Open Bolt Indicators

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Open Bolt Indicators

Post by ppkny »

How does everyone deal with open bolt indicators being in position with springer rifles. My TX200 breach is always closed. It only opens when the cocking lever is extended. Do you have to leave the cocking lever open ? Any help would be appreciated.
ppkny
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Open Bolt Indicators

Post by Dee »

We just don't worry about them. The design doesn't lend itself to having a empty chamber insert used. Considering they are single shots so long as everyone has the understanding that once you load a pellet you shoot that pellet immediately after it shouldn't be a problem. When we have had rifles unable to discharge on the line we stop what we are doing and work on getting the issue resolved to insure the pellet has exited the barrel and the spring tension has been released. You could always just break the cocking arm lever away from the ball detent to the point where it contacts the spring before compression. This is visually obvious from just looking at the barrel and will stand in a gun rack no problem also. While this will not stop a accidently discharge should the rifle have a pellet and be fully cocked, if fully cocked you will know it because the lever will rotate all the way with no stop or effort indicating the spring is under tension and the rifle is already cocked and possibly loaded. The safety is auto activated for each shot but not until the end of the cocking stroke is reached so it can not be engaged on without cocking it.

As for PCPs we just leave the bolt open a tad bit which is a good practice to prevent probe o-ring deformation as well.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Pete, short answer for Winnie is don't worry about it.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Thanks forthe replys
ppkny
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Some FT clubs require that the cocking handle not be latched, as an indicator that it's not cocked and loaded. Didn't really understand that logic though. Could just case it between animals rather than rack it.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

I have a copy of an email from Gregory Connor dated 2/15/2005 stating that rule 3.21 ECI does not apply to air rifle. The former match director at Delran Junior Marksman Club challenged the rule, relative to air rifles, when the rule was first adopted. Obviously some air rifles are more dangerous with the action open which of course is required for the device to be used. There are at this time, and probably never will be any more matches at Delran however at Falls Twsp. we do try to use ECIs. They are home made affairs made with weed wacker line.

As a strictly historical note I formally objected to the ECI rule when it was first adopted for high power and I was really chastised by the NRA in their response letter. I said then and I still feel that if you can't tell whether or not your rifle is loaded you shouldn't be allowed on the range in the first place. The rule apparently came about because of an incident at Perry when a service rifle went off unexpectedly. If a person can't tell if an action is open without the ECI then they need to get a different hobby! They just should not be a substitute for proper range discipline. I am not looking to do battle on this as it is over and pursuant to the rules I use the ECIs or OBIs or whatever you call them.
Richard