Springer Accuracy Standards

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Springer Accuracy Standards

Post by SqHunter »

What sort of performance do you look for out of your springers? I shot a litle this morning at 30 yd and was getting just less than 1 inch if you included all the fliers. I was trying to set it up for a squirrel hunt this weekend, but would like to know if the rifle would be sufficient to test the waters of sporter class. I was using the RWS 4x scope that came with the package so there might be a little room for improvement if I upgrade scopes. This was with 16 gr Polymags, but I have some 18 grain JSB Heavies that shoot better at 20 yd, I just did not try them this morning because point of impact is significantly different and I did not want to rezero.

Thanks!
TangoBob
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Springer Accuracy Standards

Post by TangoBob »

What caliber are you using? NRA rules say 0.177 or 0.22 only.
TX200, Prosport or HW77 or their ilk are fine for silhouette and 12 ft pounds knocks them down fine in 0.177. That gets you about 820 ft/sec with 7.9 grain pellets. You'd like about 1" groups at 45 yards for rams. Take a look at the target drawings andf you'll see what group sizes you want at the distances.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

It's a 22. We have a couple of air rifle rams and one pig given to us by our old club we practice with. The rams seem easy, but the pig is impossible at 45 yd in the wind.

I am not sure if we get one inch at rams or not, the wind seems to get me every time I get a good group going.
TangoBob
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TangoBob »

Realize chickens at 20 yards, pigs at 30 yards, turkeys at 36 yards and rams at 45 yards. Groups need to sized accordingly. You can find target images on line. I print my own with a 1" grid. I have only recently started to use a 22 caliber in PCP and got groups with Crossman's 14.3 grain pellets at about 765 ft/sec chickens looked like 1/2" mostly vertical, pigs about 3/8", Turkeys about the same although some windage showed up about 3/4", Ra,\ms loooks like 1/2" vertical and 3/4"horizontal.
My spingers are in 177 - HW77 shoots at about 82 ft/sec, my son's TX200 also 177 shoots about 840 ft/sec and both give considerbly better grups than my new PCP, although it's just breaking in.

Rams are about 1.2 " vertical 2 1/2" long, chickens about 1 1/2" long and a bit ober 1/2 " high.

Try this site for printable targets http://www.citlink.net/~schattler/target.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI All ,
With a TX200 at 60 ft ...
ALL 10 shots will form a single ragged hole ... usually a quarter inch or less .
With no wind conditions in my basement ... INDOORS

GSL
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I have a 12 fpe vortex kit installed in my TX. I don't have any problems with the rams going down. That is when I do my part and the pellet actually hits the target.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks Mr Bob, that was very helpful.

Is it my imagination or does something crazy happen to precision after 35 yd? Our air rifle shoots as well as a rimfire at close range, but after 35 yd it just goes to pot. We are right at 900 fps though, and will likely have to go back to the JSB heavies to do any better.

Thanks for the help!