns 522 is a knockoff and boy can it shoot.

any one have any experience with the b40? if it has 90 % of the quality at 1/2 the dollars why not?

dave
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Just like anything else - getting he details right costs more whether it's USA, Germany or China. Managing projects I quickly learned to appreciate the old saying "the first 90% of a project takes 90% of the budget: Finishing the last 10% of the project takes the other 90% of the budget..." Does that explain why 10% more rifle costs 100% more?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

I had the RWS Mod 45 in the 80's

Post by Dee »

was my first break barrel springer and I loved it. They stopped making that model but I have always wanted another. I would shoot everything from squirrels to bull frogs with it and it was very accurate with a Beeman blue ribbon scope. I don't see why this rifle would not be effective for sil shooting especially once gone over and tuned up.

I know what you mean about the costs. I recently purchased my first PCP and with the 4500 psi tank and all it ran $1200 including the cheap scope I put on it. But now I am set on the tank for any PCP and I have a Daystate Harrier on the way as well as a single stroke pnuematic Steyr 10m rifle both from a trade I made so not bad at all there. Now I just need a good springer and will probably get a TX200 for that. I have heard decent things about the B40 and the B50 PCPs but I think no matter what you get you will want to have it tuned and hopped up with a new spring more than likely. Search the Yellow Forum of airguns in the Chinese section for more info on those rifles.

The thing I have always enjoyed about airguns is the cheap ammo of course, but being able to shoot most anyplace even if I can shoot SB and pistols off my porch now. To me the longer time between breaking the shoot and it clearing the barrel demands you have good form and follow through, the airguns show you whats wrong fast and help translate the good form to anything else you shoot. So now I am shooting SB and I am finding the airgun shooting a big plus for that since the times are only a little shorter for SB. With my 10m match air pistol shooting 425 fps if you don't have good follow through it will really show up on the paper, you have to force yourself to maintain the sight picture longer lingering on target to get the placement you want. Since rifle shooting is about technique and form if you can master an airgun with the long times to exit the guns that go BOOM and exit @ 3+ times the velocity are easier to shoot so long as your not recoil shy.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!