Southern Nationals Air Rifle Match Questions

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Southern Nationals Air Rifle Match Questions

Post by Jason »

I just talked my way out of some project delivery dates at work and am going to get to come to Winnsboro. With that in mind, my inexperience with air rifle silhouette leads me to some questions.

1) Who is running the air rifle matches? Is it Mary and Pat like happened a couple years ago? Sending email/PMs might be a better way to get quick, accurate answers since I'm short on time.

2) Are the qualification matches going to be shot the day before the big matches start? It says they will on the entry form but Ducky said no qualification matches will be shot. I'm not sure if he was only referring to smallbore, though. The only sanctioned air rifle silhouette match I have shot was the open class match at Winnsboro a couple years ago. I don't really mind competing in Master class, as I expect my scores will be nothing great due to lack of experience and I don't expect to win anything anyway. I'd show up a day early to get to shoot more air rifle matches if they are happening, though. I need to know if I need an extra night of hotel stay.

3) The only halfway decent air rifle that I have is a Crosman Marauder and I am wondering what classes that it can be shot in. I know it can't be shot in sporter class. I know that I can shoot it in open class and there was discussion about it being eligible for target class if turned down to push the ~8gr pellets at no more than 600fps. The two settings that I use on the rifle are 10.5gr CPH @ 890FPS for pest control and outdoor practice and 7.9gr CPL @ 595 fps for indoor practice. The only necessary change to switch power is turning the transfer port a couple turns. While this seems to satisfy the power requirements, I'm not convinced that it really meets the "10-meter target rifle" spirit of the rule, though. Opinions from match director(s), jury or anyone else?

4) How do I confirm that there will be loaner rifles available for classes that I don't have a rifle for? This is very cool and generous of the rifle owners, but seems like demand may exceed supply for something like this. I'd prefer not to send in entry fees and show up a day earlier but then not get to shoot the match(es) for classes that I don't have. Is lack of loaner rifles usually an issue or might it be for the "Last Dance" matches?

5) Would it be more convenient for those running the match for me to pay entry fees there onsite once I make sure that there are loaner rifles available? Since I'm jumping in last minute, I would rather do whatever is easiest for the match directors.

6) Is it safe to assume that there will be fill tanks there at the match and that they will have the correct connection for a Marauder? I think the Foster fitting that comes on the Marauder is probably the most universally-used fitting, but want to make sure. I think Homeland Security has a low opinion of those sneaking 4500psi tanks in with checked bags so would be more convenient to not have to bring the tank.

Thanks for any info that anyone can provide. I need to get everything lined up quickly on this, so am hoping for quick answers. 8)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Southern Nationals Air Rifle Match Questions

Post by Innocent »

Jason,
Lets see what we can answer. Yes the flunkies will be running it again, Pat may have his hands full as all four of his children are coming. But we will work on that.
As for loaner rifles, we will work the match so that loaner rifles can be used, as this is a ( SATT) squadding at the time due to the number of walk ons as many people do not
know for sure what time they are arriving. I do not know if a Maurader fitting will be there, the tank will not be an issue, as I am sure of at least three tanks there if not more, so bring your fitting.
As for checks, that discussion is occurring right now as several others have tuned their rifles to varmit speeds, and I will not allow target damage to happen. Currently it appears that a chrono will be there for
that purpose.
I undersatnd Davids refusal to run qualifing matches in smallbore, if time allows I will do my best to accomodate new shooters and run qualifing air rifle matches, but that is going to be dependent on how many relays I have to run for the actual matches....ie based on the number of entries.

I will add that I have ordered some very special awards for backups to the number of shooters I have entered. Typically we have far more walk on registrations, and there are not enough awards due to this....but a very special useful tool is being made for this Last Dance, to be awarded based on number of entries. So come on and enter even if you shoot in the master class, as you will probably want the lower place awards anyway.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

1. Bill and Mary are the official match peoples. I am merely hired help. I do what's they tell me.

2. Qualifying match on Wed TBA. We have always done it but if Ducky says no, we can't.

3. I need to re read the rules but I'm not sure the Marauder is a target gun. I don't have my book here, so I need to look at it when I get home. fps is not the qualifier for the class, though modification will disqualify a legal gun from the class.

4. loaners? we have depended on the generosity of the other competitors in the past. it is a distraction to them to loan an expensive gun like that to someone, and it really shows the class of people in this sport. I don't have the room to bring a bunch this year. I'm " forcing" my kids to share guns to cut down on weight. if you're tall, you might be able to shoot the Steyr LG100 behind a couple of them. sOmeone can share my TX 200 lefty with me, too.

5. I'll be bringing 2 tanks, but if everyone siphons off them, they'll be nothing left. or if someone leaves the valve open like they did at the state match one year........

