Target Air Rifle Pellet choice

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Target Air Rifle Pellet choice

Post by Doodaddy »

Shooting 45 yards in the wind can be tricky with slower velocities like a Target rifle. Which is preferred, a heavier pellet moving slower or a lighter pellet moving faster? Generally speaking.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Target Air Rifle Pellet choice

Post by richard »

Well the answer is that it depends, on what your rifle likes. The ten meter wadcutter type pellets are definitely out. They are great close but not far. I use Crosman premier lites in my Anschutz 8002 for silo which is a 7.9 gr. pellet. I never tried the heavier pellets because the rifle is only a 6fp affair and I figured that the trajectory would be more of an issue. Trajectory is an issue even with the lighter pellets. No matter what, rams are very difficult with a target rifle because of all of the factors. I shot lots of eights and nines before I finally got ten of those guys! Even with that the target air rifles are great guns to shoot silhouette with.
Richard
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

richard wrote:Well the answer is that it depends, on what your rifle likes.
Assuming accuracy is equal between the two.

You're right. The rams are definitely an issue with rifles like these and I'd like to do my part in giving myself the best chance. Though I'd be pretty happy if I shot 8s or 9s for a while. :p
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html

Ballistics engine. Allows for calculation of many aspects of trajectory and has the information of many projectiles already included. It also confirmed what I suspected.