SSP or Springer?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

SSP or Springer?

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I think practicing with an air gun will be the answer to my bad flinch, or anticipation, that I've somehow developed in smallbore and high power. I don't think it's the recoil because I shot .308s for years on a state Army Guard high power team; I think I got the flinch because I'm older than the walls of Troy, and my hold is less than stellar, so I try and grab shots as they fly by. I can dri-fire without flinching, but that's because I don't have a finished productand so I don't try and "grab" the shot..... With air rifle I do have a result, and I'm very conscious of wanting to "flinch." I'm gonna overcome it with tons and tons of air rifle practice on printed, scaled targets at ten meters. I have a great old RWS Model 75 that I bought in 1984... probably has 200K pellets down it's barrel. Can't believe it's still sending them down range! And if it breaks, I don't know if I can get it repaired anymore....

Anyway, I'm saving up for another air rifle just in case, and I'm trying to decide on a new TX200 springer, or another match rifle, a used Single Stroke Pneumatic.... What would be better for my flinch battling purpose, do you think?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: SSP or Springer?

Post by Jason »

If you aren't considering a PCP rifle, then go with a SSP over a springer without a doubt. Learning to shoot a springer well can be frustrating, and it's different than smallbore and high power rifles. Springers move a lot when firing, and that's exactly what you don't want when you're trying to work your way out of jerking the trigger. You need to know that any movement is you, not the rifle. You can pick up a used Oympic-quality SSP for about the same price as a new-ish TX200. The triggers on the SSP target air rifles are at least as good as the upper-end smallbore rifles that most people shoot, and in some cases are the same exact trigger.

The accuracy of target air rifles is amazing. I did pellet testing with my Anschutz 8002 PCP rifle and found two pellets that I could shoot 10 pellets indoors off the bench at 10 meters and the hole was effectively the same size as the hole from a single shot. Just to put that into context, I shot 10 shots through the same hole and then I could hold the target horizontal and put a pellet into it, and the paper would still hold the pellet up by the skirt of the pellet. As amazing as that might sound, this is not uncommon with target air rifles. They are that accurate.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Very good information; thank you, sir.....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I got a used Daisy from CMP http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales ... ir-rifles/

Have to do a trigger job on it but lotsnof how tos on the net. Its almost as accurate as my Anschutz PCP and i can only tell when they are on a rest
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The TX 200 is a fine spring gun but has not the greatest balance for offhand. Match guns all have better balance for offhand.
Richard
Longbow
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Longbow »

Picked up a HW97 and then bought a used beater stock. Am cutting it down to match the lines of my 541-T. It will weigh about a pound more but best out there. I can topple Rams at 100 Meters using 8.3 gr JSB off the bench. I can hit them offhand but any wind blowing at say 4 MPH you have over a foot of pellet drift! Still for Chickens and Pigs it works very well. I have no problem hitting them with my FWB 300S with the 3 oz trigger , at almost 13# can hold very well. That has been my main offhand gun to shoot out to 50 yds for years.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

After Jason's observations, I'm thinking about one of these if the RWS Model 75 croaks and I can't find anyone to fix it.... The rifle would be mainly for cheap, at-home practice because I don't believe there is any air rifle silhouette matches being shot close enough for me to reach (Pacific NW)..... Anybody have any experience with this rifle?

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Arms_S200_FT/348
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The RWS 75 is an okay gun but you nailed it. They are a pain to get fixed, somewhat complicated. Another gun that was nice to shoot but complicated was the Daisy (Gamo) 126. I'd stay away from both of those old dogs. Lots of guys are still shooting the FWB 300 in all of its variations.
They are still fairly popular with silhouette shooters. Not powerful but nice to shoot and accurate.
As far as matches go we didn't have any here until we started running them in 1989. We didn't have a clue what we were doing but we figured it out.
Richard
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

What are some other good SSP options?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Tony wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:44 pm What are some other good SSP options?
Anschutz 2001 and 2002
Feinwerkbau 601, 602, 603
Avanti/Daisy 753, 853
Walther LGR

That's all I could come up with but there may be more out there.
Allen Corneau
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

Where is a good place to look for a used one as mentioned above?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

For 10m Target guns (SSP's) keep an eye out at the TargetTalk forum.

For any/all air rifles check the American Airgun and Yellow Forum classifieds.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewforum.php ... c2df71c716
http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574

I ended up finding my Anschutz 2002 on GunBroker but I wouldn't use it as my primary source for air rifles.
Allen Corneau
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

There's a FWB 601 for sale right now...

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57279
Allen Corneau
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

FWB 600 series is arguably the best SSP. I shot them when I coached and they were super nice. I also owned a Dianna M100 match, and an Anschutz 2001. Both were nice, but the FWB is a better rifle in my opinion.
I also have a AA TX200 and it is a great springer, but a SSP is more forgiving on hold. TX200 is a super quality rifle though, and really not a mistake to own.
I am luck to have a Bauer compressor, so I shoot compressed air now. Certainly the best option, but pretty expensive investment. My Walther LG 400 is the rifle I shoot the most, so I get my money's worth out of it. Actually cheaper than a 22 with match ammo after a few cases and fuzzy math.