PCP question

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

PCP question

Post by chuck d »

Just picked up a Marauder today. Looking at the air tank- is the only way to go-

1. buy the hand pump

2. $400+ for an air tank?

Thanks
chuck
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: PCP question

Post by Bob259 »

chuck d wrote:Just picked up a Marauder today. Looking at the air tank- is the only way to go-

1. buy the hand pump

2. $400+ for an air tank?

Thanks
chuck
You can get a used Scuba tank for less then $175. Go that way then get a carbon fiber.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Go straight for the carbon fiber, no sense wasting half the price of a carbon fiber tank on the used scuba tank. The scuba tanks can't hold nearly as much pressure as the carbon fiber tanks, most only holding about the 3000psi that the Marauder itself can. That means that from the very first fill, the tank is not going to be able to fill the Marauder all the way back up to max.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Jason wrote:Go straight for the carbon fiber, no sense wasting half the price of a carbon fiber tank on the used scuba tank. The scuba tanks can't hold nearly as much pressure as the carbon fiber tanks, most only holding about the 3000psi that the Marauder itself can. That means that from the very first fill, the tank is not going to be able to fill the Marauder all the way back up to max.
That.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

+1 on the CF tank. They will usually hold 4500 psi and will fill your air gun tank many more times than a scuba tank. One caveat though. Make sure there is a facility in your area that is capable of filling your CF tank to 4500 psi before you buy one.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

Thanks guys-
when I purcahsed the gun, they pointed me to a sucba yoke fill valve. Looks like if I go CF (best) route, this is a piece I don't Need?
Also best place to buy one?

thanks
chuck
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I bought mine here. I have the "Great White" version with a few accessories. You might find one cheaper somewhere else, but Joe's quality is top notch.

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Oklahoma Jim wrote:I bought mine here. I have the "Great White" version with a few accessories. You might find one cheaper somewhere else, but Joe's quality is top notch.

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/
I second Joe's quality :-bd , if you can go the CF route right away he's the go to guy and get a long (3') wip hose as it makes it easier to fill your cylinderon the rifle.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I'll third Joe :lol: He will get you setup. Cry once and get the 4500 PSI tank and then you have all the air you need for all the other PCP rifles you will want to buy eventually too! The beauty of the tank is that it fills ANY rifle :D

Beware that if you tread to deeply into the PCP Darkside there are rifles with triggers and stocks out there that will come calling your name. Then the MRod becomes a closet queen or sold all together.

Enjoy your new rifle and look into the mods out there for it that can improve it a lot from stock. Jason had a good write up on one he did.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I would also recommend a 4500 psi tank. Before you buy, you should find a place that refills to 4500. Check fire safety vendors, fire halls, and scuba shops. Before I bought a Bauer compressor I had mine filled at the scuba club at the local university. Unlimited fills for 25 bucks a year.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Chuck d, I bought a Maurader last year, very happy with it. I picked up a used scuba tank on Craig's List for $45 and got it inspected and filled for $45 for a total of $90. Just make sure the tank is not near its end of life date. The carbon fiber tanks I think have a much shorter life span. I don't know exactly but someone could tell you.
You might want to change out the trigger blade to a more conventional curved style. There's a guy in CA that makes them for $45.00. It's a easy install. I attached pictures. Just remove the 4 screws, take off the plate (nothing pops out at you) and put the new trigger blade in.
ppkny
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

Thanks everyone-
I sprung for one of Joes CF tanks. Although $$ seemed like buying a Leupold. Other choices, but the best.

ppkny- can you provide info on trigger blade? That is exactly what I was thinking as I play with the set up.

Thanks
chuck
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

chuck d, Send me a pm and I'll get the info to you.
ppkny