Question regarding foot pound energy limits for AG sils?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Question regarding foot pound energy limits for AG sils?

Post by Dee »

I was wondering if there are any f.p.e. limits for the open class PCP airgun matches? In the rules I see that any pellet from .177 to .22 is legal but I see nothing regarding a energy limit.

One of my fellow club members said they might frown on me using my Daystate Harrier in .22 @ the Winnsboro match since its putting out about 25 ft. lbs. of energy.

Can anyone tell me for sure if there is a power limit and if so what is it? Really would like to use my Daystate if I can since I like the stock and trigger more on it then my AA S400 in .177. If the .22 is to powerful I will use the .177 as I don't care to get into turning down the Harriers power for a single match. We have Scioneaux resetables at the club and they can handle the .22 no problem but I want to practice with the rifle I plan to use in Winnie.

Thanks,

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

You will not be the only one using a daystate. I shoot a 410E in .22 and put out about 32 FPE according to the chart. David got good targets and they are not dimpleded in the least by the .22's.

As far as the rules goes - They cover 'target damage'. If the targets are getting damaged OR the Match director feels that your equipment might damage their targets, then you are out.

Personal opinion - Air rifles are not toys. I use mine for hunting from time to time and this sport should be catered toward to equipment of the day! We have no problems with our resettables (same ones you have) and they are shot at with (4) .22 400's and 410's at each match. I have no problem taking down the same tagets with my 600 fps target rifle, so we don't have any issuies. I think they are making the Stimson (sp?) resettables w/ a little thicker material now and there haven't been any problems that I have heard of.

PS> Have you shot the small bore 1/5 scale Rams at 100 meters w/ yours? That is a blast!
Image Chicken George
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Sounds good then my measly little 25 ft lbs should be fine if I go with the .22 it sure seems more suited to the game in not only size advantage but wind bucking ability versus a .177. Since it is all known distances the .22 seems optimal.

I have used mine to shoot the Chicks and Pigs at Distance but with a Light .22 JSB at the pig range it will only rock the Ram back just far enough to make it fall forward off the rail. Really weird to see the impact and watch a target fall towards you. Would have to try and crank up the energy to 30 ft lbs to get it to fall, especially @100.

Its funny how different it is to hit those resets with a 6 ft lb pellet versus 25. Like flicking one with your finger and the other with a hammer :lol:

Thanks for the info.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Dee, When you shoot at Winnsboro remember that even a .177 Walther Open Hunter will make their Stimson targets pop back up into place. You just have to be careful with your scoring to make sure you record all of your hits. We have had several Turkeys and CHickens jump back up into place. We also use Scioneaux's at our range. I really like the toughness, target lean forward adjustments and easy portability of the Scioneaux targets. I can just about carry all of my targets in the space that one bank of Stimson's would require.

Bobby R. Huddleston