Need some help

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Need some help

Post by jloehle »

I shoot smallbore silhouette. It is the only local matches there are, which is fine by me for now. I enjoy shooting it.

I cannot get out to the range as much as I would like. I have been thinking about getting an air rifle to practice with at home. I picked up a Daisy 853 from the CMP (not here yet) with the Monte Carlo style stock. I am trying to figure out my scope situation for it.

I am not interested in setting up a competition air rifle for shooting air rifle silhouette. We don't have that locally. I am just interested in setting something up that is similar to my smallbore rig. I have a CZ 452 Varmint in a custom stock by Wayne Merrier (Pharr style). I have a Sightron Big Sky 6-24x42 scope with BKL scope rings and BKL risers.

For my air rifle, I would like to set something up that is a slightly scaled down version of this. I will mostly be shooting at 20 and 30 yards as that is the distance I can get at home. I do not want to spend a lot of money on this new scope. I only paid $100 for the rifle. Would like to keep the scope for it about the same.

I have looked at some of the Barska Varmint scopes. I think I would need a front objective that is about the same (42) as my sightron in order to have the scope sit about the same height in similar or same scope rings?? I have heard people mention the Barska with the 50mm objective, but not sure it would fit. Having a similar Target Dot reticle is very important.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Any links to scopes is helpful.

Joe
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Need some help

Post by ppkny »

Joe, Are you sure the Barska model you're looking at is air gun rated? It makes a big difference.
ppkny
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jloehle »

No. I am not.

I don;t know much about air rifles. Didn't know they needed special scopes. Can you explain to me why they do?

Joe
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jloehle wrote:No. I am not.

I don;t know much about air rifles. Didn't know they needed special scopes. Can you explain to me why they do?

Joe
Springer air guns you get recoil, or forces, in both directions as the spring releases it's energy. Air gun rated scopes the lens are secured for both the forward and backward forces they encounter. Look at some air gun sites for some good choices on scopes.

Here are some places to look:
http://www.straightshooters.com/heavy-r ... copes.html
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories ... 2F1E.app02

You can get a cheaper scope and it may last you years, or months, depends on the scope. I know lots of folks using the Hawke and Leapers with good results. Like anything and especially with optics, you get what you pay for.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jloehle »

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

Can someone point to a particular scope that might meet my needs? I have been looking at so many I am going blind. :)

Not many of the air rifle scopes tend to have Target Dots.

Which of the Hawke and Leapers scopes would you recommend... or any other brand.

Joe
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

For that rifle you will be fine with any scope. It is a SSP which does not exhibit the same forces as a spring airgun which is the only one you need to worry about being a scope eater. There is no recoil from a SSP.

I have a Barska 6.5-20x by 50mm with the Dot I just gave to a friend to try on a FWB 300 so we will find out if it can handle a springer soon :lol:

As for the brand and scopes they are ok for what they are and many are hit or miss but it did hold up to me dialing the hell out of it from 20 yards to 45 and back for a couple of years on a SSP rifle I had. The dot wouldn't hold zero when switching mag power but I left it at 20x anyway. It will just barely focus down to 20 yards too. I think I paid $45 for it so I got my money worth. The glass in them is fairly clear but I am spoiled these days with Elites and Leupolds.

I would say if you plan to use it for a fixed distance to practice it will be ok and should hold zero. I think I got lucky that mine repeated half decently and didn't go south with the use it saw.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!