Why is it so hard to start an Airgun Silhouette Match ???

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Why is it so hard to start an Airgun Silhouette Match ???

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I'm a long-time Field Target (FT) shooter and my FT club is a 2hr drive (on a good day). I have started shooting SB Silhouette this year because it's close-by and due to gas prices. I have a SB Silhouette club just 24 miles from my house, very active, yet tepid interest in airgun silhouette. Why is that?

I know a couple members have airrifles to practice silhouette in their homes. One (very kind MD) took an interest, however, it seems to have dried-up.

I have some of the high-end airrifles (Air Arms EV2, ProSport, TX200-SR) and vintage airrifles. I recognize some of you from your locations and logon names from other forums. Some of you may know me too.

Is it me or do airguns get the 'po-pooh' when you show them to SB shooters.

Why is it so hard to get interest in Airgun Silhouette Matches???
RickNW
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Why is it so hard to start an Airgun Silhouette Match ??

Post by RickNW »

I'm new to MS, shot Air MS a couple times and liked it- then tried SB. A local guy managed to get 2 sets of resetable targets- so easy for everyone. The MD started last year and trying to sell it as offhand practice- that got me interested and likely it will replace FT. I can shoot SB every weekend year round; but I had already been working on offhand. So I tried to build it up with SB shooters. We made flyers like Terry advertised here- no takers. The Culb wants the Air MS day to hold something else that day- since we only get 5 or so shooters. Most shooters get around 10 or so; but since I shoot SB and like shooting Air Rifles off hand my scores are higher- I practice. So I think it is that people don't want to look bad?

I'm not sure how to possibly get people to cross over; maybe not enough time to do everything, some also shoot Highpower MS- so another commitment. Several of the local shooters have air rifles; however most are 10M rifles and tough shooting Rams. I've offered to loan rifles, have a couple EV2's for FT- no takers. We use the offhand lanes for FT tiebreakers- makes sence and hardest shots. Well now the offhand lanes are really too easy- compared to MS- so the few that shoot MS shoot better FT- go figure? But most people don't shoot too much or any between matches- so hard to stand there and get a handfull of hits during a match. I try to promote it; but like talking to my teenager- glassed over eyes. I even brought rifle to local 'practice', shot the chickens with air power, worked good for morning practice, then the winds picked up and it got harder- blew a good score; but had a great day shooting!

I don't remember; but think Shakes tried Air MS once, I know he tried FT for a couple three matches; but met new love: she shoots smallbore, highpower and like Harleys- what not to like about her- so no time for Air Rifles!
RickNW
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

We have the same problem at our club and it is one of the oldest Airgun only clubs in the country over 22 years now. It is mostly FT shooters and you can't get them to come out for anything. They know how hard it will be and do not even want to try. Those that understand the airgun will make them a better shooter and can see the challenge of air sils for what it is will go towards it.

The high cost of fine airguns doesn't help but the shooters don't do the math to know the per shot cost is literally a penny or so and you can shoot it at home most likely. If you can hold and follow through breaking a airgun shot everything else will be that much easier since it is so much faster. But people do no get this concept either.

We average around 4-6 shooters per month. Even the FT matches have had low attendance lately it seems. I may go shoot a few of those offhand to show them that they don't need to sit on their asses with straps and thigh rests and knee risers to shoot a pellet through a hole =))

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I shoot at the DIFTA FT club, in Maryland. But I've stopped this year because I'm worn out from the drive (2 hrs there, 3+ hrs back - DC area traffic...). I'm trying to shoot at local venues. If both of you were closer, I'd be there all the time (care to relocate to Richmond, VA?)

I believe I hear what you say, it's a full day (9-1) for SB and do people want to devote more weekend time to airrifles (AS) ? Also the fear factor.

I will try the 50ft paper targets and bring out some old 10M with wood that'll pop their eyes (tyros, etc). Let's see if that gets their attention.

Speaking of airguns and silhouette, has anyone ever shot a .22 airgun at a SB match? I know the chickens and pigs could be easy hits, turkeys a try, but rams more difficult. Compared to CLA, the targets are not that big. Smaller than FT targets and they get a solid hit at 75 yards. Just thinking out load.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.
RickNW
B Poster
B Poster

Post by RickNW »

Did you shoot at DIFTA for FT Natz? I shot in the World Field Target Class- getting ready to go to Worlds in Italy in a couple months. I had problems with rifle- wouldn't fill, then a few weeks later regulator died. My former coach and friend told me to try MS- to work on Offhand for worlds. I'd hear horror stories of offhand at 50M- seems pretty easy now- the targets are bigger then chickens!

