Where to look for rifles?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Where to look for rifles?

Post by ur2ez22 »

Hey everyone, I’ve been pouring through posts on here and have learned a lot, but am hoping to get some recent recommendations for places to look for rifles. I shoot smallbore currently and like many people want to practice with an air rifle in my backyard. I don’t want to spend tons, but I also want something that will work well should I decide to start competing in this game too.

Seems like springers can change how you shoot compared to smallbore, and some of the SSPs don’t have the power for rams...so leaning towards a PCP but open to suggestions. I do have Airguns of Arizona locally to me and in talking with them, they recommended the Brocock Bantam at $899...haven’t seen any reference to those on here, so not sure how that could compare to the used marketplaces. What rifles would you recommend and what are some good sites to look for a good condition used rifle so I can get a little more bang for my buck if I start competing with this thing?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Where to look for rifles?

Post by acorneau »

Quite a bit to unpack here...

PCP is the most expensive to get into between the cost of the rifle, SCUBA tank, refills, etc. A spinger or SSP target rifle will be cheaper to buy and the only thing you need to feed it is pellets.

I started with a springer (used TX200) and then later got an SSP Target rifle (Anschutz 2002 SuperAir). I use my TX200 for Open rifle since I shoot it the best, but I would like to get a dedicated Open gun sometime in the future. Many folks like the Feinwerkbau (FWB) 300 for target rifle as it's a solid performer and easy to work on (or so I've been told).

That being said, for Open rifle options keep an eye on the American Airguns classifieds: http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php
For Target rifles check out the Target Talk forum classifieds: http://www.targettalk.org/viewforum.php ... 530eddba17
There used to be a site called the Yellow forum but it's been shut down recently.

Other than those, you can check eBay or some of the firearm auction sites like gunbroker.com or armslist.com.

Good luck with your search.
Allen Corneau
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

If you are getting an air rifle just for practice I suggest an Anschutz SSP (2002). 10 meter air rifles are the best practice rifles because they force you to learn follow through and trigger control. A SSP keeps you from having to buy an air tank.

If you don't mind buying a tank and want a PCP for practice, I recommend buying something like this one: http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... =3&t=12493

Buying used from a competitor is a good idea. You can get a good deal on a rifle that has been well taken care of.

If you are buying an air rifle to get into air rifle silhouette competition, not just practice, things may be a little different. Both of the rifles mentioned are excellent for competition in Target air rifle silhouette but you may want to buy a rifle for Open or Sporter first.

Most folks will tell you to buy a Target or Sporter air rifle first because you can use it also in the Open match but I advise most people to get an open gun first if they are willing to invest in a PCP. Open rifles are the most fun to shoot. You really need a good spotter to shoot a target rifle in competition and I would avoid a springer unless you just have to have one (i.e. you plan to shoot championship matches in Louisiana or Texas).

The most important thing in a silhouette rifle is the trigger. You will definitely get a good trigger on any Olympic or Field target style air rifle made by Anschutz, Walther, FWB, Steyr, Daystate, etc. I would stick with those and try to buy one used from a competitor here or on target talk.

Better yet, go to a few matches and try a few rifles and see what you like.

Dustin
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

All the previous posts are good. Airguns are great for practice but they are not just for that. Airgun competitions are legitimate shooting disciplines all by themselves. Check on airguns.net in the for sale listings and check the link to dealers, manufacturers, etc. Pilkington target talk is another place where guns are listed for sale. Two others that I know of are airgunnation.com and Gateway to airguns forum. Buyer be careful on the web.

I am not sure where you are but what to buy is a continuing question. Buy the best you can afford. There is plenty of cheap junk out there. Try to get to a silhouette match or a field target match if there is one near you and see what is being used instead of making the same costly mistakes the rest of us all made.
Check here and the NRA website for silo match locations and AAFTA.org for field target club locations.

Airguns are lots of fun. Good Luck.
Rick B.
Richard
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ur2ez22 »

I appreciate the replies and recommendations everyone! I do want to spend a little more now so I could compete with it if interested, so this was really helpful.
bjkramer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bjkramer »

Champion's Choice sells the Anschutz 9015 Junior air rifle. It has one of the best 100 gram triggers ever put on a gun and makes a good companion piece for the 54.MSR. Topped with the Nikon Prostaff EFR scope it works well for indoor shooting.
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hawkeye7br »

There is a FWB Field target gun (pcp) with extras already set up in the Indiana Gun Owners forum. Sorry, I can't cut & paste from my phone, but the site is easy to navigate & you don't have to register to read it. Rifle is not mine.