Anything new out there better than TX200 or HW97?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Anything new out there better than TX200 or HW97?

Post by durant7 »

I have been away from Air Rifle Silhouette for a number of years. I tried to get it off the ground in NH but folks looked at me a bit cross-eyed when I told them that you put a $500 Leupold on top of a $600 TX200. Still, with 22LR ammo becoming such an PITA, I might have another run at Air to see if there are any takers.

8 years ago, after the short lived Walther PCP/Sporter debacle, here was my general recommendation for people looking to get started in Air Silhouette.

Start with a Sporter. Why? Because you can shoot it for Sporter and Open and are in general easier to scope than the collection of 10m target rifles available. If the bug bites, pick up a Target gun and based on conditions, your mood, use either the Target or the Sporter in open. And then, if you get really silly, pick up an open gun.

As to what "Sporter Class" gun to get? My view, you get what you pay for. Find a TX200 MKIII (non carbine) or a HW97. I have shot both and it really seems to be a Ford vs. Chevy debate. It ain't the gun, it is the jerk behind the trigger! Both of these guns a great tools for the sport. I found the "fit and finish" to be a bit higher on the TX200 but that is not an important consideration when trying to hit your 10th turkey.

QUESTION. Has anyone introduced a better alternative to the TX200 or HW97? Having been away for so long I figure there may be some new tools out there. Are there any issues as to "era" of either gun? Meaning, has there been a fall off in quality suggesting one find an "earlier" version or has quality been held constant?

Thanks

Jud
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Anything new out there better than TX200 or HW97?

Post by dustinflint »

durant7 wrote:
QUESTION. Has anyone introduced a better alternative to the TX200 or HW97? Having been away for so long I figure there may be some new tools out there. Are there any issues as to "era" of either gun? Meaning, has there been a fall off in quality suggesting one find an "earlier" version or has quality been held constant?

Thanks

Jud
No. TX200 is the way to go. Maybe upgrade the spring and seals to make it a little smoother. The new ones are still being made very well.

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

AA Prosport. I shoot a RWS 54 better then a TX but it has several short comings, mainly weight and sucky trigger unless you get a T01.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

TX is still the king of the under lever springer world. Although I would say a Prosport (which is just a TX with a different cocking arm shorter barrel and stock design) is also just as fine shooting as the TX. I wouldn't call the TX and the HW a Chevy vs Ford thing. More like a Chevy vs BMW in that I can easily work on my Chevy myself. HW's are not as user friendly to work on but they are just as well made and accurate as the TX overall. My nod goes to the TX for ease of maintenance for the casual shooter. Oh and I drive.. I mean shoot one myself.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Jud,
Come back to Texas! Haltom city needs our air shooters back on the firing line.
- Joe