Rifles for Air Gun Silhouette

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
dsundberg
Unclassified Poster

Rifles for Air Gun Silhouette

Post by dsundberg »

Hi,

Our Club in Prescott, AZ is considering adding a rifle course to our existing pistol matches beginning in March. I am being asked "What rifles do experienced silhouette shooters use in the three NRA classes?"
What are your recommendations for:
A. 10 meter target class?
B. Sporter class?
C. Unlimited?

If we have only enough shooters to have one competition, can the 10 meter rifles compete with the springers in the sporter class and the PCP's in the unlimited class?

Additional question: What is the lightest (safe) trigger that can be set on the TX200 III? Can it be around 16 ozs?

Thanks in advance,
Dave in AZ
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Rifles for Air Gun Silhouette

Post by CZforlife »

I have the trigger on my TX200 down to 8oz and I have not had a single safty issue with it. I have also heard of Field Target Shooters hitting 4ounces with some additional modifications to springs, but do not know how safely they work. Might work flawlessly, may not, I do not know.
Baby Huey
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

You ask a very subjective question. The answer is shoot whatever fits the class and will shoot accurately enough. Target class rifles pretty much all shoot accurately enough but do not have a lot of power. You can also shoot target rifles in open class. I shot a gamo 126, a Walther LGR, and an anshultz 2002 in target class. Guys still shoot FWB 300s in target class and do okay.
Open class is just that. Basically any rifle can be used and you see all kinds of rifles in this class. generally open guns cannot be shot in other classes.
Sporter rifles can be shot in open class and there are also lots of them as well. The ones I think are the best are the AA TX200, the AAProSport, HW77, and HW97. Break barrels like the R series and RWS guns also work.
You didn't ask about scopes but generally anything with an AO that will hold up and has adjustments that are repeatable will work. Power from 12X up to maybe 40X or so.
Good luck running matches.
Richard
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShooterP14 »

BH -

PM sent.
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!