What do you shoot for Air Rifle Silhouette?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
bigdaddy
B Poster
B Poster

What do you shoot for Air Rifle Silhouette?

Post by bigdaddy »

Just curious what people here shoot for Air Rifle Silhouette?

Chime in if you feel like it...

Thanks,

John
texassbshooter
Unclassified Poster

Post by texassbshooter »

TX200 w/ 6.5x20 efr in sporter class and an s400 w/ weaver t24 for open class.

Post by Guest »

texassbshooter,

Is it even possible to use something like a TAU-200 for Air Rifle Silhouette?

I always lean towards Single Shot Pneumatics when possible or in this case C02, but maybe these aren't powerful enough(?)

Thoughts?

John
bigdaddy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigdaddy »

Whoops, that above Guest reply was from me, I forgot to sign in...

BigDaddy (John)
texassbshooter
Unclassified Poster

Post by texassbshooter »

I am not familiar with the TAU 200, but I did a search for it and it looks like it would be legal in either target or open class,but you would be at a disadvantage using it in open class because of the low velocity. That being said, what I know about air rifles would fit on the head of a pin. Go to a match, shoot it, and have fun. That is what the game is all about.
Alex
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Just started this past summer. Purchased a used HW-77 with BSA 3-12X.. shot 6 matches and had lot of fun. Will add a Leupold 6.5 - 20X when funds allow
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: What do you shoot for Air Rifle Silhouette?

Post by Bob259 »

bigdaddy wrote:Just curious what people here shoot for Air Rifle Silhouette?

Chime in if you feel like it...

Thanks,

John
TX200 or my AZ Styer
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

Rws Excalibre 22 cal Simmons 6x20 44mag scope

bkbishop
B Poster
B Poster

A few of my favorites

Post by bkbishop »

All .177 cal

Sporter Class: HW97K in factory heavy blue laminated stock w/BKL mount and Weaver T36 dot (JSB Exact pellets 8.4gr)

Target Class: Walther LGM-2 Single Stroke Pneumatic w/BKL mount and Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32 custom 1/2MOA dot (JSB Exact pellets 8.4gr)

Open Class: Steyr LG100 Zasadny Modified w/BKL mounts and Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 custom 1/2MOA dot (Kodiak Match pellets 10.2gr)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Brad, I understand your pick of equipment for Sporter Class and Open Class but why the single stroke Pneumatic LGM-2 for Target class? I am not an air rifle competitor (deciding that air pistol was better for me) but it seems like a pcp target rifle such as the Anschutz 2002CA, 8002, 9002, Walther or Steyr 10 meter rifles would be better? Do the single stroke pneumatics not raise your heart rate especially with the fast way most air rifle matchs are conducted? I have heard very strong, athletic shooters using the Air Arms TX200's say that they thought fatigue and elevated heart rate were a factor in 60 shot matchs when the match was run very fast.

Thanks,
Bobby R. Huddleston
bkbishop
B Poster
B Poster

Favorite for today

Post by bkbishop »

Bobby, As you have probably guessed by now, I have favorites for different conditions, weather, etc.
I agree that when it is 100+ degress and 90% humidity down here, it can add to the fatigue using a SSP vs a PCP....but at the time I posted this, it was 58 degrees and I was shooting it better than anything else I have....the LGM-2 also "just fits" me for some reason. Maybe the adrenaline ignores the fatigue sometime ?
If I replied today to this question, I would probably have picked the FWB 700 in the Universal stock....
This may also be why I am such a low ranked competitor....I like the different types of equipment too much to settle in on just one.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Brad is too modest. He has quite a collection and is very generous to those lucky enough to shoot with him. He has extensive knowledge of air rifles. There are very few he has not shot, or owned, and gives a great reviews. He is an excellent shot on only rarely loses to my 13 year old... :D
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

Well, why not.

TX200 was the first airgun I ever purchased. Well, that was after I was given a Chinese SuperMax B18. I shot one match with it and decided "screw it, get a real gun!" So I got a new TX200 and shot the snot out of it. My rational as to why to spend more on a Air Rifle than a SB rifle? (I had an NS at the time). I could practice at home! No more miles to the range or .22 ammo. It helped a lot.

Anschutz 2002SSP was the second. I got into at home practice so much I decided to give my TX spring a rest. I was worried I would wear it out or that was my rational. Great gun. Loved it but likey a dummy sold it to upgrade to a 2002CA.

Anschutz 2025. It was offered, I shot it a bunch at matches before it was offered when my partner upgraded to the LG300. At the same time I traded up to the 2002CA and sold my loved SSP figuring I would be buying a SCUBA tank. Then I got relocated where they don't shoot any silhouette and never bought a tank!

So...

PCP. Well, I was a $$ weenie and never got a quality 120CF 3500 tank. So I borrowed air, worried about air, stupid really!! I sold the 2002CA as I never loved it like the SSP. Sometimes you develop a bond with a gun, sometimes you don't. What can I say. I think it was the ALU stock that I did not bond with.

Over the NH winter I went back to the trusty TX200 and shot out a window into the snow. It was hard work to get back in the groove with the gun.

In summary....

TX200 is a great place to start. I know a bunch of guys who shot the HW97 a lot. I wondered if I was missing something. I note today some have converted to TX200s due to durability, ability to repair oneself. And one guy said, less sense of recoil. And, you can shoot this gun in Sporter AND Open class.

Then pick up a SSP or even old CO2 target gun. I love my 2002SSP so much I got a replacement which I was just shooting earlier today. Great great at home practice tool! And you provide the air, one stroke at a time. Depending on wind conditions in your area, you could start with a target gun and shoot it for Target and Open. If not a gusty day a Target gun can be shot just as effectively as an open gun. Some folks shoot two guns, sporter and target and based on conditions or "groove factor with the spring gun", shot one or the other for Open.

Have fun!!