IZH-46M

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

IZH-46M

Post by mordecai »

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/55.html

What's the skinny? I'm reading these are a pretty good place to start - plus I'm thinking cheap backyard practice!!
ImageImage
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Mordecai, yes the IZH46M in my opinion is the most bang for your buck in the shooting sports and take in to account this will be our sixth season of Smallbore Silhouette. For the cost of a Weaver T Series Scope you can set up a complete IZH46M rig for either iron sight or any sight class Taco Hold. Go right to the two hand Taco Hold. The Taco Hold is easy and it will give you the full benefit of the front heavy weight of the IZH46M. The Mecca of Air Pistol Silhouette is Haltom City Texas Gun Club. They shoot these pistols at their Indoor Matchs every Tuesday Night 52 weeks out of the year. The folks there hold most of the World records in Air Pistol Silhouette because they shoot and practice so much. Most participants tell me that they average four practice matchs daily after work on non-match days. If Christmas is on Tuesday night I think they still shoot. We plan to make the seven hour drive at least once this year to shoot a match there. I e-mailed the Haltom City Match Director Don Strickland in November 2005 with many questions about AP Silhouette. He passed my questions on to the more seasoned veterans there. To a man each person owned at least one IZH46M even though they owned Steyrs, Morinis, FWB's and other $1500 PCP Scuba Pistols. I researched and studied AP for one year and purchased my first IZH46M in November 2006 setting it up with a Steve Martens(www.daisysights.com) Taco Hood, NRA front post and rear adapter block with a Merit Adjustable rear aperature. I have to wear a minimum of a +1.75 Diopter lens("cheap reading glasses") in my dominant eye to see the front sight clearly. I cannot tell which way the ram is turned with these lenses but when you look through the Merit Peep everything clears up including the target. We had so much fun with the iron sight pistol that my son requested a scoped any sight IZH rig for Christmas. I called Fenton Sandlin for the scope mount for this rig. The Air Pistol guys that make the products you need are all on schedule and I would receive all of these products in less than a week after placing my order unlike a lot of Smallbore Rifle Suppliers. Many of the serious shooters at Haltom CIty use the Leupold EFR 6.5 to 20 on their any sight rigs but many others just use a cheap Bushnell 4 power. I went with a 3 to 9 power X 32 Bushnell with Target Turrets and it has plenty of magnification. I shoot chickens on 6 power and the other three animals on 9 Power. For less than $70.00 this scope exceeded all my expectations in every detail. The main thing is you want a RIFLE SCOPE NOT A PISTOL SCOPE with resettable to zero target turrets, an adjustable objective that will focus down to 10 yards or less and 1/4 MOA clicks. There is absolutely no recoil to the pistol and the triggers are excellent right out of the box. We have not touched the trigger settings. We normally shoot a dot in Rifle Silhouette but the crosshair is not bothering us in Air Pistol. I suggest setting up a scoped IZH rig first and then if you like it an Iron Sight rig later. The only suggestions I received about cleaning, lubrication and maintenance were do not do anything to the pistol but shoot it. When the seals are worn replace them. The IZH people are saying more pistols are coming back for service because of overlubrication than any other reason. The only other advice was to never shoot a cheap pellet through the pistol. Always shoot high quality Match Pellets. Compared to Smallbore Ammo, Match pellets are cheap. I am shooting the most expensive Match Vogels from Pilkington Competition and they are only $80 per sleeve of 5,000. Many people are using JSB Exacts and Crosman Premier Domes. We tried a Daisy 747 many years ago and it was a piece of junk compared to the IZH. The Daisy had to be rebuilt for each shooting session. So, we were very hesitant to buy another air pistol. I also suggest that you buy a set of real targets from Carroll Scioneaux in Southeast Louisiana or Mike Stimson(Stimson Enterprises in Texas). Both Manufacturers make resettables. We have cut four 1 inch dowels with string the correct lengths for each of the four animals so setup is easy for a Match. Shooting a complete Match in a small backyard in town in less than a 20 yard space with actual legal NRA targets is much more fun than just shooting paper. Mike Stimson says there is nothing out there that can really beat the Russian and we have found out that he is correct. Get the IZH set up properly and you will be able to shoot in the high 30's with the scoped rig. If I planned to shoot 10 meter Paper International Air Pistol one handed though I would not buy the IZH 46M because it is too front heavy. But what makes it unsuited for 10 Meter makes it perfect for two handed Silhouette. Hope this helps and I will respond through this post if you would like to ask any specific questions.

