Pre-charged silhouette gun

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Pre-charged silhouette gun

Post by malinois »

I like shooting the airgun silhouette but its getting hard to cock the thing anymore...I like the Anschultz 2025 FT but they discontinued it...so whats everyone using for a precharged these days.....
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Pre-charged silhouette gun

Post by Innocent »

A 2002.
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'm loving my ghetto Marauder. By ghetto, I mean as compared to the >$2k Anschutz, etc rifles on the line down at the Southern Nationals. With a couple easy/cheap parts changes and adjustment, the trigger is way better than should come on a $400 rifle and the accuracy was great as well. I talked it up during the match enough that a few people wanted to try my rifle out afterwards. I think that Jerry Tureau thought I was just BS'ing him until he shot it.

The reservoir is slightly smaller than some of the dedicated match rifles so there are fewer shots per charge (about 85 or 90 shots to keep fps < 15fps deviation over the entire string, I think). I'm also not a huge fan of the palm swell on the pistol grip due to the ambidextrous design. On the positive side, it is definitely great to turn it down to ~590fps with the 7.9gr Crosman CPEs for garage practice and then in ~15 seconds (power adjustment screw and scope elevation knob) turn it up to ~900fps with the 10.5gr Crosman CPEs for silhouette or pest control duty. Similarly, in the matches where the wind was crazy I loved the fact that I could switch from the single-shot adapter to the magazines to get shots off faster between gusts. Like some Anschutz 22lr magazines, some of the Marauder factory magazines take a couple minutes' tweaking to make them totally reliable. The tweaking is really just spinning a drill bit with your fingers in each hole to make sure the mold flashing is all removed and using a little Allen wrench to make sure the spring tension is correct. There's no trouble scoping it, or even any extra parts needed, and with the fully-shrouded barrels they are amazingly quiet.

I'm currently considering buying another one to cut down and put a rail in for my daughter to practice her position rifle shooting with. I just haven't made up my mind about how to mount the front sight. For less than the price of an Anschutz PCP, I can build her a complete custom rifle that's actually small enough to fit her and grow with her for a few years. By then, she'll be big enough to fit into the adjustment range of most target rifles and the custom can get handed down to her sister. :)
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

Air Arms S510 in .22.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Air Arms S400
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Walther LG Hunter for Open Class and Anschutz 8002 S2 for Target and TX200 of course. If you are only going to get one I would go with the Target rifle. The high power open class rifles are nice like laserbeams zipping compared to a Target but the target is the most demanding and really forces you to play the wind conditions.

The nice thing about the Sporter style PCPs like the S400 models is they are adjustable for power to improve shot count or can be zippy. The stock IMO is about as close to a Pharr RT/S as I have ever shot in a PCP rifle and I have shot a lot of them. If you are just looking for a practice rifle that will compete if wanted I would look into the S400.

As coincidence would have it I happen to have one for sale. :wink:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I had a AA400 with the standard 1712 type stock, and the thumbhole version. Really good rifles. For the quality I think they are a better value than the rimfire 1712 anschutz I guess they cost about half of a 1712. Really nice trigger that if setup right is better than the 1712 trigger. Accuracy is good, and the velocity is tunable with a outside knob. I had the 22 and 177, and preferred the 22.
Shot count per fill was low on the AAs, so I bought a 22 Daystate MK4. About double the shot count, a bit more accurate, and a trigger like a 54MSR. The MK4 is probably the best sporter style PCP going, but I think it was north of $2000 with the thumbhole stock. I also had a Daystate Airwolf, and it is the same platform of the MK4 but with the bigger air tube and heavier stock, it seemed to be more like the 54MSR. Again it was a 2000+ rifle, but it was the same type of rifle as the 54MSR.
I had two Steyr LG rifles, and they never held good for me. Shot count was really low. I would not buy another steyr.
I had a FX 400 Royale, and it was a decent rifle. It was picky about pellets and needed the barrel cleaned or it would shoot like a shotgun. Trigger was more sporter quality than match quality. I would not get another FX.
I have 2 match rifles for my indoor league. I never really use them for outdoor work but they are bizarre accurate at 10M. I have the Anschutz 9003 Precise, and the Walther LG400. Both are a dream, but the 177 speed is under 600FPS and the wind is pretty hard on the pellet flight. I also shot an Anschutz 2002CA for years and I also had the standard 9003 before getting the precise stock upgrade. All 4 models are fantastic, but I hold the Walther the best.
So that is my personal experience. So based on that, the AA400 in 22 is the best bang for the buck, and for an unlimited budget the Daystate models are near perfect.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Cool. thanks for the run down on the current airguns