.177 or .22 for Air Silhouette

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.

.177 or .22 what are you shooting for Air Silhouette and why?

75%
25%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 20

Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

.177 or .22 for Air Silhouette

Post by Bob259 »

I have two .177's a Air ArmsTX200 and AZ Styer I currently shoot and like. But I have been toying with the idea of looking at a .22 to add to the collection. The question always comes up which is better and why.

Opinions?
bkbishop
B Poster
B Poster

my 2 cents worth

Post by bkbishop »

I like the 177 for silhouette for few reasons...First, there is a wider variety of pellets available to handle different wind conditions and rifle designs.
Second, we are not concerned with humane kills on metal animals, so 22 is overkill (pun intended) and may cause target damage.

And while we are on the subject...does anyone else think the larger pellet diameter of a 22 gives an unfair advantage since the target size and distance are the same ??

I agree that allowing more calibers for competition could bring more shooters into the sport, but where do you draw the line ? What about 25s ? 30s ?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Use .177 but going to give the .22 a try.

Post by Dee »

I use .177 but I have a Harrier in .22 with a really nice trigger on it that I want to try out. Our clubs resetables are stout but I agree rinky dink targets would get destroyed fast. The fact that it gives a larger diameter pellet to hit the animal has also crossed my mind but thats really so marginal compared to my abilities :lol:

The .22 does buck the wind better and a good PCP spitting them out at 900 fps would seem on paper to be the better choice for that concern. The drift of my .177 target rifle shooting 600 fps @ 45 yards in a 10 mph wind is substantial but my AA S400 @ 900 fps does well.

If anyone shows up with a .308 Quackenbush we might need a rule check :shock:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
buckmark
B Poster
B Poster

Post by buckmark »

Airpistol shooting is difficult enough, silhouet shooting is even harder; the .177 has the flatter trajectory thus giving an important advantage over the .22.