Why is there not a OPEN SIGHT class

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Why is there not a OPEN SIGHT class

Post by gard72977 »

Just wondering why there is not a class for open sights. I did read where you could shoot open sights but you cannot compete against some one with a scope. I shot IHMSA in the open sight class years ago and really enjoyed it.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Why is there not a OPEN SIGHT class

Post by Bob259 »

gard72977 wrote:Just wondering why there is not a class for open sights. I did read where you could shoot open sights but you cannot compete against some one with a scope. I shot IHMSA in the open sight class years ago and really enjoyed it.
Probably more to do with the NRA trying to limit the classes to the ones most people would be active in. Less Classes = Less paperwork for them.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Nothing says you can't shoot Open Sights. I've seen it done with SB and HP. Just expect an already hard game to be even harder. :lol:
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

gard72977 wrote:Just wondering why there is not a class for open sights. I did read where you could shoot open sights but you cannot compete against some one with a scope. I shot IHMSA in the open sight class years ago and really enjoyed it.
If you have more than one person shooting open sights at a match you can have an open sight class.

Dustin
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

It would be nice to have a class where someone could get involved for a few hundred dollars. Its really hard to draw people away from cartridge competition when it cost so much to get started with a airgun.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

gard72977 wrote:It would be nice to have a class where someone could get involved for a few hundred dollars. Its really hard to draw people away from cartridge competition when it cost so much to get started with a airgun.
You can do all of that at your club. Just make a class with a stock rifle and scope that costs whatever you want it to cost. Have a match with those "stock" rifles. In our area, the vast majority of people come to air rifle from smallbore so most people are used to spending some money on equipment.

Dustin