Scope Mount with Drop Compensation Needed?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Scope Mount with Drop Compensation Needed?

Post by ShootingStar »

Hey all,
Just got me an Air Rifle for practice and maybe some Air Rifle Silhouette Competition!!!
Need to put a scope on this thing and of course I'm looking at BKL's cantilevered mounts.
Question is: Do I need the Drop Compensation like I do for Smallbore Silhouettes?

Let the opinions start rolling in!!!

ShootingStar
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scope Mount with Drop Compensation Needed?

Post by acorneau »

If it's a Sporter you'll only use about 2 MOA of adjustment for the four animals. I think if it's a 10m Target rifle you might need a little more but not by much.

Either way I don't think you'll need a compensated mount.

Edit to add: What kind of air rifle did you get?
Allen Corneau
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Allen,
I found an Anschutz SuperAir 2002 SSP at a price I couldn't pass up! :D
Just had it checked out by Elite Shooting Sports of Montana. Joe Hein adjusted a few things on the trigger and replaced seals and I am (almost) ready to go!

Now, my wife says I didn't need to spend that kind of money on such frivolous things - so it remains to be seen how long it stays mine! :-ss But for now, I'm gonna take my Weaver T24 from another rifle and shoot it while I got it! You never know, she may get used to seeing it around the house and forget all about me "wasting our money" - at least that's what I'm hoping!

Everyone - give me some opinions on what pellets I should try. There is a little bit more to try in pellets: head size, weight and brand. Also, where do you folks find your deals on pellets. All this air rifle stuff is new to me! It's like I'm a kid at Christmas again!

ShootingStar
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I got my first air rifle about four months ago so I know what you mean. \:D/

I think the target rifles like the lighter pellets like the 7.3's and 7.8's, at least thats what most of the guys around here seem to use. Get several types and brands and find what your rifle likes. As an example: a lot of people use 8.4's for their TX200 but mine likes the heavy 10.3's the best. The JSB Diablo line is popular but some like the Crossman Premier Lights.

I bought my first big order of pellets through Pyramid. They have a "buy three get the fourth free" deal on their pellets which worked out ok for me. There may be a better place to buy them but I don't know where that might be.

Good luck getting to know your new air rifle.
Allen Corneau
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Allen is right on with his pellet comments. I shoot Crosman Premiers and usually buy them at their field target regional match every year but stay with the light pellets whatever you choose. Lots of shooters favor the JSB pellets these days.
I used to shoot the 2002 in the PCP version and it was a fine rifle. no reason the ssp version should not be as good. Realize however that they are only 6fpe guns so you need lots of elevation to go from chickens to rams. I had to shim the scope and you may as well.
Again, a great silo rifle. Enjoy.
Richard
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Thanks for the input!
I've looked at some of these now but still have a couple questions. . .
Do I pick a weight then try several different head sizes?
The JSBs look like they have a domed shape, but thought wadcutter was more accurate - what's the scoop on head shape and size?
I feel so ignorant! Point me the right way!

Thanks,
ShootingStar
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I think the wadcutters are supposed to make cleaner holes in paper. Shooting at metal silhouettes doesn't require the wadcutters and I can only guess that the domed pellets are easier to load.

Hopefully someone else that really knows what they're talking about will come along and straighten us out.

:p
Allen Corneau
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Wadcutters are very accurate for 10 meter shooting HOWEVER they are not very accurate at longer ranges. I use the wadcutters for practice at 10 meters and for air pistol silhouette which is only out to 18 yards. Stay with domed pellets for air rifle silo. My current gun is an 8002 and I use Premier lights. They are domed and weight 7.9 grains but as I said before, the JSB pellets are probably more popular now.
Richard
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Check with Straight Shooters http://www.straightshooters.com/ and see if they still have their sample packs, like a .22 every air rifle has a pellet it likes best
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)