air rifle matches around Lake Charles LA

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
claytondoucet
Unclassified Poster

air rifle matches around Lake Charles LA

Post by claytondoucet »

Hi, I'm a new guy around this scene and I'm very very much eager to jump in with both feet but I have a couple questions. First off, does anyone know of any matches near Lake Charles LA, or know the matches cloest to it? I also have some rifle questions, but tht can wait a lil bit bein as I already have one rifle to shoot in the rarget division. Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: air rifle matches around Lake Charles LA

Post by Dee »

Hi and welcome to the forum.. I am not aware of any matches for air rifle silhouette in the Lake Charles area. You are however located between several opportunities. We shoot almost monthly in Baton Rouge and I know another shooter that hosts air rifle matches in the Beaumont area as well as the matches they have in Houston. That is going to be the closest places for you to make a match. Either direction will be about the same trip distance for you.

I will try to get Gabby's contact information for you since Beaumont would be closest IMO. But you are more than welcome to come join us sometime. 2nd Sat each month but get with me for contact info to be able to make sure we didn't decide to shoot High Power instead :)

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
RaginCajun
Unclassified Poster

Post by RaginCajun »

I'm going to jump in here too as I'm new here as well. I'm in the Gonzales, La area, and new to this sport (so new I don't have an air rifle yet).
Dee where do you guys shoot matches?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Yes, welcome! You should come shoot with us in Baton Rouge! You can also come shoot Smallbore with us and see Dee shoot a 38/40 in Open Air Rifle then a 17/40 at the smallbore state championship 3 days later =))

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

RaginCajun wrote:I'm going to jump in here too as I'm new here as well. I'm in the Gonzales, La area, and new to this sport (so new I don't have an air rifle yet).
We shoot air rifle silhouette at the BREC airgun range at the State Fairgrounds on Airline Hwy just South of Highland Road. Airguns are the second Saturday of most months and every Wednesday evening. We also shoot smallbore silhouette at the Ascension Parish Sheriffs range in Gonzales on the 4th Saturday of the month. The range is across the street from Lamar Dixon.

Dustin
RaginCajun
Unclassified Poster

Post by RaginCajun »

dustinflint wrote:
RaginCajun wrote:I'm going to jump in here too as I'm new here as well. I'm in the Gonzales, La area, and new to this sport (so new I don't have an air rifle yet).
We shoot air rifle silhouette at the BREC airgun range at the State Fairgrounds on Airline Hwy just South of Highland Road. Airguns are the second Saturday of most months and every Wednesday evening. We also shoot smallbore silhouette at the Ascension Parish Sheriffs range in Gonzales on the 4th Saturday of the month. The range is across the street from Lamar Dixon.

Dustin
I'm going to go out there this Saturday to check out the Field Target guys and see what that's all about. Like I said, I"m completely new to the sport so just trying to look and learn. I definitely would like to come out next Saturday and check you guys out was well. Maybe a dumb newbie question but for starters, is there a rifle/scope combination I can use to play in both those events? I've read some about the FT stuff to know the TX200 is quite popular and definitely need a ranging scope, any of that apply to silhouettes or completely different gun setup needed?

I recently picked up a Savage bolt .22, I need a scope for it and then I can come out for .22 stuff, as long as you guys don't laugh too loud at an old guy who's a bad shot! :)) What scopes are popular for the .22 side of things for silhouette?

Scott
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Scott,

I wrote a dissertation on scopes last night. There is lots of good info on that thread from very knowledgable shooters. See it here: http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... 0&start=15

A TX200 with a Bushnell Elite will work for field target and will cover you in sporter and open air rifle silhouette. In fact, probably 85%-90% of silhouette shooters use a TX200 in Sporter air rifle and the Sporter national Championship was won this year with a TX200 with a Bushnell Elite scope.

Please come out to some smallbore matches, too. If you think you are a bad shot now, you'll be a great shot after about 6 months of silhouette shooting. Even the lower-class silhouette shooters are among the best marksmen in the world. We have a good group of guys at both the air rifle and the smallbore silhouette matches.

I'm considering going out to the air rifle range for a little while today.

Dustin