Lead issues

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Lead issues

Post by Hawk-1 »

How safe is it to shoot air rifle inside a house. Is there vapor from the shot or is it more on ones fingers that would be a problem ? I know slot of matches are shot indoors, are there flirtation sys tems there ? I have never seen a match. Thanks
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Lead issues

Post by topclass »

I shoot 10M indoors (garage) at home. I have been told that since match rifles are subsonic, there is not an issue with lead vapors in the air. Our local indoor range hosts a number of air rifle events (3P, benchrest, field target) and concerns of lead in the air have never been raised as an issue.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I shoot inside all the time. I read an article once about lead dust etc but I forget what it said =)) Really though I don't think it poses any more threat than handling most items from China might regarding lead.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Hawk-1 wrote: I know slot of matches are shot indoors, are there flirtation sys tems there ?
Dee,

Is there a flirtation system inside your house? I need to know because if there is, I'm never going over there again.

Dustin
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

Nothing is safe, but studies say air gun pellets are very safe. Lead dust in the air seems to be a minimum concern, the largest concern is ingestion through contact. So wash your hands after shooting, and that will remedy the largest problem. I use RWS R10 pellets and they are very clean. Crossman pellets seem to have a lot of dust. Some guys wash dirty brand pellets to avoid gumming up the rifles, and I guess it would be cleaner to shoot indoors. I just use RWS indoors, and wash my hands. Here is a study that states pellets are OK for indoors.
http://www.pilkguns.com/LeadMgtGuide.pdf
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I think most lead poisoning happens through subcutaneous injection... usually administered by mad fathers, boyfreinds or husbands..... :mrgreen:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Not to mention I can't tell you how many coonasses I saw as a kid that carried their reloading pellets IN THEIR MOUTHS like chicklets!

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Dee wrote:Not to mention I can't tell you how many coonasses I saw as a kid that carried their reloading pellets IN THEIR MOUTHS like chicklets!

That would be me when I was 14 years old and did not know lead was poison.

Dee
weemurr
Unclassified Poster

Post by weemurr »

I think the most likely danger of lead dust with air rifles would be from the the pellet trap, if you were useing a steel one, and the target line, and the danger would be from dust you distrub and breath in when sweeping the floor or emptying the trap.
Al
weemurr
Unclassified Poster

Post by weemurr »

PS. You should use a mop or wet vacuum to clean up.
Al
Szumi
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Szumi »

If you are really worried about lead dust, make a trap using duct seal. I'm pretty sure the lead styphanate I breath from shooting rimfire out doors is considerably more lead that you will get out of a steel angled plate trap.

I'm also a bullet caster. I am very sure lead will not end my life prematurely unless someone shoots me.

I haven't any seen studies of gun enthusiasts dying off early from lead exposure. If someone has a link or three, please post.

Szumi
HPSilhouettes
B Poster
B Poster

Post by HPSilhouettes »

I work and have worked in a lead acid battery factory for the past 25+ years. I also smelt wheel weights on occasion. It is an OSHA requirement that I have my blood tested every 3 months. OSHA doesn't get too alarmed until your blood lead gets to about 20 micrograms per 100 grams of blood. My blood count stays in the 3 to 5 microgram range. Wash your hands after handling pellets and everything will be ok. Smoking or eating while handling lead is not advisable. OSHA also doesn't get too alarmed if the lead in air is below 50 micrograms per cubic meter; anything above 50 and we get to wear half mask respirators. Shoot indoors with confidence, just don't lick the targets afterwards... :shock:
Tpatner412
Unclassified Poster

Post by Tpatner412 »

I had always been told that as long as you are not licking the lead dust off your fingers or swallowing pellets you would be fine. I'm sure I've accidentally ingested my fair share of lead.

But....I do know a bunch of good ole' boys that carry there pellets around hidden in their gums.....definitely don't recommend that practice LOL

Tyler
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

My brother-in-law swallowed a .22 bullet once - said came out real shiney. He's still not right, but that may other factors.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."