Were you possibly one of those crazy guys that shot the Nationals Offhand? I talked to a couple guys from PA, I was curious about MS so asking basic questions. For new years day I shot the indoor, 50ft, FT. I had some setup issues, didn't tighten scope down enough, so it moved. Also MD, good friend(?), started me on the tie breaker lane- just over .25" KZ. But had a fun day, finished about middle group. Planning to do it more next winter; but same day as local MS Match too.

The best part of the day was after the match, drove to Wooster's to pick up a carbon fiber stocked 1712! I just got it back from him again- shiny new hunter barrel!

Rick Knowles
RickNW on FT Forum too.
RickNW
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Hello RIck,

Yes, I shot at the Nationals last year. I normally shoot International (AA - EV2).

The one reason for shooting MS was improving on the offhand.

I can shoot 10M in my house and that may be fun during the winter time, but, it gets old in the summer.

I'll just keep plugging away.....
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I'm like Rick -- a smallbore shooter that got into air rifles and pistols as a way to practice at home with just under 10M to shoot across in my garage. I started in FT then Rick (and others) got me involved in Silhouette, both SB and air. All the air events are great practice for SB -- if you can hold and follow through with an airgun, then you can likely follow through with anything. As a newbie, I'm working on it. I think the cost of entry could be an impediment, although pellets and air are cheap on a relative basis. It is also getting a critical mass of people with the equipment and time when there are so many competing events, especially this time of the year. Air silhouette is especially appealing to me as it is shooting au naturel -- no coats, no muffs, just you and your rifle.

Tom
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jeaux »

I run the air rifle silhouette matches in Baton Rouge at the Bayou Airgun Club (BAC). We are one of the oldest and largest airgun field target clubs/range in the country, but part of the problem is that hardly anybody knows we are there. Back in 2005 I got interested and eventually found a contact on the internet with the BAC and was invited to a FT match. I was instantly hooked and bought a TX200 rigged out for FT the next week. I met Dee through shooting FT at the range there and was introduced to metallic silhoeuttes by another FT shooter that also shot smallbore silhoeuttes. I never travelled to a FT nationals, but shot all the big LA and TX FT matches for a few years often winning either the piston class or Hunter class matches I competed in. I have pretty much switched over to silhouette now and a few of the guys that shot smallbore silhoeutte and had airguns talked me into getting approved matches going once a month. We shoot the air rifle silhoeutte matches year round, but lately there have only been 4-6 people coming out to shoot. The field target guys shoot two times a month, but they have little to no interest in coming out to shoot MS with their air rifles. We keep two sets of resettable targets in the range club house, but I don't think they get much use besides at our match once a month.

I have no doubt in my mind that shooting air rifles in matches and almost daily at home helped make master class as quickly as I did. I suggest any smallbore shooter that wants to get better buy at least one air rifle with or without a scope and practice shooting at home. I combine air rifles with smallbore dry fire practice as I work on different things with each gun, but the time behind the trigger plus the fun factor involved combine to make me a better shot. We have even got Jerry Tureau shooting air silhouettes with us. He just added an open class rifle to his stable to complete his collection, and is excited about it because he knows it will make him an even better shooter. This is a guy that I have witnessed shoot several 39s and a bunch of 38s and 37s at local smallbore matches over the last few years. Even he understands that the way a 10m air rifle forces you to follow through has immense training benefits to other branches of silhouette. Just two weeks ago he smoked me and Dee in open class using Dee's Walther with a 38, and only missed the one turkey and one ram due to some tricky breezes that had picked up during the match. Since there are only a few of us shooting air, we don't spot for each other like we do in smallbore, so we tend to get caught by switching conditions, especially winds. You have never heard so much cussing as when guys are shooting 10m airguns at turkeys and rams on a windy day. You really have to be on top of the conditions then.
Wirenut1212
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Wirenut1212 »

I tell you part of the problem with intrest is lack of support, and I may get in trouble for this from the NRA. I sent them an email wanting a master list of all the sanctioned Smallbore and air rifle matches around the country and they couldn't do that said one didn't exist. Refered me to the big match deal on there website. Someone may post a link here but I haven't been able to find one. How hard would it be to put up a list of all the shoots there times and where they are held? If they are sanctioned shoots they have to have some record of it I would think. I think someone here is working on a site for the southern states. I never see it advertised or mentioned anywhere, on there tv shows or magazines. Just my two cents.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Wirenut1212 wrote:I tell you part of the problem with intrest is lack of support, and I may get in trouble for this from the NRA. I sent them an email wanting a master list of all the sanctioned Smallbore and air rifle matches around the country and they couldn't do that said one didn't exist. Refered me to the big match deal on there website. Someone may post a link here but I haven't been able to find one. How hard would it be to put up a list of all the shoots there times and where they are held? If they are sanctioned shoots they have to have some record of it I would think. I think someone here is working on a site for the southern states. I never see it advertised or mentioned anywhere, on there tv shows or magazines. Just my two cents.
It's not easy to find them all but in the back of Shooting Sports USA http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201107/#/0
(the new lousy digital edition) you can see the upcoming sanctioned matches for each discpline (stating on page 24).
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I think there are two factors why airgun silhouette is so "not popular."

