How to shoot (practice) rifle silhouette for nothing......

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

How to shoot (practice) rifle silhouette for nothing......

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I live 135 miles away from the nearest rifle silhouette range; I have a set of swingers, but the wind in my home town blows (famously!) 30 mph @ 200 days a year; my local indoor range is cold, bleak, and unwelcoming on non-league nights; and the cost and (un)availability of ammunition almost precludes the use of real ammo with which to practice. I have to save my powder ammo for matches. So....enter the airgun! I have 42' at home, a seemingly inexhaustible suppy of wadcutter pellets at the local Bi-Mart (at $8 per 500), and a sweet old RWS Model 75 with a BSA 4X12, which experts assure me will last nearly forever if I care for it. I'm so cheap, I even make my own targets with a Bingo dotter and some day-old newspaper print! After awhile, you pay no attention to the words on the newsprint, and find yourself concentrating furiously on that damned dot. I think it's doing me some good; and I hear that some of the greats, Tubbs and Imas among others, often practice with an airgun. I also dry-fire with my 1710 on some cut-out silhouette metallicas scaled to range and taped on my mailbox! The neighbors can't see in the living room window I dri-fire through, and I don't go out of my way to tell them what I'm doing....let them wonder about the cut-outs! I average about 100 trigger breaks a day.

What do you think about this routine? Suggested changes?

"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Re: How to shoot (practice) rifle silhouette for nothing....

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I don't want to start a big debate, but I hope you are using a spent shell or some other "snap cap" when you dry fire your .22. I sometimes use dry wall anchors instead of a spent shell.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Oklahoma Jim wrote:I don't want to start a big debate, but I hope you are using a spent shell or some other "snap cap" when you dry fire your .22. I sometimes use dry wall anchors instead of a spent shell.
Yup, I save all my brass during the winter indoor league, and use them when dri-firing, changing every five snaps....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

Good to hear. We have a weekly air gun silhoutte match at our club. It's indoor and only 10 meters, but it's fun and keeps us somewhat in shooting shape.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Oklahoma Jim wrote:Good to hear. We have a weekly air gun silhoutte match at our club. It's indoor and only 10 meters, but it's fun and keeps us somewhat in shooting shape.
What do you use for targets?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

OnaginOffagin wrote:
Oklahoma Jim wrote:Good to hear. We have a weekly air gun silhoutte match at our club. It's indoor and only 10 meters, but it's fun and keeps us somewhat in shooting shape.
What do you use for targets?

http://www.citlink.net/~schattler/target_09.pdf
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

We use the standard air gun size silhouettes, but we only use them at 10 meters.