What to look for

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
reelangler
B Poster
B Poster

What to look for

Post by reelangler »

If a guy was to buy a air gun to start shooting this sport what are the important things to look for in a gun? I assume PCP over break bbl but .177 or .22? Then what features?

Thx
Dan
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Re: What to look for

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

You might look at Air Arms PCP's. I think they are great rifles and about the best value for the money. Mine is a .22 510SL in a 410 walnut stock.
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jdp »

First you have set your budget. No matter what spend your money on good glass.
John Peterson
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I shoot an Air Arms S-510. With a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR scope, it weighs within a few ounces of my silhouette rifle, with comparable balance (barrel heavy). Trigger weight is also similar, although the AA first stage is l..o..n..g.. So as a practice rifle for smallbore silhouette, it is a good trainer. I also use it for Field Target using JSB Exact Heavy pellets...
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

You may get many answers and everyone has an opinion and I have mine. The most important thing is that the rifle must be accurate enough to hit the silhouettes. PCPs are easier to get shooting well but I and friends have shot springers with great success. Also don't forget that there are three classes in ar silhouette. Most people shoot .177 cal. but .20 and .22 will work. Springer rifles that are good are R-9, HW 77/97, AA TX200, and AA prop sport. There are others but they are the best. Most of the PCPs shoot well. The other thing to consider is what else you what to do with the rifle. If you want to hunt, shoot 10 meter, or shoot field target for example. You can find a rifle that is good for generally two disciplines but not all.
I shoot an Anshutz 8002 for 10 meter and it will work in target class silhouette but it will not work for field target. I have an old AA pro target that is great for field target and silhouette but not good for 10 meters. I have an AA pro sport which works for silhouette and FT but not 10 meter. The last two could be used for pest control but they are not the best for that.
Scopes are another subject but most shoot 20X or above for silhouette and FT.
Go to some matches or shows and check out everybody elses stuff.
Good luck!
Richard
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

reelangler,

I would say try certain models if you can, before you buy. I have both PCP and springers. If you go the PCP route, you have to include the price of a tank and hoses (eg. carbon fiber tanks run ~ $600 and then add ~$100 for hoses and attachments. Metal tanks (steel, alum) run $200+). That cost is rarely factored in.

You live in MD, may I suggest you visit a Field Target club in Damascus MD. If you search (use Bing or duckduckgo.com) Yellow Forum, locate their Field Target (ie 'FT') site. They hold matches about every month when the weather is good.

I'm outside Richmond, VA and if you visit our club for SB Silh, I'd be glad to bring an array of airrifles for you to try out. You could shoot SB Silh and try out airrifles the same day. How much better can it get? Search for Cavalier R&PC for our SIlh matches (3rd Sat).
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Attend a match if possible. The most common gun will be the AA TX 200.
There is a reason for that.

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

cedestech wrote:Attend a match if possible. The most common gun will be the AA TX 200.
There is a reason for that.

;)
AA makes a nice rifle. PCP is great but pretty expensive with tanks etc. I would try the AA TX200 first then "upgrade" to a PCP when you shot for a year or two.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

ter wrote: AA makes a nice rifle. PCP is great but pretty expensive with tanks etc. I would try the AA TX200 first then "upgrade" to a PCP when you shot for a year or two.
I agree with that except there is no need to "upgrade" from a TX200. Get a TX200 now, shoot it for a year or two, then get a PCP target gun and keep the TX200 for sporter class.

Dustin
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I've decided to participate in air rifle silhouette if I can..... I have a very experienced, but still sweet-shooting, springer RWS Model 75 which would be suitable for the Match Rifle class, and I may have access to one of these for the sporter class:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS ... /403#sSpec

Has anyone had any experience with this model for silhouette, in .22?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

22 cal air rifle you have to be careful with. I believe you'll need to get it detuned below a certain ft.lb level to be legal. They tear up the targets....

I believe getting them low enough to pass accuraccy is a issue.... others more knowledgeable can chime in shortly.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

The 48, 52 AND 54 all use the same power plant. They can be made quite accurate but are heavy and especially if you buy new you are in the relm of a clean used TX200 price wise.
scorlett
B Poster
B Poster

Post by scorlett »

I'm going to chime in here (after 7 years) and agree that there is no comparison between the RWS 48/52 and a TX200. The RWS is an interesting and powerful air rifle, but not quite in the same category. There are 3 sporter air rifles that excel, the Air Arms TX200 and Pro Sport, and the HW97. All of these springers are pretty heavy which helps dampen the crazy motions a spring air rifle goes through between the time the trigger breaks and the pellet leaves the barrel. I have shot several others (still own a few), and while they are fun and interesting, I can't shoot them worth a darn, they just jump faster than I can jerk! In the past I was able to shoot the TX200. (relatively speaking of course. LOL)

The RWS 75 was a great design, it should shoot well and can be maintained forever. Shoot it in both the target and open class and have a blast. In reality, if it's a stretch to come up with a really nice sporter, just leave it alone and borrow one at a match if you feel the need to shoot. You're probably going to be better off practicing for smallbore, etc. with the target gun. It's much closer to dry firing. I like shooting the sporter class and think it's a lot of fun, and it probably will make you a better shooter if you're disciplined enough to learn how to do it well, but it is a different animal.

Remember, I haven't done squat in the last 7 years, so this opinion is probably not worth the time it took you to read it! Have fun anyway!
Sam
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Yes the setup for PCP with the tank seems a bit pricey at first. But consider a 88CF 4500 PSI tank and a target PCP rifle will provide you with over 15000+ shots before needing to be refilled/topped off and the cost per shot compared to shooting a .22LR using even cheap CC SV much less SK+ or higher end ammo is almost like shooting for free. Plus once you get a tank you can use it to fill every other PCP rifle you may buy in the future. With SK+ running around $500 for 5000 rounds these days pellets are a much cheaper alternative for practicing and allow you to shoot pretty much anyplace including inside the house. A tank refill will cost between $5-10 at most places and you might even get the local FD to fill it for you for free. $5-10 for air for 15,000 shots is cheap as shooting as it gets. Pellets from Pyramid Air are buy 3 get 1 free so 3 sleeves of 5000 pellets each for 15000 pellets will only cost you around $200 and orders over $150 ship free. Total cost to shoot is then is only around $210 per 15000 shots, SK+ would cost you $1500 for the same amount of trigger time not to mention travel costs to a range to shoot etc.

There is no better rifle for practicing than a 10m air rifle IMO. If you can shoot it well you can shoot any rifle well. Plus you can use it for both Open and Target Class.

The cheapest way and best intro would be the TX200 no tanks and only pellets as expense to get going.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!