Whats The CZ452 of air rifles

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Blairsville
B Poster
B Poster

Whats The CZ452 of air rifles

Post by Blairsville »

I understand that I can spend as much as I want on an air riffle but truth be told we do not have an air riffle Silhouette match on Vancouver Island.
That being said We also dont have lever rimfire or lever high power matches but i seam to have a setup for each. So being the silhoutte fan that I am I figure I Should really get an Air rifle setup as well.

So I dont really want to spend a mint on one since it will just be for fun. When people are just starting in Silhouette rimfire I always Say get a savage and if you have a bit more money get a CZ or a tikka T1x.

wondering what that sweet midrange riffle is in air rifle that could shoot with the big boys and take someone into AAA if they where good enough.

Like it to be fairly low maintenance and a springer as the Safe is getting full

Any help would be appreciated im in canada
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Whats The CZ452 of air rifles

Post by acorneau »

Blairsville wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 am... So I don't really want to spend a mint on one since it will just be for fun...

wondering what that sweet midrange riffle is in air rifle that could shoot with the big boys and take someone into AAA if they where good enough...

I'd say the TX200. It's the first air rifle I bought (used) and the very first rifle I ever made Master class with. Most of the silhouette shooters that I know use it as their Sporter rifle.

They go for $600 brand new (beech stock) but you can find them used for $400-500 without much trouble. Just make sure you get really good rings and a springer-rated scope or you'll start having scope issues. I use the BKL double-strap rings and a Weaver V-24 and have had no problems so far.

You can also look at the Weihrauch HW97 as it's in the same league as the TX200. I'd stay away from the break-barrel rifles, especially if you're using a scope.
Allen Corneau
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Blairsville wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 am I understand that I can spend as much as I want on an air riffle but truth be told we do not have an air rifle Silhouette match on Vancouver Island.
Start one! Air rifle silhouette is a SUPER EASY match to start and run. You just need a set of targets, some small rails to put them on, and 45 yards of shooting space. You don't need berms and buffer zone for noise like other types of shooting. We had a Wednesday night air rifle silhouette match for years in the fenced back yard in a nice neighborhood - never even had a neighbor peek over the fence.
Blairsville wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 amSo being the silhoutte fan that I am I figure I Should really get an Air rifle setup as well.
You definitely should! Air rifles are by far the coolest of all silhouette rifles and air rifle silhouette doesn't have all the dumb equipment rules that other silhouette disciplines have. You can get an air rifle with an adjustable stock, make it comfortable for you, and shoot it. No need to buy a new carbon fiber stock, tapered barrel, and heavier trigger springs and get a gunsmith to build a legal rifle that fits you.
Blairsville wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 amSo I dont really want to spend a mint on one since it will just be for fun.

Even if it's not "just for fun," there is no need to spend a ton on an air rifle. There are so many good ones out there that you can find something new within your budget - or you can find something REALLY good used within your budget.
Blairsville wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 amwondering what that sweet midrange riffle is in air rifle that could shoot with the big boys and take someone into AAA if they where good enough.

As Allen suggested, a TX 200 is a great choice for a springer. There are others, but that is pretty much the standard.

I never suggest that anyone get a springer because PCPs are SOOOO much better and SOOOO much more fun to shoot. For about $500 new, I'd get a Benjamin Marauder and find an old scuba tank to carry air around. OR, find a field target club close by and talk to them about any field target rifles that their members have for sale. You can often get a great deal on a very nice rifle.

Also, I suggest you stay away from getting a Target (10-meter) air rifle unless there is very little wind on Vancouver Island, you have a place to shoot indoors, or you have a spotter.

Also, keep asking questions - Air rifles can be pretty confusing.

Dustin
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I'd say Dustin is right on in his analysis. Although I would consider a nice used 10m rifle PCP or SSP if you want a self contained air supply. They will run you a few dollars more but comparing an Olympic 10m rifle even older ones and their superior triggers to a New Benjamin M-Rod its night and day from the trigger to the stock to the barrel. By the time you buy even a cheap PCP and get the tank etc you could probably find a FWB 60x series SSP for the same or less money.

Airgun is so fun to shoot and the cost alone makes it the hands down winner if you want range time and rounds shot for practice. I shoot mine in the house 50 shots or so a night costs a buck. I did the math on ammo costs once compared to SB .22 ammo and even with my custom .22 rifle I spend more on ammo after 4 cases ~$2000 for 20,000 shots. Whereas my air rifle I will have to shoot 150,000 pellets before the ammo cost exceeds the cost of the air rifle and the air rifle was cheaper!
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Dee wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am I'd say Dustin is right on in his analysis. Although I would consider a nice used 10m rifle PCP or SSP if you want a self contained air supply. They will run you a few dollars more but comparing an Olympic 10m rifle even older ones and their superior triggers to a New Benjamin M-Rod its night and day from the trigger to the stock to the barrel. By the time you buy even a cheap PCP and get the tank etc you could probably find a FWB 60x series SSP for the same or less money.