Bobby R. Huddleston
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

atomicbrh wins the "Best Damn Answer for the Month" of January award!

An answer like that is the reason we put this board up - so people can learn what it takes to get involved in a sport and atomicbrh didn't leave too many stones unturned. Thanks a ton - you about had me pulling my wallet out before I could remember to put the pistol on my list of I wants first...
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

What's the price range on a pistol like that? I've decided to go with the quality over quantity motto and am cleaning out quite a few guns (centerfire, rimfire, and air) and will be buying one air pistol, one air rifle, and two centerfire rifles. Depending on the price, this pistol might be the air pistol.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I've seen them around $260-$300, some coming with a scope rail and a red-dot.
ImageImage
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Yes, $285 plus shipping is the median price now for the IZH46M. You are going to have to get up in the $1200 to $1500 PCP range to get a air pistol that is any better. You can pick up used Co2 Match Pistols cheap but filling Co2 cylinders under variable temperature conditions can result in partial fills. All the Air Pistols and needed accessories have already been figured out for us by the folks that shoot AP Silhouette on a regular basis unlike Air Rifle Silhouette where there were so many choices I could not make a decision on which air rifle to purchase. Also there have never been any controversial rule changes or judgements in Air Pistol Silhouette. The rules have remained the same for years. LISTEN TO ME! Use what the World Record holders use. Use a Fenton Sandlin scope mount and a Variable Air Rifle Scope(1/4 MOA clicks 3 to 9 Power or 3 to 12 Power with Target Turrets and a adjustable objective that will focus to 10 yards or less) for your optics. Mr. Sandlin will build your scope mount for either BKL or Weaver type rings, whichever you prefer. My BKL setup works great and allows you more freedom than the Weaver rings to put the rings and scope where they need to be. If you want to go for quality the "red dot and scope rail" sold as a package with the IZH46M is not the way to go. I also prefer to buy products from smaller suppliers such as Mike Stimson or Scott Pilkington that actually know about what they sell and can communicate with me intelligently. You must also remember that you are not really throwing $285 down the drain with the IZH 46M. If you do not like it, you can easily sell it for $200 to $220 if you do not modify the grips. So, you are really only throwing about $80 or less down the drain. The least I have seen a used one go for is $185 and it only lasted a few minutes. Do a Search and you can easily find all the suppliers that I have mentioned. Silhouette Match participation teaches a person what Jason has stated: Go for quality in shooting equipment not quantity.

Bobby R. Huddleston
bigdaddy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigdaddy »

I shoot 10m air pistol with the 46m w/custom grips and I am struck by the utter simplicity of the gun as well as the ease by which any layman can take this gun down and rebuild ANY part on it.

It is a hard, hard gun to beat. Is it nose heavy? Yes. Can you get used to it? Yes. But as was stated before, with the Taco hold, the extra "nose weight" might actually be a plus!

Great gun that can out shoot most people on the 10m range and seems to absolutely excel in the silhouette game!

Just a couple of points,

John
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Bigdaddy: Tell us about the aftermarket grips you purchased for your IZH46M. I do not want to carve on my factory grips until we attend a large enough match that we can see and shoot IZH46Ms with a lot of different grips. How much do the aftermarket grips cost? Who supplies them? Did you have to modify them and do you think they are suitable for the Taco Hold instead of the 10 meter one-handed hold?

