575 fps

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

575 fps

Post by shooterer »

Will that velocity knock down rams? I would like to try the air rifle side of this sport (I shoot rimfire) and am thinking of scoping my FWB 602 and using that, but before I go through the process of getting elevated offset ring so I can access the loading gate I want to be sure the rifle will be adequate.

Other wise I would be forced in to buying a TX200 8)
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: 575 fps

Post by richard »

The answer is yes they will knock down rams, when you hit them. I started shooting target class many years ago with a Daisy gamo 126 and continued to shoot target class with a Walther LG an then an Anshultz 2002. Got grand slam in target class. It took a long time and rams where the last animal. 10 meter target rifles are a dream to shoot and lots of fun but rams can be tough to hit. If it's dead calm it does help. I always figured you were about even with everything else on turkeys and had an advantage on pigs and chickens. I think people tend to worry too much about the rams in air rifle and in high power. After all they are only 25% of the match and if you get everything else you got a 30 before even considering the rams! I have several friends that still shoot FWB 300s in silhouette and have lots of fun. I certainly would not pass up an opportunity to shoot air rifle silhouette no matter what class I had to shoot in.
Richard
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

The 602 would make a excellent air silhouette rifle. Do you already have the short loading gate installed? Just in case you aren't aware of them they do sell a short loading gate designed for people to scope their FWB rifles. Just wanted to mention this to you in case you were thinking you needed a mount to clear the high loading gates most shipped with for 10m shooting using peep sights. You will want the short gate before you try to mount a scope if you don't already have one. It will make life much easier for you :-bd

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Dee,
yes I know I will need the short gate cover, I included it in the cost of parts to scope this rifle. Adding up all the parts to achieve this just keeps climbing.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I have a 602 and it works great. You can cut the gate yourself, you don't need to buy a new one. If you do keep the left (or right) side full length, cut the top of it off and curl the left side out and make it into a lever to close the gate. You can cut a piece of aquarium tubing to fit on the top and give you a bit of purchase. If you get a Running Target model, the barrel shroud is grooved and you can mount a BKL 253 backwards on it for the scope mount. If not, you'll need a BKL spacer and a 253 mount for the scope, or a Fenton Sandlin special high mount.......If you want pics, email (not pm) me and I'll take some. I've used guns as slow as 465 fps to shoot silhouette (Diana 66) All will take rams IF you put the pellet in the animal. It's no more expensive to scope than any other airgun.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Thanks everyone for the information. What type of pellets have you been using at that distance? I shoot 10m and shorter and have always used flat nose target pellets. Are domed projectiles standard for that distance?

Below is a picture of a CZ Tau 200 Senior that I use for rimfire practice in my basement at 7 meters. I installed the BKL risers so that my fat fingers can load the pellets easier. :wink:

Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

The TAU's are some nice rifles for the money. As for pellets I use JSB 8.4gr Domes but some people I know have found better accuracy using the 7.3gr JSB Express pellets as well. You will want a dome headed pellet as the flatheads get squirrely out past 15 yards or so.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

All pellets from a target rifle get squirrelly past 15 yds! Lol
- Joe