Springer rated midgrade scope?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Springer rated midgrade scope?

Post by SqHunter »

My wife gave me the RWS 48 kit for Christmas. It came with the RWS 4x scope and RWS mount. The mount seems alright but the scope is a little lacking for silhouette use. Can you recommend a decent scope that will take the springer recoil? Most of the air rifle forums I have observed recommend the Hawke brand of scopes, but as best I can tell the reticles are too small for offhand silhouette shooting. The big Leupold EFR is not in the budget at this time.

Thanks for you time.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Springer rated midgrade scope?

Post by richard »

Well I bit the bullet a long time ago and currently use Leupold scopes pretty much on everything. Some are 20+ yaers old and have never been in for service. Having said that I did read what you said. I have a good friend that shoots only spring air rifles and he likes Bushnell scopes and has used them for a long long time. The Hawks are also popular as well.

That RWS 48 is a pretty powerful rifle and its firing behavior reflects it. They are well built and seem to balance well but I don't see guys shooting them in silo. Several shooters have adapted them for field target and do very well with them however they have detuned them down to shoot at 12fpe. I don't know how handy you are but for silo you might consider doing that too. Just a thought.
Good luck.
Richard
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Weaver V-16 and V-24 are good as well and can be found in the $300 to $350 range.

The AO will focus down to under 50 feet whereas Leupold scopes need an additional adaptor to go much under 50 yards.

The V-16 has 1/4 MOA adjustments, the V-24 has 1/8 MOA which isn't such a big deal for the 2-3 MOA needed for a Sporter Silhouette air rifle.

Downside for the V-16 is it only comes with either a standard duplex reticle or fine crosshair with 1/4 MOA dot. Thankfully Weaver will change out a reticle for $75 which includes the reticle change and return shipping. I had my V-16 changed out to their "Varminter" reticle (fine duplex with dot) and it's a lot better than the standard duplex.
Allen Corneau
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks guys. My first choice was the V-16, but SWFA is out of them at the moment. It is nice to know they will change the reticle too.

I am aware of the 48s limitations, just happens to be what I have. We are a long way from any type of formal competition so it will probably be for backyard shooting only.

Thanks again.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Here is an update that surprised me. I was going to be smart and save a little money, so I stole a Leupold EFR off of my wife's seldom used CMP Sporter rifle to use on my new springer. Guess what? It destroyed the scope in just a few days. I called Pyramyd Air and asked their advice on a scope that can live on the RWS 48, and they recommended a Leapers UTG True Strength scope. Any of you guys used that one?

Hurts my heart a little to know that Leupolds' can't take it. :roll:
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

We never had any trouble with leupolds on Beeman, HW or Air Arms springers. The one we have on the TX is an ancient Vari-X III that has been on multiple springers over the years.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote:We never had any trouble with leupolds on Beeman, HW or Air Arms springers. The one we have on the TX is an ancient Vari-X III that has been on multiple springers over the years.
Are any of yours "Magnum" springers? Mine is .22 cal and shoots approximately 900 fps. I am new to air guns, but I understand that to be significant.

I found out something else today, that oridinary thread locker will not hold up either. My fancy droop compensated RWS mount came loose today!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

[quote="SqHunter"][quote="atomicbrh"]We never had any trouble with leupolds on Beeman, HW or Air Arms springers. The one we have on the TX is an ancient Vari-X III that has been on multiple springers over the years.[/quote]

Are any of yours "Magnum" springers? Mine is .22 cal and shoots approximately 900 fps. I am new to air guns, but I understand that to be significant.

I found out something else today, that oridinary thread locker will not hold up either. My fancy droop compensated RWS mount came loose today![/quote]

Not familiar with the term "Magnum" springer? What does that exactly mean? What are the specifications that classify a airgun as a "Magnum"?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I believe it was a term coined when Beeman first starting bringing supped up springers to the US. Maybe that was the '70s? It is supposed to indicate higher velocity and energy than what is typically sold in Europe. I don't know where the cut-off is, however.
6mmintl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 6mmintl »

I have 1 utg 2-12 swat scope

And two Hawke scopes.

He is what Hawke rep told me.
Frank

Thanks for your interest in Hawke Sport Optics. Here is a quick review of how are scopes match up to spring and gas piston rifles.

Vantage - For light spring and gas piston only 12 ft lbs and under.
Airmax 1" and 30mm- Heavy hitting rifles over 12 ft lbs and over.
Panorama- Heavy spring and gas piston.
Endurance 1" and 30mm- Heavy spring and gas piston.
Sidewinders- Heavy spring and gas piston.
Frontier- Heavy spring and gas piston.

If you have any questions feel feel to contact me anytime.

Have a great day..

Jes Reeve
877-429-5347)

How would you rate my reply?
Great Okay Not Good

--
Jes Reeve
Customer Support (90661)
Hawke USA
info@hawkeoptics.com
6mmintl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 6mmintl »

Also buy the utg droop compensated (30mos) picatinny rail.
lev
B Poster
B Poster

Post by lev »

Hi,

Check if the rifle's rail has some movement, I had a diana 56th that had a very slight movement, imagine what that little movement will do to a scope, specially in a magnum springer.

I only noticed the rail's movement in the sunlught because there was some oil between the action and the rail, I sold it to a friend who told me he could repair it.

Scopes rails on most dianas are riveted , they are not machined in the action like HW's, and AA's,

Kind regards