Which air rifle similar to the Annie 1710/1712

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Which air rifle similar to the Annie 1710/1712

Post by Super Dave »

Hi,

I'm curious what QUALITY air rifles have a similar weight and feel to the Annie 1710/1712 for back yard practice.

I'm open to all types of power plants. Here's what I'd like...
- Quiet (neighbor friendly)
- .177 with medium / low power (25 yards max)
- High shot count if CO2 or PCP...don't like the idea of getting tanks filled often.
- Trouble free history (don't like to tinker or fix stuff)
- Popular on secondary market (something I could buy used and sell without taking a huge hit)
- No Chinese guns (I like their food, but won't buy another Chinese airgun)

Thanks,
Dave
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Which air rifle similar to the Annie 1710/1712

Post by Bob259 »

Air Arms S400 or newer S410, S500 or S510
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
hugh
B Poster
B Poster

Post by hugh »

Wait till he sees how much those pellet rifles cost. He won't be buying one to plink with.

You might try buying some Agilla Colibri ammo and use your 1712. It's a 20g bullet powered by just the primer at around 450fps. Super collibris are a little faster. I used to practice in the back with them at 10 meters. Better than a Gammo, IMHO. quiet too. People wouldn't believe me until they shot. Then they were looking for the suppressor.

hugh
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

Hey, thanks for the info on the rifle. Looks like a nice one.

The rifle range here in Honolulu is a 40 minute drive and to get a bench you have to show up 2 hours early during the week and 3 hours early on the weekend. In other words you should be there by 6AM on the weekends. So...that's where the air rifles come in.

I don't mind spending some cash on something nice to shoot at home.

Thanks,
Dave
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I have an S400 I want to get rid of but haven't posted for sale. Bought it new myself and never had any issues besides changing the breech o-ring now and then after is wears out. Takes all of 5 minutes. You can dial the power with the adjuster knob and shoot heavy pellets fast or lighter pellets slower for more shots per fill.

Let me know if you are interested. I am thinking $475 in a hard case plus shipping out the door. I would take it to Texas next month to sell at the match but we will already have 15 other rifles in the car :lol:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

Hi Dee,

I'll send you a private mail.

Thanks,
Dave
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Another vote for the S400, S410 or the more recent S500/510.

Great rifles, adjustable power. Fits all the requirements you mentioned above, shrouded barrel too to keep things quiet. Stock very similar to the 1712, only difference is that with the depth of the action the scope sits a little higher in the stock (makes the S410 even better offhand than the 1712's IMO).

That's a fair price. Enjoy it.
Boom........clang!
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I have a 1712 and a .22 Air Arms S510. I couldn't think of a better pair.
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

Cool, I'm going to buy Dee's once the hurricane passes his area and things are back to normal. Hope you guys are OK in Satsuma.

I use the tall BKL rings on my Anschutz Sporter. Should I get the tall ones for the Air Arms S400 also?

Thanks a lot.
Dave
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

I use medium sportsmatch mounts (just what I tend to use on air guns, not that PCP's need special mounts but I have multiple sets of sportsmatch) which are about perfect IMO. I think highs would be too much but if you have a set of each, play with them to see what works for you.

Reason I mention the height of the Air Arms vs the 1712, is really just that the whole action sits higher in the stock than the 1712 so by using mediums mounts you probably end up being pretty similar. You'll also note the cheek piece is quite different, and higher on the S400.

I made a quick pic to give you a quick comparison between the two. The size was just quickly scaled to try and compare, not precise but gives you the idea.

Boom........clang!
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

Wow, impressive photo shop skills. Nice work. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'll stick with the BKL Med rings since I have some on hand. I appreciate the help.
Dave
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

The S400 stock comb and belly is closer to mimic the Pharr stocks I have than anything else. I am sure the overlap with a Pharr stock would show near the same sizes. Put that one in photoshop if you can as well :D

Hurricane FINALLY passed. Unfortunately it moved just slow enough and dropped so much rain I ended up with some water in the house. Nothing like your seeing on TV thankfully but enough to do some damage and my shop took a good 8" of water in it. All guns are back in the safe and just fine. Except for the S400 I forget it one on the floor in the shop. Just kidding.. But it will be a few days late being sent. My power just came back after over 3 days without and at one point I was surviving using my smart phone for radar and generator for lights, AC and radio. Insurance guy is coming out. Glad I have a good plan just hope the damaged isn't in the walls enough to need anything. I have about 100000 CFM of fans moving air and ACs running. Sucks but that's the price you have to pay to live someplace like I do. Shooting Range fee's are cheap though and there is never any waiting ;) Think this year I will have to pluck a few deer from the back woods as well to make up some expenses from the storm.

I'll email you soon Dave.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

Right on Dee.

Glad you are OK. Sorry to hear about the water damage. That sucks.

You must have been hot while the electricity was out...especially miserable at night when trying to sleep.

You got me good on the S400 :))

Take care, good luck with the clean up.
Dave
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

I'll see if I can get the time to photoshop some more pics.

While I haven't held a Pharr or even seen a Pharr in person, I would probably agree the S400 more closely represents the Pharr.

And just for more info, the S400 is the best offhand sporter stock I've shot. I've given consideration to getting a copy of it made for my rimfire. Guess that is why the Pharrs are so popular.
Boom........clang!
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

Got the rifle and it's really nice and top quality. Great suggestion.

Dee was awesome to deal with and the rifle is in mint condition.

Thanks SteelChickens and Dee.

Dave