Suggestions Please

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
North of 60
B Poster
B Poster

Suggestions Please

Post by North of 60 »

Hi all;
I live in Northern Canada (above the arctic circle), so my outdoor shooting season is pretty darn short.
I want to be able to keep at least some of my SB rifle and pistol skills tuned up over the way too long winter, so was thinking an air rifle and air pistol would be a good idea.
I have a place in my basement where I can just get the 10 m distance, with a very little bit of room to move around.
I currently shoot SB rifle and pistol, using a savage MkII for rifle and Browning Buckmark Hunter for pistol.
.22 pellets, from what I have seen, are almost impossible to get around here, but .177 seem to be available.
So - my dilemna that I need help with is "what rifle, what pistol?".
I don't want anything too powerful - just in case I get wild shots and end up damaging the wall, but something that is close in weight and size to the two firearms above would be, I think, ideal.

So - can anyone offer suggestions for air guns available in Canada (even if I have to mail order them)?

Thanks for your help.

Chris in Inuvik, NT, Canada - where we have 3 months of summer and 9 months of "holy crap it's cold out".
Sometimes, your "knight in shining armour" is just a retard in tinfoil.
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Suggestions Please

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I use an Air Arms 510 rifle and an IZH 46M pistol. The power on the AA rifle is easily adjustable with one knob.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I'd second those suggestions -- maybe an AA S500 (single shot) rather than the repeater (S510). Either way, the two together are a cost effective solution for indoor training.
North of 60
B Poster
B Poster

Post by North of 60 »

Just looked at the prices for the suggested guns.
OUCH
Can you suggest anything I will be able to get in the house without having to buy my wife a diamond?
Just looking for the basics, and at a basics type price.

Maybe it is just the Canadian versions that are expensive??

Chris in Inuvik
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Daisy 727 or 747 for pistol.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
cjsimmons
Unclassified Poster

Post by cjsimmons »

Diamonds must be cheaper in Canada.

How picky are you about the shape of the stock.

How big is ten meter Olympic style air rifle in Canada. You might be able to finda club selling older rifles to buy new rifles.

The older spring powered ten meter rifles, while not cheap, are solid built and shoot better than most people. For jst target practice shooting it is hard to beat a FWB300. Easy to scope and shoots great.
North of 60
B Poster
B Poster

Post by North of 60 »

cjsimmons wrote:Diamonds must be cheaper in Canada.

How picky are you about the shape of the stock.

How big is ten meter Olympic style air rifle in Canada. You might be able to finda club selling older rifles to buy new rifles.

The older spring powered ten meter rifles, while not cheap, are solid built and shoot better than most people. For jst target practice shooting it is hard to beat a FWB300. Easy to scope and shoots great.
I have a diamond mine just a few hundred kilometers from my house. I don't know if that makes them cheaper, but they come with a really cute polar bear engraved on them.

Doesn't really matter about stock - I am just trying to reasonably replicate the .22 Savage I shoot during the week and a half of warm weather. So approximate length, weight and probably trigger pull is more important than other factors.

Thanks for the suggestion on checking out clubs. I am headed to Yellowknife this weekend for the Territorial shoot (similar to provincial or state shoots), and will check with them about their old guns. Great idea!

Chris in Inuvik, NT, Canada --- check out my shooting blog at http://www.towsa.org/wp
Super Dave
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Super Dave »

Wow Chris. I checked out your home town and you got to be tough to live there. Man, that is the out back. If I ever get up there I'll be sure to stay at the Polar Bed and Breakfast.

What are those blue metal bins in everybodys front yard?

Yea, get you a some cool air guns before it gets too cold.

Good luck,
Dave
North of 60
B Poster
B Poster

Post by North of 60 »

Super Dave wrote:Wow Chris. I checked out your home town and you got to be tough to live there. Man, that is the out back. If I ever get up there I'll be sure to stay at the Polar Bed and Breakfast.

What are those blue metal bins in everybodys front yard?

Yea, get you a some cool air guns before it gets too cold.

Good luck,
Dave
The blue metal bins (and various size / colour / shape wood boxes) are the garbage boxes.
We used to have regular dumpsters, but the Ravens got into them and spread stuff around all over the place.
Polar Bed & Breakfast is a nice place, but is starting to look a little rundown.
Arctic Chalet is a nice place, but just a little bit out of town.
The hotels are great, but expensive. No $29 a night motel 6 up here!!!

If anybody does happen to make the trek to this sometimes god forsaken place, feel free to ask around and give me a call. Just ask for the guy that does the gun courses - we're a small town so everybody knows everybody (and all their business). I am sure we could find a cardboard box and an air mattress for ya.

Chris in Inuvik --->Where we have just started mud season2. Oh joy.
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fwt1712 »

A good quality spring gun like a Weihrauch or Diana would be good. You don't need one of their more powerful models since you're indoors, this will make them easier to shoot with less recoil and less cocking effort. They will also be able to 'one hole' at 10m (and more) so you will get good feedback on how you are going.