2011 Texas Nationals

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

2011 Texas Nationals

Post by psteiger »

Howdy y’all,

Man, it has been a hot summer. I’m ready for fall and you know what that means……….the 3rd annual Texas Nationals. Yep, coming to you LIVE on September 17, 2011. Last year’s visit by the Houston Texans’ Cheerleaders was the high point of my year. This year, we have contacted Dr. Phil to come out and talk with us about our relationships, during the lunch break. You know, how your 22 gets jealous when you shoot your air guns, and how the air guns always have the majority and gang up in the safe against the 22’s. That sort of thing. We’re hoping Oprah will let him stop by. A couple of twists this year, we have a 22 silhouette match scheduled for Sunday the 18th or you can shoot a 22RF bench rest match on another range, or both! Lunch is included on both those matches, and it’s only a $10 entry fee for each. The world famous Evelio ( I always picture Fabio with a cigarette in his mouth) will be hosting the bench rest match, while Bill Motl will attempt a kidney stone free silhouette match. Greg Gudenburr, Bayou Rifles president, has graciously taken over the Texas Nationals, so I can participate this year. I’m told he’ll be wearing his “special” hat. Bill Motl will be cooking lunch for the Texas Nationals, and anyone who has attended a local match know, it’s the high point for most of us. Greg promises Mark Pharr AND Fenton Sandlin will be there, so you should be, too. As always, if you need a gun, give us a call and we’ll work something out. An early heads up will help. A generous prize table is in the works, along with cooler weather. The entry form will be posted on the Bayou Rifles website http://www.bayourifles.org/ or email me and I'll send you one. Any other questions, call or email!

Thanks
Pat Steiger
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: 2011 Texas Nationals

Post by dustinflint »

Pat,

Do non-Texas shooters have to get a $25 annual membership to TSRA to attend the match?

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dustin, the Texas state asscoiation magazine is worth the $25. Unlike the LA state association that collected annually from a club hosting state championships that was equal to a two year membership and not even sending a membership card or newsletter.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Mary,

I'm not complaining about the fee, I just need to know how much to make my check for.

I really don't understand why any match, in Louisiana, Texas or another state, would force anyone to join an association to shoot in the match. I race bicycles all over the country and I've never been to a race that requires racers to join any association - just need a USACycling license and the entry fee.

Not a big deal to me either way, just wondering...

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dustin,
I do not have an answer as to why some state associations do this but there are some such as Georgia and Florida allow you to shoot in the state championships as long as you are a member of your resident state association THis stems from the old NRA requirment that you be a state association member to shoot in the state association rule, when they expected only residents to compete in championships.
But as a member of several state associations per this rule by the various states I can truly say that the most active that I am a member of is Texas, in fact even if I didn't shoot in Texas, I joing for their support to the shooters in general.

Mary

Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Dustin I see you are planning to make it to this match. I was thinking about it myself, not sure Jeaux can make it right now. As for the State Assoc. fee deal we only paid $10 I think to the TX association for the SB state match in March. They gave us some sort of reciprocation for being LSA members IIRC. That being said I should be all paid up for this match as well lol.

Any word if they got those sweet room deals at the Omni for us out of towners that might take the trip? Is Tureau planning to go as well?

Oh and I have thought the same thing about all the insistence by states that out of state shooters be forced to join that states association just to shoot a state match. Seems like being a member of your own state and the NRA should suffice. Between all the costs of attending a out of town match in this economy you would think they would chill out on the revenuing and just be glad someone it willing to travel to the match. Not make them pay more for the privilage. Yet La. insists on it as well. The funny thing is they say it can't be a State Championship without this as a qualification to shoot in the event. Yet if the club doing all the work and putting on the match said F it and didn't do it anymore what does the shooting sports gain then much less the Associations who claim their goal it so INCREASE shooting opportunities? Seems like a conflict of interest in your own personal interests, AKA STUPIDITY. The problem with the Associations is that they spend dues money on the prefered shooting disciplines of the board of directors and on what is considered "currently hot". So if you shoot for 5 years and paid dues each year you begin to wonder what you are paying for since if not for you the match wouldn't even exist in the first place!

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

So Dee, are you on the board of directors for LA state association?
I agree that there seems to be a lot 'fee' collecting by state asscociations here. but then you should also look into what the NRA collects for fee for running a state, regional matches.

Truthfully, the $30 that I just sent to Texas State Association last week is worth more than any other membership I paid this year. And I did this despite probably not being able to make a Texas state championship this year.

Yes, I am on the board of the Florida state association and the collecting of revenues without responding to the shooters has caused more problems than I care to discuss, but at least I am trying to do something about it.