I won't be able to open tech until Wednesday nite, but I'll be bringing a couple of chronies and a scale. I will be teching thursday morning. ill also bring control pellets. we will chronograph the target guns and weigh Sporters. if an open gun damages the targets, they will be disqualified. we haven't had any problem in the past with them shooting field target guns shooting 960 fps with 10.6 g pellets, so if you're under this, you should be fine.

pm me or call if you need anything else.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

1) Thanks :)

2) When will you know if there will be qualifying matches on Wednesday afternoon? Like I said, it's not a big deal to me either way as I shoot in master class in smallbore and am fine with that in air rifle. My one and only actual air rifle score of 43/60 from open class two years ago is a AAA score, I believe.

3) I don't believe that the Marauder is a target rifle, either, but there was discussion of it in this thread and I wanted to make sure. I am planning to shoot the Marauder in open class only for now. If a decision is made that turning it down to <600fps with 8gr pellets makes it qualify for target class, that will be a bonus. From the numbers you quoted, I won't even be close to target damage. My outdoor practice tune is 885 - 900fps with the 10.5gr Crosman Premier Heavies for about 35 shots from 2900psi down to 2400psi or so. Higher velocities didn't seem to shoot as well.

4) Thanks to a generous offer from another shooter on here, I'm now covered for sporter class. I'm 6'0" tall and skinny, so long length of pull is appreciated. Won't be choosy when it comes to others' generosity, though.

5) Any verdict on whether it's easier for those running the match for me to send in money/entry form this late or just bring it to the match with me?

6) I'll bring my fitting for a tank and my pump just in case. Those don't take up nearly as much space as the SCBA tank.

Thanks for the quick answers. See you all in less than two weeks now. :ymparty: :o)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Jason, it would be easier for me to know how many will be there sooner so sending or at least letting Robin know that you intend to enter will be a help.
I do plan on running qualifying matches, and I see that the program says 14:30 on Wed afternoon, obviously as close to that time as possible I will start that.

Mary

psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

just talked to Ducky, and we are cleared for qualifying matches on wednesday if Mary will run them.

the lg 100 is set up for the 2 tallest kids, they like a long lop. 14 1/2 I think. too long for me. only a 20x scope though.

looks like Mary answered the rest. lots of walk ins on the air rifle matches. we expect it and are prepared. anything else please ask.

looks like I'm stuck in Huntsville for the day. gate agent tried and nearly suceeded ripping the door off the jet. waiting for parts and some mechanics.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Well visit the guns stores Pat....there are some good ones in Huntsville.

Innocent

psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

stuck at the airport. I wish I could go shopping. oh yeah spent all my money on entry fees. you don't want to know what 5 guns times 5 people costs. good news all the bs is free :D
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Aw come on PS...you know you are rolling in the dough. Besides it never hurts to shop at Larry's and start to think about what your five rifles are worth!

Innocent

jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

If you spent all your money on entry fees you will have no money to lose to Mini Kitty this year...maybe you two can shoot for lollipops.. :lol:

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I always have money for my favorite charities. question is terms. let the negotiations begin.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

So, how many animals are you going to spot the little tyke on the 4 match aggregate (smallbore, leaving the air guns behind this time)...after all she is only 13 and very small for her age...kinda sickly too...and blonde.....and her gun is getting old, probably won't shoot minute of ram at the pigs...and I've been mean to her lately and broken her spirit....poor kid is probably having self esteem issues as we speak....maybe spot her 20 animals on the agg? :ar!

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jneihouse wrote:So, how many animals are you going to spot the little tyke on the 4 match aggregate (smallbore, leaving the air guns behind this time)...after all she is only 13 and very small for her age...kinda sickly too...and blonde.....and her gun is getting old, probably won't shoot minute of ram at the pigs...and I've been mean to her lately and broken her spirit....poor kid is probably having self esteem issues as we speak....maybe spot her 20 animals on the agg? :ar!

Kitty
John, That's not negotiations... thats a fleecing in the making =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

a few years ago that was a valid offer, however, I am sickly and getting old. I haven't been able to beat my own children at home or on the range. I was proclaimed Low Steiger at a match because I was the only one who didn't win anything. My kids don't even remark when they beat me anymore. Larry Engle and Bill Motl are the targets now. I have fallen from grace and are considered only because I am a combination pack mule/ATM/chauffeur .in my opinion it would be entirely fair for your darling protégée to spot me a paltry 25 animals. Even if I were to rally, I'm sure I would barely muster enough hits for my true B classification. As the youngest Master class shooter in history, surely the benevolent Mal could see her way clear to pity an old, fat, balding mule.........

humbly
p
hugh
B Poster
B Poster

Post by hugh »

Jeeez where are my hip waders?