Airgun is so fun to shoot and the cost alone makes it the hands down winner if you want range time and rounds shot for practice. I shoot mine in the house 50 shots or so a night costs a buck. I did the math on ammo costs once compared to SB .22 ammo and even with my custom .22 rifle I spend more on ammo after 4 cases ~$2000 for 20,000 shots. Whereas my air rifle I will have to shoot 150,000 pellets before the ammo cost exceeds the cost of the air rifle and the air rifle was cheaper!
Dee got me into air rifle silhouette so I'd suggest you listen to him. He definitely knows what he's talking about. I'm still pissed at him for moving away...

Dustin
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Dee wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am I'd say Dustin is right on in his analysis. Although I would consider a nice used 10m rifle PCP or SSP if you want a self contained air supply. They will run you a few dollars more but comparing an Olympic 10m rifle even older ones and their superior triggers to a New Benjamin M-Rod its night and day from the trigger to the stock to the barrel. By the time you buy even a cheap PCP and get the tank etc you could probably find a FWB 60x series SSP for the same or less money.

Hi, Dee,
I have a nice FWB compressed air rifle to shoot bullseye in the garage or back yard. I am interested in getting involved in air rifle silhouette, so I would like to ask if you have any recommendations on .177 cal. rifles which would work for both silhouette and small game hunting. I have 3 rifles I can part with to defray the cost of a good rifle.

Thank you very much in advance,

Joaquin
Joaquin B
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

All good comments. If you want a spring gun then TX 200, AA ProSport, HW95, R-9, HW-77 or 97 are great and some RWS/Diana guns would be okay as well. Don't rule out older 10 meter guns. They are outstanding to shoot but challenging on rams. Lots of advantages to air rifle silo. wish there were more matches. Air pistol silo is great too, inexpensive and little space needed.
Don't forget you need a decent scope too.
Rick
PS; If you are AAA in any other silo discipline you should make Master in Air sporter class in a reasonable time.
Richard
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

For a hunting air rifle is you want self contained the TX200 or ProSport are fine choices. When I was a kid my dad got a RWS Mod 45 break barrel with a Beeman Blue Ribbon Scope and I killed more small game with that thing than I can count, I even used it to shoot bull frogs between the eyes :)) . Loved it! My friends would be pumping their asses off on multi stroke Benjamin's and Sheridan's while I could cock and reload and shoot 3-4 pellets for every one they got off :lol: I'd go with the under lever cocking style these days like the TX for both hunting and shooting both Sporter and Open Class Air silhouette classes. I am assuming your FWB is a 10m PCP rifle only good for Target class? The TX is very easy to work on yourself as well if or when you blow a piston seal or need to put in a new spring. You'll be able to whack squirrels and rabbits, birds, frogs etc out to 50+ yards with a TX no problem. Just be aware you'll need an air rifle certified scope as the recoil will destroy a non airgun spec scope fast. I use Bushnell Elite 8-32x 4200s on all my air rifles and SB rifles. If you have PCP fill equipment that opens up a world of other higher power air rifle options but would like it to Open Class for silo.

Dee
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Thank you very much Richard, and especially Dee for the suggestions.

I have a FWB P1800 Evolution Top. When not using the iron sights, it's topped with a Bushnell 4200 4-16X, rotated counter-clockwise. Otherwise, the charging lever will not clear the scope's windage turret. Velocity was chronographed at 500 fps and I use it to kill pests in the back yard. I will smear some bacon on the block wall and within 1/2 hour, roaches and crickets come out to investigate. They get their lead equivalent of Raid with it and needless to say, my girlfriend is both impressed and grossed-out. As I was looking for a .22 air rifle, I came across a video praising the British-made Daystate Hunter Regal .22. That also got my attention. I will check-out the rifles y'all recommended. Yes, I have a scuba tank that feeds the Feinwerkbau and the Morini air pistol. Again, thank you very much!

Joaquin
Joaquin B
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Hard to go wrong with a Daystate. I had an earlier model Harrier in .22 that thumped. Only thing I would avoid is the electronic trigger. For one thing if you forget to charge it you ain't shooting. In another instance we had a shooter with one and it suddenly started to make popping noises and smoking! Turned out to be battery wires shorting out, not sure if that fried the circuit board. I prefer mechanical triggers and for the finer makers they leave nothing to be desired.

Just keep in mind the power of the .22 PCP might exceed the limits of targets and damage them. Perhaps the Daystate has a power level adjustment. I got rid of the Daystate because I could shoot 2x the pellets for the same money. Let us know what you are thinking about buying or end up getting. I have all the air rifles I need so I haven't keep close eyes on the latest offerings.

Dee
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Thank you very much, Dee. I'll keep you posted.
Joaquin B
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Dee, which would you recommend for general small game hunting and silhouette, a 22 or 177 caliber? Looking at the tx200 for easy maintenance

Thanks!
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Keep getting errors when I try to post. Go .177 and you'll be happy keeping it to small game only. Even a .22 springer isn't that much harder a hitter. I no longer own .22 air rifles.