new springer.....

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

new springer.....

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I have a venerable RWS Model 75 recoiless springer that I bought in 1984 for (I think) $347 or so.....shot it for a lifetime..... Hundreds of thousands of pellets down range on my indoor kitchen/utility room/garage range.... I live in fear the gun will croak..... I'm thinking AA TX200 or HW77 for a replacement..... Does anyone have any thoughts on a gun under a grand that will perform similar to my old RWS? It's mainly for silhouette practice, and I don't like messing with tanks or compressors, and would like to stay with a springer.....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: new springer.....

Post by richard »

Both of those rifles are good choices. They are both well made and accurate. I have used both for air rifle silhouette. My last remaining spring rifle is an air arms Pro sport which I think has just a bit better balance but it is more expensive and the cocking cycle takes some getting use to. If you want something less expensive the RWS/Diana 430L is a fairly nice underlever gun that has moderate power but reviews report that it is fairly hard to cock.
Good luck,
Rick B.
Richard
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

OnagainOffagain,
I'm new to Air Rifles myself, but have been trying to learn about them (all).
I would think a FWB 300S or S/U would be quite similar. Even of the same era.
Saw a YouTube vid where "Cyclops" did a comparison between the 2 rifles - they both did great.
I've heard repair parts are available for both (yours and the FWB) - only found out AFTER I purchase my Anschutz SuperAir 2002 SSP rifle - and it needed the main valve replaced. Those suckers are hard to come by!!!

Anyway those FWB 300 air rifles come up with some regularity.
Another item to add to your list.
I shot someone's TX200 and it was great! I wouldn't be afraid to go with one of those either.

Good Luck and let us know what you purchase (and why)
ShootingStar
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

On/Off,
Hey I just read the 7-part review of the Pro Sport on PyramydAir. It sounds pretty slick!
Here's the link to Part 7, but it has links to parts 1-6.
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2020/01 ... t-part-7/
Enjoy,
ShootingStar
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

If you want similar shooting characteristics from another rifle I'd look into the FWB300 variants. A TX200 is a full power spring gun that will have noticeable amount of extra jump and cocking effort. They can be highly accurate and I love my Paul Watts tuned TX. Having shot all these rifles the TX is least like the RWS. I'd enjoy owning a FWB300 and I might buy one from a friend he never shoots someday. With the TX you can however easily whack small game if you like to hunt.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Dee...... how would the TX200 be as a silhouette rifle trainer?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The advantage of the TX 200 over all other air rifles is that it is the simplest, easiest and most straightforward air rifle to disassemble, repair and tune. No special tools or spring compressor is needed. The only downside is that like all Springers, it cannot be zeroed off the bench because of the very nature of Springer mechanisms. In other words how you hold it affects harmonics which affects point of impact. It must be zeroed standing. All Springers are like that though. Simply replacing the spring with a vortec reduced power spring will negate much of that hold sensitivity and a full tune would probably negate a bit more hold sensitivity. You can work on the TX200 at home with tools you already have. You cannot say that about the 77, 97 or the R's. The fit, finish and quality of the TX is fantastic for the price. Real wood and steel. We still have a 77 but to get it right cost over $300 for the tune.
We have many air rifles. The TX 200 feels more like my Pharr RTS smallbore rifle than any of the other air rifles we have. I wish that TX200 stock was legal for smallbore. It seems to just naturally fit everybody that picks it up.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

@ atomicbrh I'm an air rifle neophyte in the market for one and found that post of yours very helpful.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I have owned a TX200 for about 5 years and what it has over other springers is the position of the under cocking lever. It's much easier to cock with the lever being forward which seems to give a lot more leverage and less effort to cock.
What I don't like about the great majority of the springers is getting the pellet into the breach.
I also own a PCP Benjamin Marauder which is another well thought out rifle.
ppkny
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Thank you, all ..... I think the TX200 is what I'll work at....
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I tried for probably 6 or 7 or more years to shoot a springer at local matches. I could never get the pellet in the chamber quick enough to get 5 shots off in the 2 and 1/2 minutes. I was mainly borrowing TX200's. Then I tried a friend's 77 with a Leupold EFR and I could get the 5 shots off in plenty of time because of the wider loading port. So I bought a 77. Then I shot a match with Findley over in LA and happened to notice he was not watching the pellet go in his TX but just feeling it in. I could have used a TX many years earlier if I had noticed that loading technique. I could never manipulate the TX where I could visualize the pellet going into the chamber and load it also. Once I got a TX going, I made Master pretty quick.
Also our TX does not seem too finicky with pellets. The 77 and 97 seem to be more finicky about which pellets group good. That said our 77 is shooting good now with a relatively cheap pellet.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Atomic is pretty much right on IMO. A TX can make a great training rifle once you learn to hold it consistently and very easy to work on yourself. You can also get 12 ft lb springs for them to shoot softer and not be so jumpy in the hands when fired. I can't believe you never noticed the no look load technique Atomic! I could probably get 15 shots off in that time no looking. Poor Tureau and his stub finger had a hell of a time learning to load the TX and almost gave it up till he caught on. My technique comes from hunting with Beeman and RWS rifles when I was a kid. You had to cock and load blind to keep your eyes on the animal lol. I also like the meaty stock of the TX. If I were looking for a 1st air rifle to use for practice it'd be between a TX and a FWB300 or 60x SSP. They will all out shoot you :-B
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!