Need Air Gun recommendations

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Need Air Gun recommendations

Post by mordecai »

I'm looking for an Air Rifle I can practice with, is worth the dough and my kids can perhaps use. I'd also like to be able to use it in some other Air Rifle disciplines if possible.

Trouble is, I know nothing about air guns and they seem to be classified as either sub-$200 junk or $1500+ match rifles. Is there really nothing in between worth owning?
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Do you have an action type in mind? For a springer, it's hard to be a Beeman R-1. If you don't want to cough up the ~$400 for that, the R-9 is just over half that and still very nice if not quite as powerful. For PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) guns, I don't know that much about them other than a buddy has one (one of the $1500+ you're talking about) that has a scuba tank adapter that he refills the little tank on the gun with. The pneumatics are easier for me to shoot accurately, as there isn't a big spring jump when the trigger breaks and before the pellet leaves the muzzle like there is on a springer. I wish I knew of a really accurate single-pump pneumatic that could push a mid-weight .177 caliber pellet to 600+ fps... well, one that I could afford anyway. :)
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Nope - no action in mind - either will work, but I suspect the PCP will be better for competition should it go that way...

(Missed ya at the State Matches today - where ya been hiding?)
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Today was the first day of pheasant season. I think my Brittany would probably kill me in my sleep if she didn't get to hunt on the first day of the season after waiting all year long... :)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

air rifle

Post by Jerry G »

I think Dasy makes a moderate priced farter that I have seen used in position shooting.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I seriously hope that "scorlett" doesn't mind. He sent me an IM of information but it's too good to keep to myself.

scorlett, if you don't want this posted, let me know and I'll fix it, but in my opinion, you win the "Best Damn Answer for the Month" of October.

Mordecai,
The types of air rifles available today provide a vast array of choices. I got my start at competitive shooting basically by accident when I bought a cheap air rifle (at age 46!). For the few years after that, I became very involved in the air rifle world, not just the silhouette arena, so I feel like I have a broader understanding of what's what than most of the rifle shooters I know that just happen to have an air rifle to two.

Anyway, air rifles can be an amazing tool. But, start you selection process we need to narrow the objective down to something more tangible. As Jason mentioned, the R1 is a good rifle, but I've never seen any one shoot one in air rifle silhouette in the last 6 years. I have an R9 and think it's a very nice little rifle, but I only shoot it in a match as a whim.

Again objectives are needed. Think of classifying the rifles into several categories:
1) Target rifles (10 meter Olympic type completion)
2) Sporting/hunting rifles
3) Precharged Field Target (FT) rifles

1) Target rifles
a) modern late models - FWB, Walther, Anschutz, Steyr
all of the current generation are precharged pneumatics (PCP) - all are incredible to shoot and make fantastic training platforms. All are fairly expensive. Used models with sights will run from $1000-1500, new ones $1500-2000.
b) single stroke pneumatics (SSP). Most of the above rifle models started development as SSPs, and most continued to have both PCP and SSP versions. The SSP is just as accurate and probably as highly developed. The primary draw back is just the ease of cocking, especially in 3 positions shooting. Often slight older models, FWB 601-603, Anschutz 2001-2002 can be found for $800-$1200. RWS 100
c) early competitive rifles. Generally these were the second generation of target rifles; some might say the first generation of really serious rifles. These were spring powered rifles with some ingenuity involved in hiding or masking recoil: FWB300, Anschutz 250-380, and RWS 75. There are normally marvels of engineering and great shooting rifles. The FWB300 followed by RWS 75 will be the most available. Good shooting rifles can often be had for $400-550, with more collectibles going for $600+.

I have a FWB300SU, my first target rifle. It shoots great and I love it. But, I haven't shot it more that 10 times in the last 5 years, since I purchased my used LG200, a Walter 10 meter PCP. The modern rifles are just so easy to load and shoot.

That covers the target rifles, except I did leave out the C02 guns. They really only were popular for a short time, during the transition to PCPs. I don't have any experience with them.

For a serious rifle shooter, I think a 10 meter target rifle is as much a needed accessory as shooting glasses or a spotting scope. I know there are a few folks that don't use one for practice, but I don't think their names aren't on any national championships.

2) Sporting/hunting air rifles. This category has exploded in the last few years with the advent of the PCP rifle.
a) Entry level
ImageImage
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

I Have to agree with him 100%

Post by slowstdy »

Only thing to add is the newer Daystates MK3 all electronic, Lock time is so short, you can almost feel the target go down. I have the same series of guns, the Walther Lg300xt is a fantastic gun for indoors training.
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
bigdaddy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigdaddy »

Great answer Mordecai!

I'm seriously jealous of your guns!

I'm also looking at something like a Walther LG200, but the prices can make your heart stop! ; )
Fick_2141
B Poster
B Poster

I like gas rams

Post by Fick_2141 »

The king of air gun accuracy is without a doubt the PCP's. But if the expence is just too much, or filling air tanks is too much hassel, then a gas ram is the way to go.
Gas rams replace the mechanical spring with an adjustable sealed air chamber. This allows you to adjust the power for your particular ammo, or power needed, or reduced cocking effort. The Gas ram was developed by Theoben of England, and are found in Beeman RX( basically an R1 with theoben GR conversion), Beeman Crow Magnum, Theoben Eliminator, and others.
All mechanical springers will eventually fail. Although most shooters never shoot enough to wear out their springers, silhouette shooters usually find out how much life a spring has. Gas rams can virtualy last for ever, never tire, or take a set.
I have two RX's one in .177, and one in 5mm, and the accuracy is good enough to peg slow moving bumble bees at 40 paces. I attribute this kind of accuracy to the quality of the trigger only found on high end springers, gas rams, and PCP's. Any low end air rifle will not perform well for this very reason.
As with any high powered springer, a very stout one piece scope mount is recommended, and any cheap scope will soon turn into a miracca with the reticle rattiling inside after a short time on a gas ram. Expect to have over $1000 in a combo that can last for generations.
NRA Life Member
PCGC Silhouette match director
Long Range Silhouette Guru.
52B heavy 15X Lyman STS
52B sporter repro w/weaver T24
Rem. 40X USMC marked
HRM12
Kimber 82G