Mary

Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Similar situation here folks... To shoot the NRA Lightrifle along with our Sporterifle matches and be part of your team, you have to belong to the NYS Rifle & Pistol Assoc. We have many shooters in PA that participate in our Sporterifle and would probably shoot the NRA Lightrifle as well, but they would have to join our states Assoc. Argued till I was blue in the face that it wasn't fair and they were losing revenue because now they wouldn't participate, but fell on deaf ears. If your State Assoc. is anything like ours it's turned into the mini NRA ILA fund generating org Vs for the shooters.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Nope not on the board and don't really care to be, I am to opinionated and outspoken for politics. But if I pay the dues I think it only fair I be able to assess the situation for what it seems to be. I have no desire to fund every states shooting association and I think it is just plain asinine to have such rules in place that will only discourage people from participating or simply add to the expense of those you are trying to attract to your states events. I am all for each state fielding its own Association to promote the shooting sports I just see no need to ask out of town folks to pay for it just because they took the time to attend a match in your state.

See if I was on the board I would bring this issue up and something tells me it would go over like a turd in the punch bowl.

Dee
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

All,

Unfortunately the information regarding the $10 fees for out of state dues is not correct. The TSRA does NOT have a $10 out of state match fee, you must pay for a years dues. Trust me I have complained to the TSRA. I recommend everyone to call the TSRA and complain.

As Mary said their magazine if pretty good, if you like this type of information. I am also just about to review my LA membership for the upcoming Zwolle match.

Greg
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Dee wrote:Dustin I see you are planning to make it to this match. I was thinking about it myself, not sure Jeaux can make it right now. As for the State Assoc. fee deal we only paid $10 I think to the TX association for the SB state match in March. They gave us some sort of reciprocation for being LSA members IIRC. That being said I should be all paid up for this match as well lol.

Any word if they got those sweet room deals at the Omni for us out of towners that might take the trip? Is Tureau planning to go as well?

Dee
Dee,

I'm a little up in the air on this match. Our team usually ends the cycling season at the end of August but this year we're trying to squeeze 3 extra weeks of racing out of it; so I'm supposed to race the last race of the season in Pensacola on Sept. 17-18. HOWEVER, I'm dealing with a LOT of fatigue and burnout from the last 6 months of racing, so I'm thinking of cutting the season a little short and skipping the Tour of Austin next weekend and Pensacola.

If I dont race, I'd like to go to the match. Jerry is considering it too. If I go, I'm happy to drive. I have plenty of room for 3 or 4 plus equipment.

Dustin
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Sorry y'all, been working. It's been a zoo.. I see Greg "officially" answered the question and Dee and Innocent have added their comments. As an out of state shooter, I don't see what the TSRA can do for you. I think it should be ok, if you belong to your own state assn or the NRA, Greg and I will work on it here to try and change things. The people at the TSRA are nice people, but they are more of a political assn than competitor oriented. ( at least as far as silhouette is concerned) They Do publish the articles and pictures I write to the state mag and post results, so that's nice. I raced cars for a while and as long as I was a member of the National sanctioning body, I didn't need to join the local club to run. Makes sense to me............I sure am looking forward to seeing y'all again, as we didn't make nationals, and I'm REALLY looking forward to shooting this year. Bill Motl has been teasing us with lunch samples. If you haven't seen it, go to Dee's website and take a look at the range. We'll be shooting on the smallbore range. We've got shade trees, and a covered pavilion. Lots of space, and permanent benches to sight in on. Any more questions, please pm or email me. jpsteiger (at) earthlink (dot)net

thanks!
Pat Steiger

I heard Mini Kitty was AFRAID to show up, cuz I've been practicing. I think I deserve a shot at winning back part of the wad I've lost betting with her....... :))
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Allright, be there or be square Steiger. I'll be coming in Friday night, (no practice time) and headed out Sunday am for the infamous Denver work instead of going to Raton WWE as an instructor. So after what I heard from jjp we'll be invading your house and terrorizing the cats as E isn't there to do that anymore.
Sooooooo E clean your room, I need a place to crash, Lori I look forward to seeing you and to the boys, well be READY.

Innocent

Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Looking like you will have at least 4 of us coming from La. as well. Should be in Friday around lunch already took the day off :D

Dee
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

We are looking forward to seeing all of y'all. Greg is in full panic mode. Extra tweaking is appreciated. fodder58 (at) gmail(dot) com. Make something up. Bob 259 should have some fun! Poor Evelio (aka Fabio) has gone into hiding. No one has seen him for days. I think he's in training for the jello match. Mark has been doing the PS90 workout.

We will be setting the range on Friday. Greg will be there early. I think he said it should be pellet ready after noon.

It's not to late to come down. We will have spares available for anyone. Please give us a heads up.

thanks
Pat Steiger

There is a fire right now on the east side of the range, actually off the range, I'm told, and the HFD is using the range as a staging area. Should not impact the match as the fire is supposed to be out. A little rain is projected this weekend and it should help a lot.