R-1 and R-7 Questions

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

R-1 and R-7 Questions

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I have a Beeman R-1 and a Beeman R-7. These rifles were manufactured sometime around 1975 I would guess. Both need a tune up.
Where would any of you recommend I send these for a tune up?
Also, I don’t have much knowledge of air rifle silhouette. I do shoot SB and HP silhouette, so I know the game in general, but nothing about air rifle. So, I’m wondering your opinion on these rifles. Which air rifle silhouette game can they be used in and are they a reasonable choice?
Also, when I have them tuned up, is there anything special I would want done to them if I planned to shoot them in silhouette?
Thanks
Jon.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: R-1 and R-7 Questions

Post by richard »

I cannot tell you who to go to for tuning as I have mostly done that myself on my stuff. We have a local guy in New Jersey that everybody is happy with plus there are guys listed on the airguns.net site. The local guy is Jan Craner. I have no contact info and not sure about spelling.
Both rifles will work for silhouette although they would not be my first choice. The R1 is way more powerful and also harder to cock. The R1 could work also for field target where the R7 is a bit light in the power department. I believe that the most popular spring guns are the Air Arms model TX 200 and the Air Arms ProSport. Close seconds are the HW77 and the HW97. I have used lots of different guns including an R10,a TX200, a FWB 124, and on and on. Currently I use an Air Arms Pro Sport and for pre charged an Air Arms Pro Target.
I hope this helps.
Richard
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I would sell them both and get a TX200. The Beemans are nice spring rifles to be sure but more along the field shooting/hunting school of use. Those are older models more coveted by many collectors. Between the costs to get them tuned up again and the impractical nature of the rifles for Silhouette I would maybe see about trading both for a working TX200 or sell them for enough to buy one. They have a lot of guys that do their own tuning, rebuilds etc so you might just get lucky and find one looking for a couple projects.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Thanks for the responses.
I've been looking at the TX200's but not sure I want to jump in yet as I probably won't have many opportunities to shoot air rifle silhouette.
For those of you who do their own tuning on springers, do you own a spring compressor or how do you handle that part of the tuning project?

Thanks.
Brent s
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Brent s »

ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Brent, thanks for the links, they are much appreciated. I tore down the R-7 on Wednesday night and it was pretty simple.
I ordered new seals and a spring yesterday before I saw your post. My R-7 is an older model without a safety.
What grease or lube do you use on the springs?

Thanks

Jon.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

The tune jobs on the R-1 is simple with the right tools..hardest part is the main spring removal...Back in the dayI did the Laser up grade myself. Presently I have a gasramsystem in my R-1 same set up as in my crowmagnum-also known as a Theoben Elimenator. But as much as I love em I would go with the pre-charged gun today if I was going to shoot silhouette or field target.
Brent s
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Brent s »

ywltzucanrknrl wrote:Brent, thanks for the links, they are much appreciated. I tore down the R-7 on Wednesday night and it was pretty simple.
I ordered new seals and a spring yesterday before I saw your post. My R-7 is an older model without a safety.
What grease or lube do you use on the springs?

Thanks

Jon.
I would buy this package deal If I were you
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/cat ... 002734.htm

Brent s
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Brent, thanks again for the info. I have a couple of questions on lube application.
How heavily do you apply it on the spring?
Do you apply any on the piston seal?
What other areas do you lube?

Thanks
Jon.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I should have been more clear on my last question. I read the link on lubricating and I assume it would be the same for the R-7 and the R-1.
Let me know if that's not the case and thanks again.

Jon.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Use Tar on the spring and put a nice coating all over each coil. Don't gunk it up with Tar I like mine to look like it is well coated and then has a little extra around the outside as I dab a little extra on. The Tar is to dampen the spring vibration and sound it makes when fired it is not actually a lubricant. It just deadens the twang of the spring inside the compression tube.

As for the Moly lube. Less is more and it only needs to be applied to the back edge of the pistol seal. Every time you cock it the seal will be dragged as it is retracted and leave a nice fine layer of lube. Besides that lube the contact points on the piston but do not worry about coating the entire piston as only those surfaces that touch inside the tube get any wear and friction.

Dee
Brent s
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Brent s »

ywltzucanrknrl wrote:Brent, thanks again for the info. I have a couple of questions on lube application.
How heavily do you apply it on the spring?
Do you apply any on the piston seal?
What other areas do you lube?

Thanks
Jon.
I like to put tar on the outer spring and just enough to where it spiderwebs/THIN strings connecting the coils here and their. and a thin coat on the guide, putting the spring back on will clean most of this off anyway.
Pistions and moly, less is more but I also put a smear around the skirt/rear of the piston as well.
You can put the euro lube, tar or moly( i use tar) on the break barrel joints and top of the cocking arm (r7). moly on the bottom of the arm(r7).

Brent s
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Brent and Dee, thanks much for the information/help. I rebuilt the R-7, and it's working nice. I will probably get the R-1 sometime next winter.
Again, I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Jon.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Great to here ya got the lil pup running again. The more you shoot it the more it will smooth out as well if it isn't already.

The R1 is a great sporter/hunting rifle with lots more thump than the R7 which I think of more as a plinker fun gun that just happens to be sweet shooting.

Dee