Thanks,
Bobby R. Huddleston
bigdaddy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigdaddy »

atomicbrh,

I got them with the gun when I bought it from a guy, but he just bought them from www.airgunsofarizona.com and put them on the gun. Very adjustable, pretty and overall quite nice. They are expensive kind of, but well, I'd buy them again, or I'd opt for a more expensive gun, because for me the IZZY with stock grips was not working for me.

I actually got rid of my first IZZY because of its grips, but then gave it another try with custom grips.

I mostly shoot 10m air with it, but it appears to be the premiere gun for silhouette pistol out there!

John
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Here's a picture of a "Taco Hold" open sight rig

Post by edgehit »

My best score with this pistol is 38x40 shot at Haltom City. The shooters there are great and very helpful, at least until you start beating them! :wink: . I have adjusted the trigger to the ragged edge of single stage insanity. So far, no AD's (knock on wood). My grip is ugly and I love it that way! No sandpaper was involved in defacing the grip. The high tech stain is permanent Marks-a-lot.

The sights are from Martins http://www.daisysights.com.
My Izzie loves RWS Meisterkulgens 8.2gr rifle version.

I would never sell this pistol. It's a wonderful value.

- Joe
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Very very cool.

Thanks for the info. Maybe after the tax man is done with my rearend, I'll try to get my hands on one as was my goal.

Blessed taxman...
ImageImage
hpsr1
Unclassified Poster

air pistol

Post by hpsr1 »

Much has been said about the Russian guns & how wonderful they are. Think that is subjective. Having shot a number of perfect scores with a Daisy 747 with a Leupold 3 x 9 mounted on it find it hard to look to a more expensive gun that is more difficult to load. Back in the 90's when the NRA had just sanctioned air pistol the members of the Lewiston Pistol club held many/most of the nationals records & all of them shot Daisy 747's & Meisterkuglen pellets. Having been away from the air gun scene for a few years I tried a Russian gun recently & found the following. For IHMSA the barrel is 1/4" overlength & must be shot in the unlimited class. It is hard to load & tired old fingers like mine can't get 5 shots off in the alloted time. Good scope mounts hard to find. One thing I must agree on the Haltom city bunch is the cream of the crop today when it come to airgun & pistol silhouette in general. hpsr1
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

How do you mount a scope securely on that Daisy 747. I like the looks of it, and the price. I like having the option of using optics on my pistols, though, and the pictures that I've seen of the gun don't show an obvious way to mount a scope. You mentioned that you had a Leupold 3-9x on yours, though, so I know it can be done. :)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Jason has been waiting 10 days for someone to reply and tell him how to put a scope securely on a Daisy 747. Why have none of the folks who shot perfect scores "back in the 90's" with the Daisy 747 replied to help him?

Bobby R. Huddleston
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Bobby/Jason -

I've never shot anywhere near a perfect score, in competition or practice, however I know B-Square at least USED to make a scope mount for the IZH46 that would also fit the Daisy 747. I've had folks tell me they don't sell them or manufacture them anymore though. I bought one a few years ago for my IZH, found it also fit the Daisy, and that's where it's been ever since (I've the daisysights open sight taco setup on the IZH and LOVE it!).

While I've not used one, or seen anything but a picture of one, I understand that you can still get a custom scope mount for the IZH from Jay Axelrod at 772-571-1334 or from Fenton Sandlin at 903-765-3221.

--Tim

PS - Concerning the Daisy vs IZH accuracy.... I've tuned on, and replaced barrels, triggers, valves, seals, etc on the Daisy over the years and my IZH "out of the box" is definately more accurate, regardless of pellet. Having said that, the Daisy is as, if not MORE, accurate than my skill level. I probably shoot the Daisy 10X more, only because I use it to practice for Hunter Pistol/SBHP silhouette. I did find the Daisy doesn't change the point of impact nearly as much as the IZH when switching between different brand/wieghts of pellets.... They both are pretty much "single hole accurate" at 10 meters with just about any pellet, it's just the Daisy is a ragged hole and the IZH is pretty much a clean hole.