Made the move indoors....

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Made the move indoors....

Post by shakes »

After some thought and hearing from other shooters say that airgun is one of the best things you can do for technique, I decieded I was going to buy myself a PCP for the no recoil aspect of them when father told me I could pick from some of his airguns to train with, right on no money spent. I picked out a older Feinwerkbrau Olympic 10 meter piston gun. The trigger on this thing is amazing. I know its a piston gun, but the coolest thing is the whole action moves the oposite way when you pull the trigger, hence a recoiless piston gun. You can't even feel any recoil at all. Now I can't wait till my Silent Trap gets here.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

There will be no catching you now... Master Shakes
Last edited by mordecai on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

I like the sound of that. I'll have to hire you to load my mags and fetch my rifle before the relay :lol: You have to change your name to Jeeves or some stuffy old british name. :lol:
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

"Oh! Cruel Match Director! It does not care if we be low scoring. It does not care if we should lose! Not like Master. Master cares. Master knows. Yes, Master, I fetch your rifle and ammo..."
Last edited by mordecai on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Precision airguns are a blast. My 10m Steyr SSP just goes piff when you break the shot. Weighing over 11 pounds its a beast but man what a trigger! We are working on getting NRA Airgun Silhouette matches setup at our local airgun range soon. I was planning to use my Daystate Harrier in .22 at Winnie but I heard they might frown on it since its shooting around 25 ft lbs, guess I will have to use my AA S400 .177 for the open airgun match. All I need for the airgun stable now is a AA TX200 or Prosport and I will have all 3 classes covered. Till then I will have to use a loaner spring rifle to compete.

Airguns while not only being cheap to shoot and almost shootable anyplace are also some of the best practice you can get. They demand you practice follow through and maintain the sight picture for that split second longer than a RF or HP rifle. Now if I could just put that Steyr trigger on all my rifles that would be sweet :)

Shakes are you using the small scaled down sil paper targets or just shooting bullseye targets? I have a blast shooting the little scaled down targets, very challenging to say the least.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Dee, we will make the 3 hour drive to Baton Rouge as much as possible to shoot your matchs if you hold Air Rifle Silhouette. It would be nice to coordinate these Air Rifle matchs with Jerry Tureau's 4th Saturday of the month approved Smallbore Matchs at East Ascencion Parish Sherriff's Department in Gonzales, LA. That range would be ideal for Air Rifle Silhouette if you use resettables. All Jerry would have to do is make an extra check mark on his NRA form to add Air Silhouette. I envision shooting Smallbore in the morning, a quick lunch on the firing line and then Air Rifle. You could not beat a Saturday in Southeast, LA. like that. Especially if Jerry decided to cook. Could you e-mail me with more details of what you are planning?

Bobby R. Huddleston
atomicbrh@hotmail.com
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Atomicbrh- I am shooting in Gonzales myself, started going last year to give this nonsense a try :lol: Joe D. is organizing the airgun matches and we were talking about the 2nd weekend in the month since Joe thinks we might get some of the other SB shooters to come out.

The issue is we shoot at the local Airgun Club and the resetable targets belong to the club ( Got them from Dawg last year perhaps you have seen them). We were hoping to draw in more airgunners as well since we shoot Field Target and now possible airgun Benchrest as well. I am all for shooting the whole deal on the 4th of the month with Jerry as I am running out of weekends to do anything else on Sat. If I were to attend both FT matches the new Sil match and Jerry Match I would be gone 4 Sat in a row all season. So to me if I could shoot all my airguns and SB on the same day that would be nice. Make a full day ONCE a month of it. As it is I am already thinking I will just cut back on FT matches till after silhouette season ends then go back to FT. We will likely shoot AG Sils all year as well.

