Pellet testing: confused about results

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Pellet testing: confused about results

Post by acorneau »

Howdy folks,

I picked up my first air rifle (a TX200) about a month ago and I finally got a chance to do some pellet testing yesterday, but I'm kind of confused about the results and hoping folks can offer up some advice.

Testing was done outside at 25 yards off a stable wooden bench and on Caldwell bags. I shot three 3-shot groups of each pellet after two or three off-target to adjust for scope changes. I tried JBL Diablos in 7.3, 7.87, 8.4, 10.3, JSB Stratton (pointy) 8.3, H&N Field Target 8.64, and some Winchesters (?) that came with the rifle.

I had heard the TX200's usually like the JSB 7.8 or 8.4 so I assumed those would perform the best. After the first set the best groups were from the 7.3's and the 10.3's with groups in the 0.25" to 0.5" range. The H&N 8.64's were third with groups in the 0.5" to 0.75" range. The rest were all 0.75" to 1.25".

I took the top three and shot one five-shot group of each to double check their performance. The 10.3's made a two-hole 0.25" group; the 7.3's made a three-hole 0.25" group; and the 8.64's made a five-hole 0.6" group.

I have the state match next weekend and seeing as I only had 100 test pellets in the 10.3's I decided to hold off on testing those any further. Instead I tried the 7.3's, 7.87's, and 8.4's with off-hand ten-shot groups, again at 25 yards. All three pellets shot around 1" low from the benched position, although the 8.4's shot slightly higher.

As i said, I have the state match next weekend so I need to get this pellet thing sorted out in time to have half a chance of doing a good job. Unfortunately I won't have much (if any) range time between now and then to try different things. Any advice from you air rifle gurus would be certainly appreciated.

:ympray:
Allen Corneau
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Pellet testing: confused about results

Post by Bob259 »

My TX liked the Crosman Priemer's (lighter ones I believe) also give them a try. Remember the big thing with a springer is to let it float and try not to grip it tightly, that will only open up your groups. Keep the bag back where your hand will be to, not forward on the cocking lever.

Hope it helps.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Bob259 wrote:My TX liked the Crosman Priemer's (lighter ones I believe) also give them a try. Remember the big thing with a springer is to let it float and try not to grip it tightly, that will only open up your groups. Keep the bag back where your hand will be to, not forward on the cocking lever.

Thanks. Yeah, the front bag was about where I try to hold with my support hand. I'm not sure how loosely I can hold this beast, it's 10.5 pounds and very front heavy!
Allen Corneau
TangoBob
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TangoBob »

Me oldest son shot a TX - 12 ft pound model - 1st model. He used cossman lites - 7.9 gr I believe - and shot master scores. Leupold scope 18-40 premier boosted and it went about 830 ft/sec. They were washed and lubed with Birchmood Casey Dri-Touch. That was 12 or so years ago. Crossman pellets seem to shoot ok in most air rfiles although some shoot better with others.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Thread revival, huh?

I settled on the JSB Heavy 10.34's because they shot the best in this rifle. At last months Chicken Coop shoot I shot a 45 out of 60 in Sporter, my first official Master score.
Allen Corneau
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Congratulations on the MASTER SCORE!

That's fantastic - regardless of what equipment you are talking about!
Even if it's "easy" you still gotta hit em to get the score!!! Oh yea, we all know about how "easy" this sport is!!!

ShootingStar
Greg
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Thanks Greg.

While I was extremely happy at getting my first official Master score in a match, I'm extra glad that the Chicken Coop shoot is an indoor match and I'm still AAA for outside, that way I'm not competing against the other Master shooters at the Nationals next month.

:D
Allen Corneau
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

Congrats on the master score. I courius about the power your gun is making. I have shot alot of informal sillhouette at my back fence. Several HW and my current TX200 all liked a lighter pellet. I perfer a sub 12fpe springer though. I have found that the couple of JSB 7.?? Gr pellets were more accurate at 25 yds but not so good at 50 yds

I find offhand testing of pellets works best for me. I take a 500 tin and shoot about half in a couple shooting sessions (paper targets). Sometimes results show up very fast. Im just not sure you can get accurate test with a benched springer.

Im just offering something to think about. Your way is working for you.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Allen: I know it is late for this, but congratulations on the master score. Now let's see if you can shoot another one this year at the coop shoot.

I have a 12 fpe spring in my TX. I shoot the JSB 8.4 grain pellets. It is plenty accurate enough for silhouette.