One unavoidable reason is the simple high cost of quality airguns.... Have you priced one lately? I've been a 3,4-position smallbore competitor for 25 years, a high power service rifle shooter off and on for nearly a decade, and a sm bore and high power silhouette shooter again off and on for nearly a decade. I bought an RWS Model 75 spring gun for $375 very early in my shooting career, mounted a scope on it, and have put thousands upon thousands of rounds down my kitchen/bedroom range! Tremendous practice, for the cheap ammo cost of $8 for 500. The gun is still supremely accurate, and reliable....although the mainspring broke on me once, which I had repaired for $150. And I would like to retire it with honor, and replace it with a compressed air rifle, but the cost of $1300 to $1700 for one simply doesn't allow. If a beginning young shooter puts up $1700 for a small bore Annie, it's probably almost impossible for him to cough up an additional cost for an air rifle. Damn things ain't cheap.....

Also, there is the continued American opinion that an airgun is a toy, not something with which to compete seriously. Most of us started with Daisy Red Rider bb guns or Benjamin pump air rifles, but it was only to fill the time until we were allowed a "real gun," a .22lr and/or a Winchester 94 "deer rifle." I think this prejudice still lingers....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I actually have a set of air rifle silhouette targets and shoot in my backyard. I agree with on and off again about air rifle prices too. It took alot and I mean ALOT for me to muster up enough money to just get my 1712. Right now another $500+ purchase for me is just not feasible, so I just shoot my Gamo air rifle at the targets. No matter how poorly Gamo's are looked upon in the air rifle community, I still feel it is better than not shooting at all. I added a new trigger on the Gamo and it is better now. I will just have to deal with it until I can save some more 3:-O la. But when I do upgrade it will be to a TX200. I like PCP's but don't want to have to tote around an air tank. I know I live in Florida, but still. :mrgreen: Any advice just in general?
Baby Huey
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

OnaginOffagin wrote: Also, there is the continued American opinion that an airgun is a toy, not something with which to compete seriously. Most of us started with Daisy Red Rider bb guns or Benjamin pump air rifles, but it was only to fill the time until we were allowed a "real gun," a .22lr and/or a Winchester 94 "deer rifle." I think this prejudice still lingers....
My first was a Crossman 760 :mrgreen: then when I turned about 11 or 12 I wanted a big boy air rifle and got my gamo. Little did I know what else existed :D
Baby Huey
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I thought I'd report back. After our last SB match I held an airrifle intro. I provided introductions and safety on using airrifles (ie always hold the barrel/cocking handle.) and brief history on 10M and FT (i figured the Silh shooters knew their sport).

What I intended to show them was: 10M (paper), Paper Silh (50ft), and 3 field targets. I brought about 5 of my airrifles (AA-EV2, AA-MPR-FT in a custom stock, FWB124 in a custom stock, HW55 with period scope, and Diana 65). My airgun friend brought his FWB P70Jr (converted to FT), and Diana 60 Tyro. Others brought airrifles too (some nice 10M stuff)

While the paper Silh targets may have been a poor substitute for metal, they were cheaper and gave us a good feel for the concept.

I had the FT targets about 12 yds out with easy KZ (3/8", 5/8" (two)).

More people were handling the airrifles than shooting. Seems some have never seen a Tyro (Tirolean or in Germany: Tirolier) stock with the deep dish for the cheek.

There were about 11-12 people show up. What did they like?
1 person shot only 10M
3 people shot paper Silh
5 people shot FT.
Others shot at each of the different types.

Overall? Good camaraderie and safe shooting was had by all. We'll see where this goes in the next few weeks/months.

Question for those clubs with airrifle MS, what range do you shoot on? Same one as SB MS ?
N1YDP
B Poster
B Poster

Post by N1YDP »

i am going to try a airgun demostration and see what happens.i just got made airgun chairman at my club.hope to do a intro to airgun and safety class soon.i think they liked the fact that it is not going to cost them anything because i have all the silhoette and field targets.i have 1/5 and 1/10 scale targets.i thought i would let the kids shoot at the bigger ones so it would be easy for the WOW! factor.
ken