Walther LG300 XT Universal

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Walther LG300 XT Universal

Post by jjp »

So what do you guys think about the Walther LG300 XT Universal? Looks like it is identical to the more expensive walthers without all the stock adjustments. Seems like it would be perfect for silhouette.

JasonPeterson
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Walther LG300 XT Universal

Post by Dee »

The stock shape looks a lot like the LG300 Hunter model. Looks like it might be Walthers 10m club style rifle. The Hunter holds nicely for me offhand. It is going to be hard to go wrong with todays high end airguns. Anything from Walther, Anschutz, FWB or Steyr is going to be high quality. Nothing I am aware of right now that should be avoided. Where did you locate one of these I never noticed that model, Champions perhaps?

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

They have one at Champions Choice. They recommended it to me on the phone this morning. The stock is just not as adjustable as the other ones. I might be bringing her home with me in the morning.
JasonPeterson
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Is it inthe 500FPS target class range? If so and you are going to the PCP tank type rifle I'd highly recommend going for the AA400 (AirArms)
http://www.straightshooters.com/Air%20A ... utnew.html

Adjustable power settings and a well built air rifle with good balance.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

The Walther is a target class gun. The Air Arms is open class.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Finprof wrote:The Walther is a target class gun. The Air Arms is open class.
Understand, as I have all 3 classes... but if I was to choose just one as an all around air rifle I'd choose the AA400 over the Target class, unless you are planning on doing some 10M as well.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

I'm wanting a target air rifle. I shot one of Limey's Walthers in Winnsboro and fell I love with it. I'm going to end up with a sporter, target, and an open rifle. This is probably just the beginning an addiction. :D

On my way to fondle a few. I will let yall know what I come home with.
JasonPeterson
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I have the S400 as well and I agree it is very close to the feel and balance of a smallbore rifle stock. For someone just getting into airguns that likes to shoot a lot I would have to suggest a 10m rifle as you can use it for both Open and Target class plus you just get so many more shots per fill. With the S400 you can only shoot open class. The past few airgun matches I have not even taken my S400 to the range and use the 8002 in both classes. I think I enjoy playing the wind drift with the slower 10m rifles more than I like the zip of the high power rifles, unless of course it is really windy :lol:

If you plan to get one of each eventually it probably doesn't matter. While I realize my 8002 is new to me still compared to the S400 I have had for 4 years, if I had to part with one it would be the S400 that went 1st.

Dee
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

Here's a quick picture of my new toy. I put high Burris signature rings and a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR on it.

JasonPeterson
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Sweet!! \:D/

Is that a wood stock or composite? It is kind of hard to tell from the pic. What brand of pellets do you plan to try out? We use mostly JSB Lites in 8.4g for silhouette. The wad cutter style are ok out to about 20 yards anything further and the accuracy goes to hell quickly. I use the wad cutters inside @10m to cut nice clean holes in paper targets. Do you have some scaled paper silhouette targets yet? I use one scaled for 10m almost nightly and run off copies at work. Let me know if you need some I will email you what I have tomorrow.

Enjoy it and be prepared to get hooked on airgunning in general even more than you were before. You see once you get the fill tank you can then use it to justify buying more airguns =))

One more thing you should know about is the regulator in these rifles should be stored without pressure on it when not in use to help preserve the lifespan of the o-rings and springs inside of it. Not sure if you are fimiliar with what I am talking about but just so you know. The regulator is what gives you metered air pressure of exactly the same power for great consistency in the 5 fps or less range of shot to shot variation. Some rifles have one some do not like the S400 is just a knock open valve in which case nothing needs to be done when not in use.

All you have to do is unscrew the air tube about 1 revolution and then dry fire it a couple of times. You will get a full pressure air release for the 1st dry fire and 1/2 pressure sounding release then just a click. After that continue to back the tube out a few more revs to take any pressure off the o-ring in the end of the cylinder to keep it from deforming or being pinched when you screw it back in to shoot.

Dee
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

Thanks Dee,

I've been shooting it at 10 meters all afternoon. Man the Turkeys are even rough scaled down. It is awesome. Very accurate.

I'm going to shoot JSB's. I'm going to order the expresses and the other ones. I can't remember which ones they were. Bruce recommended a couple ones to try.

I unscrewed the tube and dry fired it a couple times. Ready for in the morning. I'm going to try to practice twice daily.

It is a beech wood stock. The laminate ones are nice, but not worth the extra money to me. They both feel identical.

I will post some pictures when I practice in the morning.
JasonPeterson
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

Hey Jason, Congrats you won't regret it, an up grade you might want to consider is the MEC butt, fits right on and is way more adjustable. When you get round to reading the manual you will see there is a switch on the side of the gun for dry firing...LOL. I think you have one of the best setups going. it is worth going the extra mile and setting the rings/scope up for a perfect center at 32.5 yds. Give me a call if you need any help. Express give you a little extra velocity but move around a little more in the wind, i settled on Exact 8.2 (8.4) in the end. Saying that the slightest breeze will move any pellet from the gun, watch out for the mouse farts.. Also after a while you will want to reduce the trigger, it comes felling nice from the factory, but when you get used to it you can bring it way down. Mine is so good now i can't read it on the Lyman digital trigger gage.
At some point there is a mod that you can do that will blow your mind.
Don't lose the sights, we will have you shooting 10 meter in the winter b4 long, great training for silhouette.
I have Just shot my grand slam with mine after too many years got my 10 in a row turkey's.
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

Hi guys, when I look at these pix and hear that it is much like shooting smallbore, I don't understand how your hold can be the same. It appears that the stock is way below the trigger guard. On my smallbores the stocks are halfway or more up on the trigger guard. Is there something I'm missing, or how do you deal with the difference for shooting smallbore? thanks
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Hawk-1 wrote:Hi guys, when I look at these pix and hear that it is much like shooting smallbore, I don't understand how your hold can be the same. It appears that the stock is way below the trigger guard. On my smallbores the stocks are halfway or more up on the trigger guard. Is there something I'm missing, or how do you deal with the difference for shooting smallbore? thanks

Hawk your eyes are not fooling you the stocks are considerably different from a sporter smallbore rifle and a 10m rifle. As such the way you actually hold the rifle is also different. I hold my air rifle the same way I do the Pharr stock with a split finger hold so no difference there. The reason airguns are such good practice for smallbore or any shooting really has to do with the fact it allows you to shoot cheaply anywhere almost. The airgun demands correct form, follow through and trigger control to shoot well and all those things translate over to powder burners that have even faster velocities. The practice in holding steady is just that regardless of the rifle stock. Same thing with touching the trigger off at just the right time, more practice with the airgun that is something you build up skill and can use in any shooting situation. The 10m rifles outside also demand you read conditions as the pellets drift a lot in the wind.

I order 10,000 pellets at a time for $140 so I can shoot 30,000 pellets for the same price as a case of SK Plus for my 1712. It is all about repetition, developing muscle memory and hand eye coordination through good practice. The airgun allows you to get all that on the cheap. It will only take 4 cases of SK to exceed the cost of my 1712 whereas it will take 120,000 pellets to exceed the cost of my 8002.

All that and they are just a blast to shoot! Incredible triggers and laser like accuracy, what is not to love :)

Dee
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

They do feel deferent, but you get to shoot a whole lot more. I've shot almost 1k of pellets since I bought it. It helps so much with the follow through. One of the best purchases I have ever made.
JasonPeterson