Benjamin Marauder for "Practice"

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Steelshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Benjamin Marauder for "Practice"

Post by Steelshooter »

Picked up some land and could set up an air gun range to practice on. Had looked at an under lever gun (Air Arms) but thinking I'd prefer a PCP, being able to keep form and shoot 5 shots on a bank of targets.

Does anyone have experience with the Marauder in .177 caliber? Have looked at reviews on line and at Pyramid Air, and have seen differing comments on total, first and 2nd stage trigger weights. Spoiled by a standard and hunter Anschutz, so any other trigger is generally a disappointment.

Thinking this PCP to get higher velocities out to the Rams, have heard the 10 Meter guns have issues with wind drift due to their lower velocities at the longer distances.

Any input will be appreciated, also budget constrained, and don't want to spend the money on a true 10 meter gun.

The under lever I'd been looking at was the Air Arms TX200 MKIII

Thanks!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Benjamin Marauder for "Practice"

Post by Jason »

I have a Marauder (the earlier version without the adjustable stock) and I'm very impressed with it, especially for the price. I did tweak the trigger a bit. I remember replacing some spring or something with a washer as a spacer, but it's been a couple years and I don't remember exactly what I did. The trigger was already good out of the box. I was telling Jerry Tureau down at the Southern Nationals about it and said that it was as good as an Anschutz 5109 trigger that comes on an Anschutz 1712 but not really in the league of a 5018 that comes on the true Anschutz target rifles. He didn't believe me until he shot it, and of course he shot it better than I did. :)
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

There are many posts similar to this and there is no real answer. First of all buy an air rifle to shoot in matches itself, not just for practice for other matches with different guns. Second, none of us want to spend a lot of money. Third, no matter whether you buy a spring gun like a TX 200, or a PCP like a Marauder, or a 10 meter gun because there are three different classes in air rifle silhouette. Whatever you get you will be shooting against similar guns.

On to specifics. The Marauder is a decent gun for the money. I have one. Sort of an entry level affair. They are sort of the 10/22 of airguns. You can do a lot of work on them and spend tons of money on them and make them into something great. My Marauder is stock but I do have one of those tricked out 10/22s and what one needs to realize is that at bottom it is still a 10/22. The same thing happens with Marauders. Mine is okay and I have it as a back up gun.

The TX200 is one of the top spring guns. I have had two of them. They have very nice triggers and plenty of power and accuracy. They tend to be a little barrel heavy which is fine for field target but not as good for silhouette. My current spring gun is a ProSport which has the same power plant as a TX and a little better balance for offhand.

10 meter guns are great silhouette guns although they are a bit wimpy on rams and in wind, but they are still a joy to shoot. I have had several of these. My first was a Daisy 126 and I now have a Anschutz 8002.

As far as money is concerned you are going to pay around $500 for a Marauder. Some used TXs and 10 meter guns are in that price range too so money is close to the same. In a perfect world you could buy one of each. Otherwise, pick one (always the best you can afford).
Richard
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Can the first and second stages of the Marauder's trigger be adjusted independently?

Thanks!