You going to Gonzales this weekend? Perhaps we can kick the idea around some more then. Nothing says we couldn't do a match at each place once a month right? :shock:

Dee
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Shakes, I apologize for hijacking your thread but I had help. Dee, we did not make any Gonzales matches since I started the Smallbore and Air Rifle Silhouette matchs in 2007 the second Saturday of the month in Jackson, MS. My son and I started shooting Tureau's Gonzales matches when he was 9 years old. We have a lot of fond memories from Gonzales. The Gonzales match is held in a very interesting area; very different from anywhere else in the world. Tureau runs matchs in such a relaxed manner that it is easy to shoot really good scores for some reason. The firing line is very nice at the Sheriff's training academy. We usually camp out on Friday night at the KOA campground in Denham Springs and drive the back way through French Settlement/Port Vincent area to get to the range. If you are a Silhouette shooter, do not consider your career complete unless you have attended one of the Gonzales monthly matches. A few times each year Jerry cooks French meals from scratch on the firing line in huge cast iron pots with burners that can only be bought in Louisiana and stirs the pot with something that looks like a boat paddle. The best food I have ever eaten was on the firing line at Gonzales. I cannot make the Gonzales match this weekend because our Annual Range membership drive is coming up and I have to inventory and clean up some equipment in preparation for that. We hope to make the match in March.

Bobby R. Huddleston
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

No problem Mr. Huddleston, it seems to happen alot around here. I'm not complaining in any way, it's kinda cool when that happens because you get to know what's going on around the country and with your example here you get to know how other clubs try to organize all of the different types of shooting sports in one month so that everybody is happen and that doesnt happen alot of the time.

Dee, to answer your question I have started shooting at a standard 10 meter bullseye, but am looking for scaled down animals on the web. I also just use a sharpie and put some small dots on some paper and shoot away. Question to you guys, is there any kind of paper that's better to shoot at, that makes a clean hole rather than rip half of the paper with it?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The target paper that most targets are made from works very well. When I practice with my air rifle offhand, I use the 25-bull rimfire benchrest target they use for the matches over on RimfireCentral. I haven't shot in one of those matches for a few years, but I bought a big box of the targets from Tom Guerin before he died (and my interest in benchrest went with him). You can still get them from whoever is doing the target distribution for the matches over there, and I think they worked out to only about a quarter each for a BIG 25-bull target. I'll try to remember to bring you a few next time I come down to a Tacoma match, or you can grab some if you come up here to one of the Machias matches, as I live about two miles from the range.

As for what normal paper works best for printing targets on, I usually use commonly available card stock, print the targets and then cook the targets for about 10 minutes at whatever the lowest bake setting the oven will go is. This make the paper a little more brittle, and flat nose pellets make perfect circles in it. Oh.. do this when your wife/gf/significant other isn't around to lessen arguments. :)
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Shakes, card stock works better but regular 8 1/2 X 11 printing paper works well if you put cardboard behind it.

When I first started training with an air rifle I used to shoot at a blank piece of paper and then shoot at the holes I made in the paper trying to go through the same hole, that accomplished two things for me, I had to shoot a lot to put all the holes needed in the paper first and trying to put them in certain order or spacing was not easy but it was harder trying to go through the holes which was my ultimate goal.

Then I started putting dots in the paper with a permanent marker that had a bullet point, that enabled me to shoot at a target that already had something to aim at and would not be wasting as many pellets.

Now that a friend of mine that runs a print shop has provided targets for me out of card stock and also made PDF files of my favorite targets all I do is print them and shoot them.

If you do not care to save them for future reference then just tape the new target on top of the old ones and that helps keeping the tearing of the paper to a minimum.

If you or anybody else would like to have the PDF files I have for targets at 10 meters send me an Email at
tony.tello at gmail.com
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Yep a good cardboard backer helps cut down on the holes ripping. All if you use regular copy paper even if it rips a bit you can usually see the mark from the lead pellet passing through to score by. Some 3M sticky spray works great to get a good seal back to back if your not worried about framing a good target :lol:

They have some online target sales that offer blank target grade paper so you can print your own as well. I use pointed or domed pellets so I do not worry about a cleanly punched hole, if I see the lead I know thats where the hole woulda been.

I will post more about our Airgun matches when the details are set. Would be great to get some more people into it locally. We have about 20 or so regular club members but only 3 of us shoot silhouette. :roll:

Dee