Air Rifle Classes at the Southern Nationals?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Air Rifle Classes at the Southern Nationals?

Post by CZforlife »

Fairly simple question for the right person! I have a FWB 300s and will soon have a Daystate X2-R. May still have a TX200 but I think that will be gone by then. What classes would/could I shoot these air rifles at the Southern Nationals!
Baby Huey
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Air Rifle Classes at the Southern Nationals?

Post by Innocent »

Baby Huey....you will shoot them all, as there will be air rifles around to tease you with.

Innocent Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Daystate would be open class. Not familiar with that model but Daystate doesn't make Sporter class rifles nor Target Class. The 300 you can shoot in Target and Open (I have no idea about Sporter Class but I am thinking probably not even though it is spring powered) As for the TX Sporter and Open. I know you are not a average sized young man so fit is important but at Winnie I bet you could show up with nothing but the entry fee $$ and have people let you shoot their rifles in the match. I take it you aren't even classified yet in any of the classes? They run matches to get you classified if you get there early enough. But if not no worry that just means you have to beat Motl and Elizabeth S. etc in Master =))

We are considering shooting the Open match on Friday. In the past we have done all 3 showing up on Wed. and found ourselves shot out come the smallbore matches. So go easy on the airguns just enough to warm up and shoot the match. It is easy to get carried away while you are there all day wanting to shoot. The past couple of years we have not shot airgun at all. We want to and you think we would since we do shoot airgun every month locally and one night a week all 3 classes. Makes for a lot of rifles to haul.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
hambone49
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Location: In memory of Tbone, I moved into his house in Hollywood, Florida

Post by hambone49 »

That's an easy one. XXXL class.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

hambone49 wrote:That's an easy one. XXXL class.
Hammy, Hammy, Hammy... I'm thinking you need to take some sensitivity training classes... Your going to give poor BH a complex =)) :ymdevil:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Dee, what airguns do ya shoot for hunter and open, pcp!
Baby Huey
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Huey, I just bought a Crosman Benjamin Marauder and I also have a Air ArmsTX200. The way I understand the rules I plan to shoot the Marauder in Target Rifle & Open Rifle and the TX200 in Sporter Rifle.
If you are going to use your TX200 check the weight. Mine barely makes the 11 lbs. with the scope I have on it.
ppkny

3.3 Silhouette Air Rifle:
(a) Target Air Rifle: Any unaltered factory target air rifle designed for U.S. and International 10 metercompetition. (i.e., as produced or sold by Anschutz, Beeman, Crosman, Daisy, Feinwerkbau, RWS, Steyrand Walther). Use of scopes or iron sights, including diopter sights is allowed. Any older gun may be brought up to current factory specifications using only factory catalogue barrel weights.
(b) Sporter Air Rifle: Any unaltered factory sporter air rifle that is or was a catalogue item, readily available over the counter to the general public, weighing no more than 11 pounds, with scope and mounts. Rifles utilizing pre-charged systems of any kind other than 12.0 gram disposable C02 units are prohibited.
(c) Open Air Rifle: Any air rifle weighing no more than 16 Ibs. with scope and mounts. Length of barrel and action measured from the rear of the metal action or air chamber to the end of the muzzle, including anyextension, must not exceed 40". Rifle may utilize any self-contained or externally-charged compressed air system, but such system must be completely self-contained at time of firing. Hook buttplates are prohibited. All air rifles not meeting Rules 3.3(a) or 3.3(b) will be fired in the Open Air Rifle class. The storage of reservoir tanks for either compressed air or C02 is prohibited on the firing line or in adjacent
spectator areas. (See Rule 9.9.1.)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

BH I shoot a Walther LG300 Hunter in open class, a TX200 in Sporter and a Annie 8002 in target class.

