2017 Texas State Air Rifles Championship

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 2017 Texas State Air Rifles Championship

Post by atomicbrh »

We dodged a bullet not signing up for this one. Snowed "in" in Mississippi and the forecast calls for the snow to continue to fall throughout the day. The majority of our drive would have been impossible. The snow band is centered on what our travel route would have been.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

atomicbrh wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:57 am We dodged a bullet not signing up for this one. Snowed "in" in Mississippi and the forecast calls for the snow to continue to fall throughout the day. The majority of our drive would have been impossible. The snow band is centered on what our travel route would have been.
I've seen pictures from Ridgeland; it looks like it's really coming down over there.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Sorry to hear you won’t be able to come to the match.

The range is all set up and ready to go. Winds will be a bit tricky, especially for Target rifle. Dress warmly as it’s going to be on the chilly side.
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

It has been over 20 years since we have had this much snow accumulation in Central and South Mississippi.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Do they even sell snow tires down your way?!?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

What’s a snow tire?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

dhatch wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:36 pm What’s a snow tire?
It's kind of like a snow cone but shaped more like a donut.
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

[quote="Another Dang 9" post_id=93450 time=1512777416 user_id=27737]
Do they even sell snow tires down your way?!?
[/quote]
No, they do not sell snow tires. I would say that there is not a single snow tire to be found in the state of Mississippi. I would also say that the vast majority of Mississippians ride on the cheapest most worn out tire that will hold air as evidenced by how many vehicles you see in the median during the slightest rain. We will leave this welfare state as soon as the wife retires or loses her job.
The other thing is that I think our vehicles in the deep south are not painted and undercoated the same as the vehicles that are sold in the states where the roads are salted every winter due to snow and ice. I am guessing that if a southerner moved to the northern states with one of our vehicles, it would be a unusable rust bucket in one year.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

They may call the mid west states the rust belt but any state that uses salt on the roads is the true rust belt. All my cars with over 100K miles on them rusts. Engines will go 300K if the frame and body will. Ten years is an old car in the NE states. Also undercoating is a huge scam. Doesn't do squat.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

No results? Who won? Did A.C. have an out of body experience and spank Bill and Chris? Was Bill able to pry himself out of his deer stand to compete? Was Cawthorne able to secure a kitchen pass from retirement for the WHOLE weekend? Who made the trek from out of state?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Jack has all the final results but I'll report as best as I can remember...

We shot Target in the morning, Sporter in the afternoon, Open on Sunday.

Jonah Finley won state champ with a 204/240 and Target rifle with a 71/80 after a shoot-off with Bill Motl.
Chris Cawthorne won Sporter with a 68/80, 2nd place for aggregate score (197/240), and a new Senior high record.
Bruce Finley won Open rifle with a 73/80.

Yes, I had an out-of-body experience for Sporter with a 31 and 29, making for my second and third Master scores! (I'm in trouble now.) Shot my TX200 for Open as well and got a 23 and another 31. I ended up with 1st in AAA Target, 1st in AAA Sporter and 3rd in AAA Open after a shoot-off with Larry Chapman for second place.

Jonah, Scott and Bruce made the trip from Louisiana. Wimpy and Gabby drove in from the Golden Triangle. The rest were from the greater Houston area.

Bill served brisket, beans, potato salad, etc. on Saturday and chicken fajitas on Sunday. Robert LaGrone's wife Fran made deserts for both days. Robert ran a smooth match with no hiccups or problems and plenty of good fellowship. Other than freezing our butts off every morning it was a great match.
Last edited by acorneau on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Corneau
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

awesome job. You're really coming along. The Finley's were on fire weekend before last as well. Both flirted with 40's until the last bank of animals. Congrats to the frozen winners!
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

acorneau wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:25 am Jack has all the final results but I'll report as best as I can remember...

We shot Target in the morning, Sporter in the afternoon, Open on Sunday.

Jonah Finley won state champ and Open rifle (?).
Chris Cawthorne won Sporter, 2nd place aggregate score, and a new Senior high record.
I think Bruce won Target rifle.

Yes, I had an out-of-body experience for Sporter with a 31 and 29, making for my second and third Master scores! (I'm in trouble now.) Shot my TX200 for Open as well and got a 22 and another 31. I ended up with 1st in AAA Target, 1st in AAA Sporter and 3rd in AAA Open after a shoot-off with Larry Chapman for second place.

Jonah, Scott and Bruce made the trip from Louisiana. Wimpy and Gabby drove in from the Golden Triangle. The rest were from the greater Houston area.

Bill served brisket, beans, potato salad, etc. on Saturday and chicken fajitas on Sunday. Robert LaGrone's wife Fran made deserts for both days. Robert ran a smooth match with no hiccups or problems and plenty of good fellowship. Other than freezing our butts off every morning it was a great match.
*Quietly takes down note to self*

To Do:
  • Fix Allen's Coop registration.
  • Hang out with Jonah more
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Just put Moneytaker Corneau in Master across the board.
Jonah is way too nice to hang out with you....or me....the boy can plain shoot anything.That Finley gene is strong in that one.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

psteiger wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 pm Just put Moneytaker Corneau in Master across the board.
Jonah is way too nice to hang out with you....or me....the boy can plain shoot anything.That Finley gene is strong in that one.
I just might have to do that. It ought to be fun seeing how him in the side money games. We might just give backstory to that nickname of his!

And that's a fair point. Image I'll just quietly pray to my Jonah Shrine for Finley hair or Finley scores. I'd be happy with either.