Air Rifle sil. pellets & BBs? (legal, not, target damage)

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

Air Rifle sil. pellets & BBs? (legal, not, target damage)

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

so in order to curb some of the ammo madness going on i purchased an airrifle, nothing fancy a breakbarrel and have found it a very useful tool for practice, and addictive in it's own right.

so since i run a smallbore match, and found that many of the others utilize air rifles too, i figured why not hold sanctioned silhouette matches too?

so far i've got 10 animal each set 1/8" thick and going to have unsanctioned "fun" matches for the remainder of the smallbore season, with the intent of having a sanctioned air rifle match next year (with more sets purchased) before the smallbore.

i don't know if i missed it or not, but is there a rule on the pellet used? is there anything against using BBs, (as i'm sure someone is going to show up with them)?

i'd like to set a range rule to not allow PBA, alloy, or BBs as i fear they may tear up targets and stands too much (especially through the magnum springers) and restrict pellets to lead only.

do PBA, alloy, BBs, or even the copper pellets damage targets with higher powered air rifles?

thanks for any info / advice
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Air Rifle sil. pellets & BBs? (legal, not, target damage

Post by Merlin »

Don't know about being legal but they sure as hell can/will bounce back and hit you in the eye.... No "splat" just rebound off of the steel targets....
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

yeah i was thinking of that too.

besides the "adults" i'd like to use the AR matches as a vehicle to get kids into it too, i was a bit concerned if they only had BB guns to give it a try that BBs or PBAs may be a problem for targets AND shooters.
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Walt,
We saw the high powered Field Target rifles and those in .22 cal did considerable target damage. Agree that BB's are to dangerous for bouncing back at the shooters. See if the club would buy you a few lower cost pellet rifles for kids to use.
Bob
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I thought everyone had a air rifle and small bore silhouette range built into their yard.... (I'd go crazy if I lived in a traditional subdivision...)

:))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

cedestech wrote:I thought everyone had a air rifle and small bore silhouette range built into their yard.... (I'd go crazy if I lived in a traditional subdivision...)

Amen to that! :D I have the range but also have lots oh trees. Managed to get a clear line of sight out to fifty yards. Bough a set of 1/5 scale critters, scaled down in size to shoot at forty meters. Nice. Saves gas to and from range (by more ammo). Shoot from carport, targets are swingers. Better that way, don't have to fight the chiggers. Will eventually enclose with steel to reclaim lead. Also might add taking donations to complete, purchase steel and other needed items. MO or Cash preferably. :D
Not to belittle anyone, I feel very fortunate to be able to have this.
Stay Safe
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

High Speed wrote:
cedestech wrote:I thought everyone had a air rifle and small bore silhouette range built into their yard.... (I'd go crazy if I lived in a traditional subdivision...)

Amen to that! :D I have the range but also have lots oh trees. Managed to get a clear line of sight out to fifty yards. Bough a set of 1/5 scale critters, scaled down in size to shoot at forty meters. Nice. Saves gas to and from range (by more ammo). Shoot from carport, targets are swingers. Better that way, don't have to fight the chiggers. Will eventually enclose with steel to reclaim lead. Also might add taking donations to complete, purchase steel and other needed items. MO or Cash preferably. :D
Not to belittle anyone, I feel very fortunate to be able to have this.
Stay Safe
Mark

:-bd

I have 200 yards cleared out into the woods for small bore prone.... ;)

Was shooting the small bore chickens and pigs yesterday with my air rifle. Pigs are fun because you have to hit them on the back to get them to fall.

=))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?