PPKNY- I don't think the Marauder will be allowed in Target Class as it is not a 10m rifle shooting around 600 fps unless you have tuned it down that far.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Dee wrote:...........PPKNY- I don't think the Marauder will be allowed in Target Class as it is not a 10m rifle shooting around 600 fps unless you have tuned it down that far.
Glad it was you that told him this Dee, it would have been a long ride with him complaining all the way to the match if I did ;) =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Dee wrote:PPKNY- I don't think the Marauder will be allowed in Target Class as it is not a 10m rifle shooting around 600 fps unless you have tuned it down that far.
Does that mean that I can shoot my Marauder in both classes if I have it tuned down to 600fps with the 7.9gr Premier Lites for target and turn it back up to ~860 with 10.5 Premier Heavies for open? The first is my "garage practice" tune and the second is my "outdoor practice" tune. It takes about 10 seconds to adjust the gun and about that long to adjust the scope between the two. :)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Jason wrote:
Dee wrote:PPKNY- I don't think the Marauder will be allowed in Target Class as it is not a 10m rifle shooting around 600 fps unless you have tuned it down that far.
Does that mean that I can shoot my Marauder in both classes if I have it tuned down to 600fps with the 7.9gr Premier Lites for target and turn it back up to ~860 with 10.5 Premier Heavies for open? The first is my "garage practice" tune and the second is my "outdoor practice" tune. It takes about 10 seconds to adjust the gun and about that long to adjust the scope between the two. :)
I really have no idea but have pondered the same thing since zeroing a air rifle takes all of 5 minutes. Would depend on how strictly they want to interpret the 10m gun by design spirit I guess. As someone competing against others that might do such a thing I wouldn't have a problem with it so long as it chronographs at ~600 fps or less with lite pellets. The effects of the wind would then be equal as far as I am concerned to any true 10m rifle.

I wonder if anyone ever used the AA S400 in this manner as it is only a matter of turning a external knob to adjust velocity. What I do know is that I would much rather the heft and adjust stock along with the trigger on my 8002 over my S400 any day.

Dee
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

So let me just check this with you guys to make sure I have this correct. I can shoot the daystate that shoots about 900fps in open class, and the FWB300s which is right around 600fps in target class correct? Im about 90% sure I wont have the TX by then so I'll just rest for sporter... =))
Baby Huey
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Looking at the Open Class rules, and specifically the "Hook buttplates are prohibited" this will eliminate some factory PCP's. Here are some examples:
1) Air Arms EV2 has a factory buttplate that is adjustable and can be considered a 'hook buttplate". See here: http://www.air-arms.co.uk/products_EV2.html

Technical Site Note on EV2: I could turn down the velocity on my EV2 and enter it in the Target Airrifle Class. True. Let me explain. The Air Arms - EV2 platform was a modified receiver of their ProTarget platform (I had one, I know). The ProTarget platform had a regulator modification and was from their RN-10 platform. The RN-10 was Air Arms 10 meter competition air rifle. The trigger housing on the EV2 is 99% the same as the RN-10. Only the outside shape of the stock has changed. Anyone who's known Air Arms for a long time would have this knowledge (and could be documented by Air Arms). So, I could turn down the velocity on my EV2 and technically enter it in the Target class. Same could be done with the FWB P70FT (it's the field target version of the 10M P70).

Back to the hook buttplates.
2) The FWB P70, P700, P800 (http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules ... PageId=341) also have (what can be considered as a) 'hook buttplate'.

3) The Anschütz 8002, 9003, etc line also have (what can be considered a) hook buttplate. See examples here: http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 352&page=1

So, the real question on the 'Hook Buttplate' is, are the rules clearly defined as to what is a 'hook' ? And if the adjustable buttplates above can be turned into a hook they should be DQ'd from competition.

If you disagree with me, then please explain your reasoning why these factory buttplates are Adjustable and the bottom wing/tip of them can be moved to form under your armpit.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I don't really consider those "hook" buttplates but rather adjustable buttplates. To me a hook is the big one the actually goes under the arm pit. I pulled the adjustable plate off my 8002 and replaced it with a homemade flat shoe crepe pad glued to a thin piece of plywood to mount on the butt plate. If you shoot with a vest on the hook would be impossible to use. As it is I found the others with just the flared ends also undesirable with a vest on. The one I made was cut to the same size and shape as the pad on my 1712 and is pretty close to my Rem. 700 pad as well. This way all my rifles shoulder in the exact same way on my vest pad.

As for using the EV2 I don't see where it would be a issue to turn the velocities up and down for each class but you are going to have people who want you to chronograph it with light pellets for Target class speeds I would imagine. As I have said before I wouldn't be opposed as someone competing with a true 10m rifle so long as the velocity is the same the winds affects will be the same.

Dee
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

cj2, the hook buttplate referred to is intended to prevent the hooks commonly used in 3 and 4 P shooting. The stocks with curves to the butt plate such as the FWB link is not a hook butt plate.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.